Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,480 Posts
Generally "reflash" refers to a complete replacement of the PCM memory or a module ROM for some reason - electromagnetic interference or electrical spikes have contaminated some or all of the memory.

"Relearn" refers to a specific procedure to reset monitoring or parameters for a sensor or control - as in a CranKshaft Position sensor relearn (determines electronic timing offset between original and replacement CKP sensor(s)).

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,480 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for........BUT, relearns and reflashes are tied to the original car year and VIN. ("Hey, Joe, can you reflash my PCM to a Z rated STS program ???" Joe at the dealer: "No". "Hey Joe, when you install my new CKP's, will you do a relearn ???" Joe at the dealer: "Yes".)

·
Registered
2000 STS/2002 H.D. nightrain
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the pcm is not the oem .the crank sensors have been replaced three times and now i guess i need a re-learn.does the dealer need the car or just the pcm.legally i cant drive the car because it failed state inspection for the check engine light.i'm between a rock and a hard place

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
They will need the car for sure. You'll either be getting a tow or taking your chances with the local law enforcement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts