Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

(I've done several searches on this and can't seem to get the right query)

New to the forums - hello! I'm a mediocre self-taught mechanic, have hardly ever worked on Caddys, mainly late model Fords, and I've been hired to replace a PCM in a friend's '94 Deville with the 4.9. He took it to a dealership and they wanted 600 bucks for the job, 400 of which was the cost in parts.

He has no problem paying me the labor 200-300 bucks, and I'm fairly sure a PCM shouldn't be so nasty of a job - any of you have experience changing the engine computers on this generation of Deville (location, removal, installation..)

Thanks a lot!

Justin

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe it is under or very close to the air box. Not sure if it is a plug and play type repair, some aspects of the pcm and system may need to be reset. Never changed one before, someone should have better answers than me.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my searching I did find one post that stated it was under the airbox...may be some truth to that. I just can't imagine it's a 600 dollar job!!!

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Thats why I am thinking there is more involved than just plugging it in, unless the dealer is just trying to hustle you.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
I think the 4.9 is up under the dash on the passenger side, behind the glove box if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder what else could be involved other than disconnecting the battery, removing, and installing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts