Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Touring Coupe &1999 Eldorado Destroyed by Tim Carroll/CCC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, SES Light turned on just as I turned into my driveway yesterday evening. Ran codes and had PCM P0507 Current. Found some very informative threads on this forum.

This morning I pulled the IAC Valve out. It wasn't dirty to speak of, nor was the chamber. I noticed that the orange seal is in pretty bad shape. Part of it on one side was cut off -- although the seal isn't broken and it came apart so now its two seals one on top of the other. Both round and not broken.

I went ahead and cleaned the IAC and wiped out the chamber and carefully reinserted the IAC, screwed it back down, did the relearn sequence that I read about here.

The car started normally and the code went to History and the SES Light went out. Due to the seals poor condition I expect this issue to arise again. This IAC Valve is only two years old.

Is the orange seal a generic type seal that I could find at an auto parts store? What would you do if you needed to replace that seal?

2002 Eldorado VIN 9 231,250 miles

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,183 Posts
Either try to match it at several parts stores - silicone O-ring boxes, or pull a few IACs from pick-a-part yards.

hell - you could also substitute a correct-size neoprene O-ring.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was hoping it was something like that.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,183 Posts
If you decide to replace the entire IAC, don't be fooled by the "AC Delco" pricing in RockAuto. Use either the DELPHI or the UltraPower pieces.

Here's the DELPHI piece - and DELPHI is/was/may again be a HUGE part of the GM/AC Delco parts business empire.

CV10012A__ra_p.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Two years ago, right after I got back from Jake's, I replaced the IAC Valve with the Delphi part and I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor with an ACDELCO part. I don't think that I've had either back out which is why I'm surprised to see the orange seal was in bad shape. It's entirely possible that I didn't seat it properly or disturbed the seal somehow when I inserted it.

I'm taking it in the morning to have the Fitzall bearing and CV Axel installed in the drivers side. I just found out last Friday that it is leaking. My mechanic is also a personal friend and I was planning on asking him if he had a box of seals laying around I could go through and see if there is one to fit. If not I'll go to the hardware store.

Also about that driver's side axel seal -- I know the sign is a leak on the driver's side by the tire -- but I never had that. I noticed a leak on the passenger side which I thought was a powersteering leak -- he installed a rack and pinion back in June.

He had it up on the rack last Friday to do an oil change and look for the power steering leak, I was under the car with him and we traced it down to the CV Axel seal leaking.

How the leak was making it all the way to the other side of the car has me stumped. I think it was caught pretty early though but we're dropping the pan, replacing the filters and upgrading to Dexron 6 which I had been planning to do for awhile now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update -- the Teckpak/Fitzall KT94125LB (CV Axel, Bearing & Seal) installation went in with no problems. The shudder and slipage seems to have went away as well. I'm very pleased with it so far. My transmission pan was clean but I did notice there was some tiny metal pieces that looked sort of like salt sprinkles inside the CV Axel that fits over the bearing. I refilled the tranny with 9 quarts of Dexron 6.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts