Cadillac Owners Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,978 Posts
Re: PCM P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

The AIR operates only briefly during cold/cool startup to light off the cat, and even that run possibility or run time is determined by coolant temp, ambient air temp, black magic and the phase of the moon.

You might (might) go a whole summer and never hear it run. Now, during those cool fall mornings, it will run more frequently.

·
Registered
2001 Deville
2 Posts
It was a bad ground on the pump to the block. The bolt connecting it to the block was missing a washer in and would make contact occasionally. Hopefully that did it. Thanks for replying

·
Registered
2002 DTS 92'deville 99'deville
6 Posts
Just a side note, I am under the impression that when my AIR PUMP went out, It took about 1-3 months before my CAT was Clogged. I replaced the cat at 150,000K and 1-3 months later My CAT was clogged again. My question to you is "Does the introduction of fresh air in the 'Cold Start' prevent Cat clogging emissions?" in other words, Did the air pump failure cause my cat to plug in those 1-3 months? Keywords: AIR PUMP, plugged CAT, Thanks guys. JM

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,622 Posts
I don't think the CAT failure is AIR pump related. All the AIR pump does is blow fresh air into the exhaust to light the CAT off quicker. Kind of like a blacksmith using bellows to blow fresh air into the coals to get the fire hotter and the metal heated to a workable temperature. The quicker the CAT lights, the quicker it does it's job. It's strictly an emission related thing mandated by the EPA.

·
Registered
2002 DTS 92'deville 99'deville
6 Posts
I'm at a loss.. What would cause me to go through two $600 CATS in 6 months?? Clean synthetic oil, only Shell Premium gas, New filters Air/oil ect? :thepan:

·
Registered
2002 Seville SLS
13 Posts
I purchased my 02 Seville with some bad strut mounts and I live in a hilly location, so I would bottom out all the time. Eventually, after enough scraping, the filter box below the car just ripped off, leaving the tubing hanging down and the blower sucking dirty air from beneath.
I got around to fixing the struts earlier this weekend and while doing this I decided to just remove the darn thing entirely. It is unnecessary, I feel, in warmer climate zones. And it only runs at a cold boot. Car seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
juniormyrick said:
Clean synthetic oil, only Shell Premium gas, New filters Air/oil ect? :thepan:
All irrelevant to the cat. Has anyone check for a faulty FPR?

----------

skuppej said:
I purchased my 02 Seville with some bad strut mounts and I live in a hilly location, so I would bottom out all the time. Eventually, after enough scraping, the filter box below the car just ripped off, leaving the tubing hanging down and the blower sucking dirty air from beneath.
I got around to fixing the struts earlier this weekend and while doing this I decided to just remove the darn thing entirely. It is unnecessary, I feel, in warmer climate zones. And it only runs at a cold boot. Car seems to be working fine.
Bad strut mounts don't cause bottoming out.

An inop A.I.R. system won't do any harm to the car. However, it is an emissions system. A proem with the system will set a code and the SES light will remain on. An automatic fail for emissions testing.

Also, FWIW, a cat operates at 1,200-1,600 degrees. The A.I.R. system gets it up to temp quicker. A 50 degree difference between a "cold climate" and a "warm climate" is completely irrelevant.

·
Super Moderator
86,622 Posts
I'm at a loss.. What would cause me to go through two $600 CATS in 6 months?? Clean synthetic oil, only Shell Premium gas, New filters Air/oil ect? :thepan:
:yeah: A rich running engine can dump raw fuel into the CAT and burn it up.

·
Registered
2002 Seville SLS
13 Posts
our cars do not have sirens from the factory -
sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm system -
and THAT is going to add further complications to a radio install
Nope, this a stock feature of the CTD. My Chilton's manual describes this behavior exactly.

I doubt you could even find a full set for that cheap -
you could buy a subscription to All-Data -
Yeah, if I can win this auction haha.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Cadillac-Seville-Service-Shop-Manuals-I-II-/181298889160?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2a364181c8&vxp=mtr

And, yeah, I gave http://www.eautorepair.net (Mitchell1) a shot a month ago and was *not* impressed. It was like reading an even more disorganized Haynes/Chiltons on the computer.
Is alldatadiy the preferred resource?

----------

----------

Bad strut mounts don't cause bottoming out.

An inop A.I.R. system won't do any harm to the car. However, it is an emissions system. A proem with the system will set a code and the SES light will remain on. An automatic fail for emissions testing.

Also, FWIW, a cat operates at 1,200-1,600 degrees. The A.I.R. system gets it up to temp quicker. A 50 degree difference between a "cold climate" and a "warm climate" is completely irrelevant.

Funny, because I changed out the strut mounts and now it doesn't bottom-out anymore ;)

Smog check is coming up and I am now wondering how I may be able to find a replacement for the entire unit for less than $200..

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Then what you were hearing/feeling wasn't bottoming out. It was just the mount.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,978 Posts
Re: PCM P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

This thread is 6 years old, with the last germane post well over a year ago.

............ and use the Chilton to mop up oil spills.

Alldata is good for instant gratification - and it's the GM service manuals plus a LOT more - all DTCs, RPOs, recalls, TSBs, labor times, some original parts retail pricing, some annotated tech tips, some recent updates - but you have to learn how to surf the huge site - there's a staggering amount of info.

The paper manuals are not updated - my Seville hard copy set is the second printing, 02/02, and my Alldata has some newer info than that.

·
Registered
1992 Seville, 2002 Eldorado ETC
70 Posts
I don't think the CAT failure is AIR pump related. All the AIR pump does is blow fresh air into the exhaust to light the CAT off quicker. Kind of like a blacksmith using bellows to blow fresh air into the coals to get the fire hotter and the metal heated to a workable temperature. The quicker the CAT lights, the quicker it does it's job. It's strictly an emission related thing mandated by the EPA.
Got the code about a month ago right after changing a bank 1 O2 sensor.

So safe to drive the vehicle with a bad AIR pump for the time being? Have noticed mine coming on intermittently while driving, when previously it was only on during cold starts.

Since my state does not do emissions testing, is there a way to just go without it? Can the code be deleted somehow with a tuner?

·
Super Moderator
86,622 Posts
Yes it is safe to run without the AIR pump. It is strictly for emissions control at startup.

You can either unplug it at the pump (more of a blower) or pull the controlling fuse.

You can clear the DTC via the onboard diagnostics, but it will keep returning every time it detects the fault, which will be every cold start.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts