Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,978 Posts
Re: PCM P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

Jack up the driver's front wheel and remove it and the inner fender liner. The A.I.R. pump is in there, sort of under and outboard of the surge tank area. It comes out with an electrical connector and hoses. Half hour. No reason you can't jump it across 12V to see if it runs. There are replacements and kits, one of which moves the air intake hose up into the engine compartment to prevent water intrusion. (No need to do the hose insert into the intake duct, however - that's for silence, not clean air......wire tie it up in there somewhere.) Also check the gray connector/relay block which is bracketed to the passenger side strut tower. That's the A.I.R. pump feed and relay.

The U codes are data streams, usually - not a big deal. They come and go like the wind.

B1860 is the driver's lumbar seat cushion adjuster malfunction. Under seat connectors, usually.

My A.I.R. pump is quiet - very hard to hear, and it does not operate every time, cold or hot start. No codes, so I don't fool with it..........

·
Registered
Cadillac Seville 2002
35 Posts

Jack up the driver's front wheel and remove it and the inner fender liner. The A.I.R. pump is in there, sort of under and outboard of the surge tank area. It comes out with an electrical connector and hoses. Half hour. No reason you can't jump it across 12V to see if it runs. There are replacements and kits, one of which moves the air intake hose up into the engine compartment to prevent water intrusion. (No need to do the hose insert into the intake duct, however - that's for silence, not clean air......wire tie it up in there somewhere.) Also check the gray connector/relay block which is bracketed to the passenger side strut tower. That's the A.I.R. pump feed and relay.

The U codes are data streams, usually - not a big deal. They come and go like the wind.

B1860 is the driver's lumbar seat cushion adjuster malfunction. Under seat connectors, usually.

My A.I.R. pump is quiet - very hard to hear, and it does not operate every time, cold or hot start. No codes, so I don't fool with it..........
Thanks, Submariner. Great answers and I appreciate the quick response. As soon as I have some time I'll check it out and report back.
Deke
Mikado MI

·
Registered
2003 Deville DHS
8 Posts

I just went through the same thing with PCM P0410. Replaced the air pump and vaccuum solenoid, neither fixed the problem. It was the rear air valve, got it at junkyard for $75, better than $200 new. Finally had to find the real problem as the car would not pass emission testing for NY. It was easy to hear the difference of the front valve (which opened) when the vacuum was applied vs the rear which stayed closed. If you take the air pump hose off the valves (and they open with vaccuum), you can hear the noise from the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2001 cadillac seville sts
3 Posts

Code, has any one been working on the water pump lately?

Usually there is a big check valve mounted over the water pump cover and another on the rear cam cover. Under the engine cover in the back center of the top of the engine there is a solenoid with a vacuum line that splits and goes to both check valves. If that hose is disconnected on either end or broken, or if the solenoid is disconnected it will set a P0410.
If the hose is disconnected, will it cause the pump not to run. Mechanic ran power to pump and it didn't run. He didn't check the hoses.

Thanks,
Sparky

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,622 Posts

If the hose is disconnected, will it cause the pump not to run.
No, it's just air supply.

·
Administrator
67,978 Posts

You can jumper the pump leads to do a test, but that pump supplies fresh air to the exhaust manifolds in order to light off the cat quickly from cold start. Lots of conditions control on and off times, so the pump must be controlled by the emissions system and PCM.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts

There is a maxi fuse in the underhood fuse block check to see if it is blown.
If it is, the thing has probabaly sucked in water.
If you power and ground the pump and it won't run, it is bad.

Doing so might be tricky.
I have access to the scan tool so I go to the special functions and turn the pump on that way.

·
Super Moderator
86,622 Posts

Bill, do you know when they fixed the water ingestion problem? Just wondering if a failure is in my future.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
4 Posts

Hey Ranger I need your input.
i just finished replacing both front and rear check valves on 2001 DTS. I will detail my adventure in a different post. The engine light is still on will it clear itself or will I have to get it cleared?
Must say the rear valve was a pain getting to the bottom mount bolt and the hose screws.
But please look over my post and see if its something you can add to make the experience more pleasant for other DIYers.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
86,622 Posts

If that was the cause of the SES light and you fixed it, the light will go out and the code will go to history after 3 successful ignition cycles with no failure detected, unless you clear the code yourself.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
4 Posts

Thanks
It didnt go out so I took it to a mechanic who cleared it for $25. He said everything came back clear and ready. Found out that Au Zo parts store can only give you the code but they are not suppose to clear?
Thanks again

·
Administrator
67,978 Posts

Learn to pull, read, and clear your own codes. The sticky thread at the top of this main page or up in Seville and Deville: "How to pull codes". Read the entire post, then pull your codes and return to the post and click on the link with "obd2" in the URL, then click on the P,B,C, and U links in the Main Index box.

Ranger, if you can fabricate dogbones, you can run a longer AIR tube up into the engine compartment - that's the water problem right there.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts

Ranger,

Basically 2000 to 2003.
The latest TSB is version G and it is dated June 5, 2006.
It varies depending on the model.

·
Super Moderator
86,622 Posts

I'll look into that Jim, but based on what Bill said I probably do not have to.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts

As you probably know the revised air intake has a box that clips to the inner fender to get air from the air box rather than just drawing air through a screen in the front part of the fender well.
They still manage to get water in them. Not the best place to mount an AIR pump.

·
Super Moderator
86,622 Posts

Thanks Bill. I'll have to have a look see. I've never checked it (or had a problem with it......yet) so I don't even know what the air pump looks like.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts

Thanks Bill. I'll have to have a look see. I've never checked it (or had a problem with it......yet) so I don't even know what the air pump looks like.
Hitting a Ford Explorer at speed gives you easy access to the air pump and associated plumbing. #2 in the pic is the pump. #1 is the revised plumbing that attaches high up inside the fender.

Jim

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts

Wow, I have never tried that method to access the hose before.
Looks like that one has the updated parts from what I can see.
Don't be offended but I might do it the old fashioned way.... ;)

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts

Wow, I have never tried that method to access the hose before.
Looks like that one has the updated parts from what I can see.
Don't be offended but I might do it the old fashioned way.... ;)
Reassembly is much more expensive if you do it my way ;-)

Jim

41 - 60 of 94 Posts