Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. :(

Although I am very happy with my first Cadillac, auto-repair anxiety never seems to be too far away!

I have a 1996 Cadillac Seville STS. The amber colored "Service Engine Soon" light comes on intermittently. When it does, the instrument panel message centre posts a sentence saying: "SERVICE TRANSMISSION" by "EXP 100". When I consulted the Cadillac owners manual for further details, it just gives a very general synopsis saying that the on-board diagnostic system has identified a problem with the transaxle system, to then take your vehicle into the dealership for servicing.

So I took it to my personal mechanic (you know, the one's you pay in cash) and he showed me the hand-held computer reader that showed me "PC0717". He said that it is the "Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit - No Signal" (I still don't know what that means...it appeared that he does not know either). So he said he "replaced" the sensor that is sitting on the "outside" of the engine (help me out here forum members) and I paid $160 in cash. However, the problem came back. So then he took the car to one of his transmission people that told him that it is a "BIG JOB" that requires them to replace the sensor. He said that they have to take the entire transmission out (and the "throttle body") to get to the "inside" sensor. He quoted me anywhere from a minimum of $2000-$4000!!! Wow! :bonkers:

So I then took it to the used car dealer I purchased it from and he said that his transmission shop they deal with looked at it and said that there is nothing wrong with the transmission. (I agree with them).

Now as I said earlier, the light and message come on intermittently. Sometimes it comes on and then it disappears. The car runs well, the gears shift as smooth as silk and there is no jerking or other noticeable annoyances. Having said that, there is sometimes a very subtle vibration/choppy idling ONLY when I am stopped at a red light. When I try putting it in (N)eutral, it gets even quieter. However this is not all the time.

So I have finally and reluctantly scheduled an appointment with the GM Cadillac dealership. I told them in advance the code that is coming up and asked them to look into it.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED. :worship:

Sargon
Toronto/Canada

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Before your transmission starts to behave badly, use your time to locate a reputable shop with Caddy experience (usually a non-franchise shop) to replace your faulty sensor. No telling how much time you have, but it does not have to be a $2k+ repair bill; eight hours labor plus parts should do the job.

The throttle body diagnosis is confusing unless you are seeing other "P" codes in addition to P0717.

Good luck...

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JimD,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply. This is what I did....

I took it to the GM Cadillac dealership and they pulled out the entire transmission and replaced the faulty sensor. They then put it back together again, put in all new trans fluid and a new trans filter. There were also some seals inside the trans that were replaced (per the recommendation from the dealer). The entire job was around 10 hours of labour and it came (in Canadian funds) to around $1800. (That's including our lovely 15% Canadian tax!!!)

The warranty they give on the parts and labour is 20,000 kilometers or 12 months (whichever comes first).

Thanks again!

Sargon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sargon said:
JimD,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply. This is what I did....

I took it to the GM Cadillac dealership and they pulled out the entire transmission and replaced the faulty sensor. They then put it back together again, put in all new trans fluid and a new trans filter. There were also some seals inside the trans that were replaced (per the recommendation from the dealer). The entire job was around 10 hours of labour and it came (in Canadian funds) to around $1800. (That's including our lovely 15% Canadian tax!!!)

The warranty they give on the parts and labour is 20,000 kilometers or 12 months (whichever comes first).

Thanks again!

Sargon

I have a ’96 ElDo and recently went through the same thing.
The GM dealer told me that although the there was nothing wrong with the transmission, the bad sensor would eventually create problems if I didn’t have it replaced. Spent about the same amount of $ as you did – almost all of it labor dropping the trani. Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts