Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was my turn to have the problem with the wires that read the resistor on the ignition key, or at least that is what I thought. This is in my 93 Coupe Deville. I had a funny feeling after the last 3 times starting it up I was going to have a problem. I would have to turn the ignition switch a second time before the starter would crank. After the first time I decided to park it in my driveway so it wouldn't be in a spot where my other car was blocked in the garage. The battery was getting weak, (five years old ), so I went down to the parts store and got an exchange, took it home, installed the new battery and the engine would not crank. So I just decided the wire or contacts to the key in the ignition had failed like I had read about so many times before. I dug in and found the orange insulation over the pair of small white wires and cut them. I found some resistors to match my key and soldered them in place. Still wouldn't start so I decided to dig out the FSM that I invested in years ago shortly after i bought this car. Went through page after page of the diagnostics and wiring diagrams and in the end the problem pointed to the Passkey module. So I figured, dig in and get it out, go to the junkyard and go back home and hope to find the correct resistor value for a bypass. The passkey module was located in near one of the deepest places to put any one of the modules, right behind the relay center fuse block on the passenger side. It really wasn't that bad to get to, just had to find it. I removed the glovebox, removed the underdash panel, removed the heater control module on the rh side of heater/ac housing, removed the power train control module ( only from location leaving wiring connected, and removed the 2 screws holding the passkey module on the backside of the fuseblock relay center. When I removed the wiring connector it was obvious there was a problem with a pin on the module and it was the pin that gets constant power. It is the only module under the dash that has the terminal block facing up, which got moisture somehow from under the dash in the past and leaked down into the socket and what appeared to corrode the pin until it finally lost connection. So I removed the cover and decided to try doing a bypass wire from the backside of the connector block out to the power wire. After struggling to get the terminal from the wiring socket I was able to get a pin to fit the terminal while out of the socket and heat shrinked some tube over it to insulate it from shorting on something. When I tested it, it still wouldn't crank so I went back to my ignition wires and checked the continuity when I had the key in the ignition and it had a good continuous reading so I removed the resistors and soldered the wire back up the way they were - engine fired right up then. So once again my FSM paid for itself.

I used a piece of paper clip soldered onto the end of the wire to make up the pin to slide into the wire terminal removed from the socket.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,268 Posts
Well it was my turn to have the problem with the wires that read the resistor on the ignition key, or at least that is what I thought. This is in my 93 Coupe Deville. I had a funny feeling after the last 3 times starting it up I was going to have a problem. I would have to turn the ignition switch a second time before the starter would crank. After the first time I decided to park it in my driveway so it wouldn't be in a spot where my other car was blocked in the garage. The battery was getting weak, (five years old ), so I went down to the parts store and got an exchange, took it home, installed the new battery and the engine would not crank. So I just decided the wire or contacts to the key in the ignition had failed like I had read about so many times before. I dug in and found the orange insulation over the pair of small white wires and cut them. I found some resistors to match my key and soldered them in place. Still wouldn't start so I decided to dig out the FSM that I invested in years ago shortly after i bought this car. Went through page after page of the diagnostics and wiring diagrams and in the end the problem pointed to the Passkey module. So I figured, dig in and get it out, go to the junkyard and go back home and hope to find the correct resistor value for a bypass. The passkey module was located in near one of the deepest places to put any one of the modules, right behind the relay center fuse block on the passenger side. It really wasn't that bad to get to, just had to find it. I removed the glovebox, removed the underdash panel, removed the heater control module on the rh side of heater/ac housing, removed the power train control module ( only from location leaving wiring connected, and removed the 2 screws holding the passkey module on the backside of the fuseblock relay center. When I removed the wiring connector it was obvious there was a problem with a pin on the module and it was the pin that gets constant power. It is the only module under the dash that has the terminal block facing up, which got moisture somehow from under the dash in the past and leaked down into the socket and what appeared to corrode the pin until it finally lost connection. So I removed the cover and decided to try doing a bypass wire from the backside of the connector block out to the power wire. After struggling to get the terminal from the wiring socket I was able to get a pin to fit the terminal while out of the socket and heat shrinked some tube over it to insulate it from shorting on something. When I tested it, it still wouldn't crank so I went back to my ignition wires and checked the continuity when I had the key in the ignition and it had a good continuous reading so I removed the resistors and soldered the wire back up the way they were - engine fired right up then. So once again my FSM paid for itself.

I used a piece of paper clip soldered onto the end of the wire to make up the pin to slide into the wire terminal removed from the socket.

======================
hey Dennis - we've missed you -

nice write-up - should go to the Tech Tips forum -
it will definitely help someone -:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks Basscatt! Sure if it will help anybody, then let's move it to the Tech Tips Forum.

On the other note, it's been a busy past couple years for me. Lost my wife to cancer. Followed orders from her - go buy that Cadillac you always wanted. Finally found my dream car and have been spending time with it. Yes, it is a Cadillac.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
dennis93coupe said:
Hey thanks Basscatt! Sure if it will help anybody, then let's move it to the Tech Tips Forum. On the other note, it's been a busy past couple years for me. Lost my wife to cancer. Followed orders from her - go buy that Cadillac you always wanted. Finally found my dream car and have been spending time with it. Yes, it is a Cadillac.
Wow sorry to hear of your loss. =\ glad you got your ride =) what year and model? Excellent post =D

·
19,268 Posts
Hey thanks Basscatt! Sure if it will help anybody, then let's move it to the Tech Tips Forum.

On the other note, it's been a busy past couple years for me. Lost my wife to cancer. Followed orders from her - go buy that Cadillac you always wanted. Finally found my dream car and have been spending time with it. Yes, it is a Cadillac.
=====================

Lost my wife to cancer.
so sorry for your loss -

Followed orders from her -
go buy that Cadillac you always wanted.

always thinking of you -
sounds like she was a very special lady -

---------

so - what did you get?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you guys. I bought a 2006 XLR base in Feb 2014. Thought it was the one I would be most happy with. It was the color exterior and interior I wanted, Infrared with ebony interior. Later I found out they only made something like 121 of them that year. Finding a good XLR with low miles at a decent price isn't that easy. I did a couple upgrades, put a V exhaust on it and bought some chrome V wheels for it which never got put on. Then I found a 2009 XLR-V with 5634 miles. Needless to say I fell in love and had to have it. So home she came and a few months later I got the 2006 base sold. The V is Crystal red with Ebony interior and cashmere inserts in the seats and door panels. They only made 6 with the color exterior and interior combination. XLRs had an extremely low production with I think less the 17,000 made in 6 model years. They only made 892 in 2009 and only 239 were a V. Here is a slide show if you are interested.

http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/dennis93coupe/slideshow/2009 XLR-V?sort=3

Yes, basscatt, my late wife was very special.

·
19,268 Posts
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you guys. I bought a 2006 XLR base in Feb 2014. Thought it was the one I would be most happy with. It was the color exterior and interior I wanted, Infrared with ebony interior. Later I found out they only made something like 121 of them that year. Finding a good XLR with low miles at a decent price isn't that easy. I did a couple upgrades, put a V exhaust on it and bought some chrome V wheels for it which never got put on. Then I found a 2009 XLR-V with 5634 miles. Needless to say I fell in love and had to have it. So home she came and a few months later I got the 2006 base sold. The V is Crystal red with Ebony interior and cashmere inserts in the seats and door panels. They only made 6 with the color exterior and interior combination. XLRs had an extremely low production with I think less the 17,000 made in 6 model years. They only made 892 in 2009 and only 239 were a V. Here is a slide show if you are interested.

http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/dennis93coupe/slideshow/2009 XLR-V?sort=3

Yes, basscatt, my late wife was very special.
========================

very nice - :thumbsup:
and mama smiles :yup: every time you take her for a ride - :inlove:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts