Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Passive dampers have a fixed amount of oil flow restriction, thus a fixed amount of damping (stifness)

An active damper can vary it's damping forced, to react to different driving/road conditions. They do this in 2 ways.

The older F45 system used a variable orifice, which is adjusted by a small actuator on the side of the amped.

The newer F55/MagneRide/MRC system is mechanically simpler, more reliable, and faster. It uses a fixed orifice, and magneto theological fluid. The fluid is full of microscopic metallic flakes. When an electromagnetic field is applied, the fluid thickens/becomes more viscous. The more electricity applied, the more viscous the fluid becomes, the former the damper becomes.

·
Registered
ESCALADE ESV PLATINUM
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank's moistcabbage for that explanation.it was better than the lady at arnott gave me earlier.she just said it only affects the escalade like at 90 to 120 mph.so i told her i barely drive over 75 she said than it wouldnt affect my driving if i switch to passive shocks.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
caprice man 76 said:
thank's moistcabbage for that explanation.it was better than the lady at arnott gave me earlier.she just said it only affects the escalade like at 90 to 120 mph.so i told her i barely drive over 75 she said than it wouldnt affect my driving if i switch to passive shocks.
That's a bs claim they use to sell they're crap shocks

My mom's 02 stiffens at 45+ and is completely different from passive shocks

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
It's not a speed sensitive system. It's CVRSS (Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension), or MagneRide. Both systems "continuously" change the damping force based on many inputs. It's also tied into the stability system. That said, most drivers won't notice much difference unless they're driving pretty aggressively.

·
Registered
ESCALADE ESV PLATINUM
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good info thanks
It's not a speed sensitive system. It's CVRSS (Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension), or MagneRide. Both systems "continuously" change the damping force based on many inputs. It's also tied into the stability system. That said, most drivers won't notice much difference unless they're driving pretty aggressively.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
MoistCabbage said:
Um yes it is as it shows in my gm service manual that the suspension control module gets a speed feed from the pcm
The stability system is part of the Ebcm and also gets a speed sensor feed

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
I just installed rear air Bilstein AS-2700s on my 2006 ESV. I can't tell the difference in the ride from the OEM ones. Other than they don't leak air anymore! Saved me over $800 vs going OEM.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Huddy said:
I just installed rear air Bilstein AS-2700s on my 2006 ESV. I can't tell the difference in the ride from the OEM ones. Other than they don't leak air anymore! Saved me over $800 vs going OEM.
Did the oem shocks work?
If they was blown then you don't know the difference

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Huddy said:
how much it cost you?

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
the cadillac man said:
Was the service ride control message displaying on the information center? If so then the system was in passive mode
No, there was no DIC message. I had a really slow leak in the shocks after they would pump up. Bladders would be full when I stopped the truck, but then within 30-40mins would be soft. Truck ran good, and I'm liking the ride on the Bilsteins. Also my compressor isn't working as hard now.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Huddy said:
No, there was no DIC message. I had a really slow leak in the shocks after they would pump up. Bladders would be full when I stopped the truck, but then within 30-40mins would be soft. Truck ran good, and I'm liking the ride on the Bilsteins. Also my compressor isn't working as hard now.
A slow leak will cause the system to shut the compressor off due to overheating
Though it won't always show the message

1 - 20 of 24 Posts