Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'05 cts-v
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with B&B headers and x pipe (no cats) know if you will pass the emissions test with this set up? I know states vary, I am in Texas which I think has the most lenient policy...any input or experience would be helpful. Ive got to get inspected by Oct. and Im wondering if I need to start looking for a "friendly" shop:) Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Redline
743 Posts
Anyone with B&B headers and x pipe (no cats) know if you will pass the emissions test with this set up? I know states vary, I am in Texas which I think has the most lenient policy...any input or experience would be helpful. Ive got to get inspected by Oct. and Im wondering if I need to start looking for a "friendly" shop:) Thanks guys!
The friendly shop, is a shop everyone should have....

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
In Texas all of the original emission control equipment is supposed to be intact, the computer should show no emission-related DTCs, and the exhaust output put must be below certain thresholds. The second two requirements, in theory at least, are easy to enforce. Enforcement of the first one vary's simply because individual inspectors may overlook missing emissions equipment or fail to notice tampering with such devices. For example, at least one forum member has reported passing a Texas test with no cats. This obviously required inspector error.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
130 Posts
In Texas too.... Cats are required. Even if they don't look for them, the tail pipe sniffer will likely fail it.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Of course cats are required in every state. What the BigAndy is asking is if exhausts sans cats will pass the sensors.

In MA, my healthy '92 SHO passed sans cats...barely.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Of course cats are required in every state. What the BigAndy is asking is if exhausts sans cats will pass the sensors.

In MA, my healthy '92 SHO passed sans cats...barely.
Passing without cats in Texas is unlikely, but not unheard of. Basically, you cannot count on it because: (1) you must pass the sensors; AND (2) your inspector has to forget to look under the car.

·
Registered
'05 cts-v
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so basically i need to find an inspector who likes a $50 dollar tip for an inspection sticker, lol. Damnit!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It totally depends on the type of test equipment they use.
In VA we use a dyno only for older cars or "remote sensing" cars.
Anything newer than '96 gets what DEQ refers to as an OBD test.
Basically you connect a lead to the DLC under the dash and it checks the computer to see if the flags are set and if there are any codes.
Basically if the car has been driven for a while without clearing the codes and the CEL is not on it will pass.
If you have that kind of aftermarket setup then the catalyst monitors are probably turned off or you have simulators.
Out here you might pass an OBD, but you'd never make it on the dyno with the 4 gas analyzer.

If they use 4 gas on every inspection it is unlikely you will pass, if it is an OBD test and you don't see the CEL, you probably will.
I have no real knowledge of the testing they use in TX so I can't really say one way or another.

Good luck I guess.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Test Method: Model Year 1996 and newer vehicles will be subject to On-board Diagnostic (OBD) testing and Model Year 1995 and older vehicles will be subject to Two Speed Idle (TSI) testing.
Heck, they probably use the same equipment we use.
If they look under the car and see something that looks like a catalytic converter you should be good.
If you don't have converters at all you might just fail.
We have to do a visual on the converter, then do the OBD test.
As I said, if you don't have a CEL on you will probably pass an OBD test.
(it has to work... it just can't be on with codes)

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Heck, they probably use the same equipment we use.
If they look under the car and see something that looks like a catalytic converter you should be good.
If you don't have converters at all you might just fail.
We have to do a visual on the converter, then do the OBD test.
As I said, if you don't have a CEL on you will probably pass an OBD test.
(it has to work... it just can't be on with codes)
Thank you. Nice to know even though I am currently stock on emissions-related stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts