Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Coupe DeVille
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - need an opinion ... my passenger side exhaust manifold is leaking. It doesnt sound too bad at all. I did get a new exhaust pipe installed but did not touch the manifold.

Party due to rust on the cylinder head and on the screws holding the manifold. I am concerned about breaking the heads while we try to unscrew these in order to install new gaskets. Any takes, advice, experiences?

·
Registered
Something German S, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
502 Posts
Get the engine up to operating temp then give it a moment to set. While it is still hot that is going to be your best chance, go slow might have to play with it back and forth maybe some penetrating oil. To warn you sometimes they break off and there's nothing you can do, just how they are sometimes.

But while the motor is hot that is your best chance. Strongly suggest you get new bolts when you change the gaskets and use anti seize on the bolts.

·
Registered
1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172
551 Posts
Soak the crap out of it for days with a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone. I did mine, and all came off easier than I thought. Give it a several days of soaking. Don't get any on the paint and put something under the engine compartment.
And DON'T apply it when it is hot.
Odds are that the bolt heads have rusted and shrunk in size. 9/16/// 14mm sticks in my head but don't quote me on that. Use good quality wrenches/sockets as you will probably bend something. The rear ones are hard to get to with the a/c lines. You can see them, but no room for a wrench/socket and a cheater bar.
Have fun,
Jeff

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
In addition to good quality, I would add, 6 point not 12 point sockets and wrenches.

·
Registered
Something German S, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
502 Posts
Another good example why the Cadillacforums are great. Enough info out there to get the job done with some left over.

·
Registered
1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172
551 Posts
Yes, 6 point. Make it something you can take back if you break it "Craftsman" or the like. I have a Stanley ratchet set in a good case that I use here at the house and it works fine but I had to wait for them to mail me a replacement when I broke it. We have Craftsman stuff at the airport. I brought the Craftsman back because it is easy to exchange when you break them. I don't have a breaker bar and I broke the ratchet... A trip to Sears and we had it fixed (They fix them now instead of just replacing them). Just take the time to make sure the socket/wrench is on the bolt squarely.
Jeff
Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts