Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Cadillac CTS Luxury 3.6L
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a '16 CTS and obviously it has the passenger seat detection feature where it enables the airbag if a certain amount of weight is detected in the seat. It will also sound a chime every once in a while if the passenger isn't wearing a seatbelt.

My issue is that I can lie my phone in the passenger seat (as I often do) and the weight of my phone alone is enough to make the car think that someone is sitting in the passenger seat, thus leading to the annoying and continuous chimes. I feel like I should be able to put a few things in my passenger seat without it thinking someone's sitting in it and I don't recall having this issue in my previous GM vehicle.

Is this behavior normal? And if not, any idea what could be causing the issue and whether it would be a pricey fix or not?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2015 V-Sport
599 Posts
This has happened to me as well though only occasionally and has not happened in quite some time, come to think of it!

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS Luxury RWD 2.0T
39 Posts
My phone will set off passenger seat chime only if it is charging. I have also seen the charging factor come up in other forums here. Try it both ways and see if there is a difference for you.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
2,064 Posts
Hi all, I have a '16 CTS and obviously it has the passenger seat detection feature where it enables the airbag if a certain amount of weight is detected in the seat. It will also sound a chime every once in a while if the passenger isn't wearing a seatbelt.

My issue is that I can lie my phone in the passenger seat (as I often do) and the weight of my phone alone is enough to make the car think that someone is sitting in the passenger seat, thus leading to the annoying and continuous chimes. I feel like I should be able to put a few things in my passenger seat without it thinking someone's sitting in it and I don't recall having this issue in my previous GM vehicle.

Is this behavior normal? And if not, any idea what could be causing the issue and whether it would be a pricey fix or not?

Thanks for any input.
Just fasten the seat belt to stop the chimes

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
788 Posts
The occupant sensor in the seat is not weight based it uses an electrical field. That is why your phone sets it off. I had the same problem with my 2011 CTS and have it with my ELR as well.

·
Registered
2015 CTS Performance
58 Posts
I always set my phone, wallet, and keys on the passenger seat, sometimes more, and have never once had this problem. I do not typically charge my phone there but must have over the years, no problem.

One thing I have seen in general is a cheap 12V USB charger adapter causing interference in the car. My wife's XLR wouldn't start once and removing the charger from the outlet solved the problem. Just yesterday my wife had one plugged into my truck outlet while we were driving and all the sudden the truck beeper stared beeping like mad for no reason. I pulled the charger out and beeping stopped. That one goes in the trash. If this may be related, try another brand or direct to the car USB.

·
Registered
2016 Cadillac CTS Luxury 3.6L
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are awesome, I was seriously close to taking it to a shop to figure out what was wrong with it. But I did the test with the phone by unplugging it and sure enough, the airbag didn't enable when unplugged!

The reason I keep it plugged in is because I use android auto so it's always been a habit of mine to plug it in and lay it down in the passenger seat. Guess I'll find a better place to store it while I drive from now on.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS Luxury RWD 2.0T
39 Posts
I figured that was the case. I wirelessly charge in CUE compartment after I upgraded wireless charge system. It works great and charges as quick as using a USB C connection. I am not sure you can update your year, but I got the kit from 404 and it was easy swap. Of course, no wire, no car play.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts