Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks my dad has passed on his Cadillac to me but it is in need of some TLC. For example I was doing a simple Strut exchange and when I started to take things apart I found just about everything in the front had to be replaced. From the rotors, calipers, pads, tie rod ends and ball joints, not only that but I also found the stablizer bar bolts were about to fall off.

So I have undertaken the task to rebuild this beauty. Not looking for new part although I will not turn them away. The car is light blue in color with a white canvas top and the enterior is also the same light blue. What I need are both front and back leather seats, the electrical antenna, it has a good drivers arm rest but could use a better one, one center hubcap cover marron in color. It also looks like he must have struck or tapped something or someone cause the front headliner is broken. Not bad but enough that I want to replace before I paint.

Also, I need and can not seem to find these window guides that hold the window in place and allow the power motor to push the windows up and down. Sorry for the vage description but I do not know what you call them! They are white in color and oval shaped with three holes in it and the motor arm 's puch rod goes into it.

So if anyone is looking to unload some parts please send me an e-mail at [email protected]

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
A junkyard is the best bet for most of this. Blue leather is not too difficult to find in decent condition. The drivers armrest is extremely rare to find in good condition but they do make caps for them which If I remember are on ebay and I think they sell them trough JCWhitney. The antenna is easy to get and test from a yard but you really should test it before driving off. Just plug it in to your antenna harness and make sure its goes up and down when the radio is on or off.

Good luck. Sounds like a nice color combo.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I try and hit the junkyards as often as I can but the ones near me have slim pickings so I decided to expand my search. Now I did find a nice big flea market this past weekend that I am gonna try and go to this weekend maybe I will have luck there.

·
Registered
90 Deville
70 Posts
Don't forget that some stuff can come from other full-size GM's. All the antennas were bad on the Caddys last time I went, but I found a perfect one in a Buick Roadmaster.

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
I dont think there is too much other than the antenna that interchange with Cadillacs. You really have to check the antennas though because they are sometimes shut down in the upright position. Its hit and miss with them like that.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
ebay is a good spot someone is always parting out a car and selling parts for penny on the dollar

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
What I need are both front and back leather seats, the electrical antenna, it has a good drivers arm rest but could use a better one, one center hubcap cover marron in color.
What is wrong with your antenna? I may have a motor and body without the mast extensions. Will have to check - I may have dumped it with the car when I sold it.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Contact some GM distributorships. Visit with mgr by phone or in person. If he has any of the hard parts (struts, ball joints, etc), I usually give him this pitch with a laugh at the end: Sir, how much will you take for these parts before they develop SOME MORE rust on your shelves. Need to laugh at this point in time.

If he has a sense of humor, and if he likes you, you will get a bargain. I bought a Target engine from an 88 GM a few years ago, Even though GM had a 36 month warranty on new cars, the Target engine came with a 48 month/50k warranty. $1000. He even shipped the engine via GM's carrier) 1000 miles for me for $25. Most shippers wanted $400.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chubbyranger-
The antenna will just not roll down but the power stays on so I think the inside tape is broken.

z06bigbird-
I just did all the struts and shock plus the ball joints, tie rod ends, brake calipers,pads and rotors so I am good on that stuff.

Now I do have an issue with both my front wondows not rolling down. It turned out to be my regulator guide that broke and although I have found the piece at NAPA for $7.99 it is a royal pain to take off. I have been working on the driver side right now and for the life in me I now can not put it sucker back on so today I am knocking out the rivets and pulling the whole window motor with regulator tape and guide out maybe I can fix it that way. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on this??? I could really use some help!

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
chubbyranger-
The antenna will just not roll down but the power stays on so I think the inside tape is broken.

I haven't looked yet but the parts I have won't help even if I still have them. Thats what happens to most - the plastic cable breaks. You can sometimes melt the two broken ends back together and reinforce with some tape but its not a long-term solution. Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 Deville, 1990 Deville
62 Posts
If you want to spend a few dollars more, just go to someone like Auto Zone or Advance Auto and buy a new generic antenna. Not hard to put in or wire and then it's new. Don't know if it's still available, but the replacement tape was available at GM to repair the factory antenna. I just think it's worth the $29-$39 for a new one. Installed one in my Caddy 8 years ago.

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
If you want to spend a few dollars more, just go to someone like Auto Zone or Advance Auto and buy a new generic antenna. Not hard to put in or wire and then it's new. Don't know if it's still available, but the replacement tape was available at GM to repair the factory antenna. I just think it's worth the $29-$39 for a new one. Installed one in my Caddy 8 years ago.
A cheap replacement is just tacky. Fixing it is the way to go.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree fixing it or buying an original part is the way to go. I hit a junk yard this weekend and after 2 hours of searching and getting rained on I found one that looked like it was in good shape but when I pulled it and tried it out it did the same as mine just turn on and nothing the motor just kept turning. Oh well hopefully I will find one soon I did extend the antenna out so I do get radio signal but it won't go down unless I push it. I wish there was a company that rebuilt original parts for caddys. I have an orignal 53 Buick Roadmaster I am going to start restoring and it is easier to find rebuilt orignial parts for that then this caddy.

·
Registered
1984 CDV, 42K original miles!
6 Posts
I repaired the power antenna in my 1984 CDV when the plastic extender cord inside it broke - I used a .100 bass guitar string cut to the correct length and soldered a 1/2 inch length of brass tubing on the antenna end to insert the string and crimped it down permanently. I drilled out and re-used the metal tube piece that holds the string to the inside motor coiling thingy. Greased the string inside the antenna body and put it all back together. Works like new!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts