Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...newb here...I'm just wondering if any parts of the CTS-V or any other caddy are made in China, like the air bags or regulators? On another board a guy was saying a CTV-S will beat an 04' Z06 on a road course..this true?:eek:

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
sox said:
Hi...newb here...I'm just wondering if any parts of the CTS-V or any other caddy are made in China, like the air bags or regulators? On another board a guy was saying a CTV-S will beat an 04' Z06 on a road course..this true?:eek:
This other "guy" is a crack smoking ignorant monkey bone. The CTS-V is fast but it aint that fast.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
keeksv said:
Not sure about this, but I would really bet thet the sail panels were made there...
Isn't the plastic on those thing CRAPPY?:thehand:

Another "INTERN" design brought to you by Cadillac.
I just mixed up some J&B weld and cutup some styrene and reinforced the whole thing.
One of the first rules is to never subject plastic to the types of stress the sail panel is under (heat cycling while under pressure as the mounting screw pulls the plastic against the surface).
Where do they hire these guys?
It is just a matter of time (very short) before FAILURE!

It wouldn't be so bad if one didn't have to thread the seatbelt through the thing.
What a pain....
:banghead:

·
Registered
261 Posts
First hand experience here. My 04 CTS-V vs an 04 Z06

50-90 - I got the jump but lost by half a car length
65-110 - Totally even start, I lost by one and a half car lengths

Considering the weight differential, I'd say I did OK.
I think we'd do better against a regular vette.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
DrivingAmericanNow said:

That could happen. But got to admit on a road course we'd be toast.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Z06 has 405 hp we have 400 hp. We have more parasitic loss due to the drivetrain differences. Figure 315-325 rwhp for the V vs. 340-350 rwhp for the Z.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Worse.

Z06 = 3118
CTS-V = 3850
732 lbs. heavier

Z06 / 350 rwhp = 8.91 lbs./hp
CTS-V / 325 rwhp = 11.85 lbs./hp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks P33....So you wouldnt know if anything on the car was manufactued in China? I think even if one of you did know if it did wouldnt admit it...:) which I could understand.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
CVP33 said:
That could happen. But got to admit on a road course we'd be toast.
Gotta argue on this one.. at least on the straights. I held my own on the straights but would lose time in the turns because I didn't want orange calipers (like somebody we know) and well... because of the golf clubs in the trunk.
Best parts is the :jawdrop: on their face when they hear maggie sing or when they pull out like they are going to pass grandpa on the freeway. :lildevil:

Your going to call BS when I tell you that Mr. M5 didn't have enough to pass on the front stretch at Willow springs at 135mph. Best part is I got video to prove, maggie scream and all...:yup:

I guarantee I get more DAMN that caddie is hauling ass comments than oh there goes another corvette...

·
Registered
CTS-V
252 Posts
DrivingAmericanNow said:

c5 vette, absolutely. I beat a stock 6-speed one of those a while back. c6 = highly doubtful, although i hung with a 435 rwhp cobra mustang not too long ago until about 75 so shit, anything's possible.

Ben

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
CVP33 said:
Worse.

Z06 = 3118
CTS-V = 3850
732 lbs. heavier

Z06 / 350 rwhp = 8.91 lbs./hp
CTS-V / 325 rwhp = 11.85 lbs./hp
Lawfive's 482 rwhp = 7.98 lbs/ cabayos, gitty up go.. + orange calipers:tisk:.. whoaaa:thehand:
Now if we can only get wildwhl's numbers...:canttalk:

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
While this is not intended to be construed as "China manufacturing bashing"; it was once put to me this way by a very respectable MotorSport Builder.

"Give me the name of just ONE COMPANY in China that manufacturers a quality steel/alloy automotive product"?

Regretfully, I could not name a single company and have talked with iron and alloy foundry's all over the world when searching for foundry's to forge our rotor blanks to our specifications.

Perhaps the finest engineered steel and alloy comes from Japan. At the end of WWII and during the United States occupation of that country and as part of the demilitarization agreement; the United States rebuilt the entire Japanese Steel Industry that was destroyed when we dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

To this day, the finest forged iron alloy materials are produced in Japan for exportation to the United States. During this time of rebuilding in Japan; our own United States steel industry and foundry's were utilizing technologies that pre-dated WWII and continued to do so to this day until bankruptcy and old technology forced layoffs and lack of demand for a steel product that proved far to expensive to produce on our own soil using old manufacturing technology.

Hence what prevailed from this was the economic failure of such global steel giants as Bethlehem Steel, U.S. Steel and many others. We had invested our money abroad in the Japanese steel industry during this rebuild and ignored our own steel industry and suffer the consequences of that business/political decision to this day.

For better or worse, Japan has always taken a view of American technology and engineering and looked at ways upon improving on it's productivity, product design and economies of scale.

China unfortunately has the "reputation" of taking American technology and engineering and "counterfeighting it" in such a manner that "the product" looks and feels the same, but in fact is under-engineered due to a lack of an investment in technology, and our reluctance to share engineering technology with China given there social, political and human rights "report card".

So what you end up with are Chinese counterfeight Rolex watches, fake Gucci handbags, and $179 brake rotors that look and feel like Brembo's; but are in fact poorly constructed gravity cast pot metal iron rotors that are known to crack and warp and ultimately endanger your life and the lives of innocent motorists.

While, I am sure that there are many fine products manufactured in China; and I am just as equally sure that the quality of there steel manufacturing is about the poorest in the industry.

And unfortunate truth, but unshakable economic and political fact.

ps: I'm still chuckling over that statement about our V differential being made in China!! (lol)

·
Registered
208 Posts
pietroraimondi said:
While this is not intended to be construed as "China manufacturing bashing"; it was once put to me this way by a very respectable MotorSport Builder.

"Give me the name of just ONE COMPANY in China that manufacturers a quality steel/alloy automotive product"?

Regretfully, I could not name a single company and have talked with iron and alloy foundry's all over the world when searching for foundry's to forge our rotor blanks to our specifications.

Perhaps the finest engineered steel and alloy comes from Japan. At the end of WWII and during the United States occupation of that country and as part of the demilitarization agreement; the United States rebuilt the entire Japanese Steel Industry that was destroyed when we dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

To this day, the finest forged iron alloy materials are produced in Japan for exportation to the United States. During this time of rebuilding in Japan; our own United States steel industry and foundry's were utilizing technologies that pre-dated WWII and continued to do so to this day until bankruptcy and old technology forced layoffs and lack of demand for a steel product that proved far to expensive to produce on our own soil using old manufacturing technology.

Hence what prevailed from this was the economic failure of such global steel giants as Bethlehem Steel, U.S. Steel and many others. We had invested our money abroad in the Japanese steel industry during this rebuild and ignored our own steel industry and suffer the consequences of that business/political decision to this day.

For better or worse, Japan has always taken a view of American technology and engineering and looked at ways upon improving on it's productivity, product design and economies of scale.

China unfortunately has the "reputation" of taking American technology and engineering and "counterfeighting it" in such a manner that "the product" looks and feels the same, but in fact is under-engineered due to a lack of an investment in technology, and our reluctance to share engineering technology with China given there social, political and human rights "report card".

So what you end up with are Chinese counterfeight Rolex watches, fake Gucci handbags, and $179 brake rotors that look and feel like Brembo's; but are in fact poorly constructed gravity cast pot metal iron rotors that are known to crack and warp and ultimately endanger your life and the lives of innocent motorists.

While, I am sure that there are many fine products manufactured in China; and I am just as equally sure that the quality of there steel manufacturing is about the poorest in the industry.

And unfortunate truth, but unshakable economic and political fact.

ps: I'm still chuckling over that statement about our V differential being made in China!! (lol)
Thank you for pointing these facts out!! I wish more people would take a look at where things are made before making purchases. Quality is a huge issue, and for me the infringement of American itellectual property rights really burns me. Korea is the same way.

·
Registered
523 Posts
:banghead: The nav is made in china, I need to find out what company it is and tell them to fix the coating mix for the nav, the thing practically peels every 3 or 4 months.

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
heavymetals said:
Isn't the plastic on those thing CRAPPY?:thehand:

Another "INTERN" design brought to you by Cadillac.
I just mixed up some J&B weld and cutup some styrene and reinforced the whole thing.
One of the first rules is to never subject plastic to the types of stress the sail panel is under (heat cycling while under pressure as the mounting screw pulls the plastic against the surface).
Where do they hire these guys?
It is just a matter of time (very short) before FAILURE!

It wouldn't be so bad if one didn't have to thread the seatbelt through the thing.
What a pain....
:banghead:
Cadillac should have used technology from the packaging that holds kids' toys (speaking of China)--then the sail panels would be rated for jet-plane speed....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts