Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I had my car in for the sunroof recall, an out of alignment body panel, CUE issues, and to try to get them to update the plugs/ecm.

Despite Cadillac being a "luxury" automaker, I had anything but a luxury experience. First and foremost, there was clearly no preference given to Cadillacs over Chevy's, GMC's or used Pontiacs. They basically got me in when they had an opening, I had to wait in a line that they were trying to rush people through, etc. They had to push my appointment back because they didn't have a loaner for me and when they finally got me in, my loaner choices were a Silverado LT, a Cruze, or a Traverse. Not a Cadillac.

When I got the car back, the front had been vacuumed and the car had been washed. However, the back did not get vacuumed. Also, the interior was covered in greasy fingerprints. You could tell they spent less than 5 minutes cleaning the car and it just feels like sweaty, greasy people have been climbing in and out of it all day. It's hard to explain but when I got back in the car it just felt a little grimy or something.

Also, I keep a microfiber towel in the glove box (to wipe fingerprints) and it had been taken. Not only does the fact that they took my towel annoy me, but why were they even in my glovebox in the first place?

I made a tough choice buying the ATS over a 3 Series. I regret it from time to time and this experience adds to those regrets. I'm sure it would have been a much better experience at the BMW/Mercedes/Audi dealership next door.

The point I'm trying to make is that people (or at least this person) buys luxury cars to have a luxury driving and hopefully ownership experience. I spent extra money on my car in order to buy a "luxury" car, not a loaded Chevy (that's what Buick is for). People buy luxury cars to have a "better" car than a cheaper car, better doesn't only apply to engineering, it applies to everything. If Cadillac wants to be taken seriously as a real luxury automaker, they need to provide a complete luxury experience.

Like everything in life, people spend premium money to get something "better" than if they hadn't spent premium money. When you buy a first class plane ticket, you do so, not just to get more legroom and a nicer chair, but to get better service, better food, complimentary drinks, to get on and off the plane first, and to not have to wait in line. If it was just about the legroom, people wouldn't buy first class, they would buy "economy plus."

Cadillac has made a car that drives better than the 3-Series, has an interior that is at least on-par with the 3-Series, and looks at least as good as the 3-Series. Cadillac's problem is image. I think that if Cadillac continues to make good cars, the sales will increase but if it wants to not have to undercut the Germans on price, they need to beat or at least match the Germans on all fronts.

So here are some tips for GM if they ever want Cadillac to be considered a true luxury brand in the hearts and minds of luxury consumers:

1) Separate Cadillac dealerships from Chevrolet dealerships. If this is not physically possible, segregate the Caddilac area as much as possible. When I walk in to a Cadillac dealer, I should not be mobbed by pack of 21 year old Chevy salespeople in baggy pants smoking cigarettes.
2) Provide better and more polite service than you do for Chevrolets. When I call for service I should not be treated like cattle going to auction and I should not receive an economy car as a loaner. When my car comes back, it should be cleaner or at least as clean as when I gave it to you. Attention to detail is KEY!

Right now, my Cadillac ownership experience is feeling more like "economy plus" than "first class." If Cadillac ever wants to compete with the Germans, they need to step up to first class.

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts
One of the biggest complaints about Cadillac is the dealership experience like what you have encountered. There are some fantastic Cadillac dealerships out there that do it right, but there are an awful lot of them that don't bother. Many with even the most basic things you would expect whether you bought a $16000 Kia or a $50,000 ATS. Even at my dealership I've had TERRIBLE TERRIBLE experiences.

For instance coming in to talk to a service advisor and he told me, "I have a customer in my office I'll be with you in 5 minutes" and then he decided to leave and take lunch for an hour.

I've had a service advisor outright lie to me about work that was done on my car.

I've had a service advisor that didn't listen to what I was telling her and gave a mechanic completely wrong information despite me telling the service advisor right there in person what the issue was. (When my car was in for an oil change I had asked the service advisor if I could just talk to a tech to ask if a "problem" I was having was normal operation or if there was an issue. Instead it was written up as an issue and wasted time having the mechanic try to see what was going on.

Luckily I was able to start working with the service manager and one service advisor imparticular and things have been fantastic. If I've needed a loaner they always have one. One time she asked me to hang on a few minutes and she'd find a Cadillac for me because she didn't want me to drive a Buick. (I told her that was fine and not to worry about it) My car gets washed and vacuumed each visit (including oil change and tire rotates) and sits inside the main service entry when it's ready to be picked up.

·
Registered
NONE
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention another frustrating part of the loaner: When I asked them about a loaner in the first place, the guy acted like I was inconveniencing him in some way and had a total "I'll see what I can do" attitude. Almost like he was doing me a favor by getting a loaner. The reality was that getting a loaner is not optional, that is part of what I bought when I bought a Cadillac.

·
Registered
XTS4 Luxury
96 Posts
My dealer has never offered me a loaner, but to be fair I have never asked for one.

My car has never been washed or vacuumed during a service appointment.

I did have some grease smudges on the interior of my car after the last service. Not bad, but noticable.

Another thing that concerns me: I just took the car in for its second regular service/oil change. Both times the oil filter looks like new, and there is no sign of wetness or oil dripped anywhere. Even the gasket that is visible from above is dry. The same part of the label is at the top too. The invoice has the filter listed, so I am sure they are changing it, though I wish i would have put a mark or a scratch on it. They also overfill the oil by a quart or so.

·
Registered
Raven Black ATS 2.0T/ auto
139 Posts
I'm having service issues at my SD as well. OP and others hit it right on the mark, so I won't get into details about my visits except to say it's all about the service OR LACK OF(service) that will kill Cadillac market share!....................ARE YOU LISTENING, CADILLAC?????

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe MT
1,558 Posts
i feel like cadillac is doing what it can with these surveys and stuff after every dealer visit. but i always feel bad to b thruthful on them because i know its gonna hurt someones job or perfrmance review at the dealer. AND im worried about a grudge theyll have against me so the next time i go there they wont treat my car as well as they should....

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
2) Provide better and more polite service than you do for Chevrolets.
I empathize with you and what you have experienced and agree with almost everything you've said.
While we do pay a premium price for a premium car and should expect commensurate service, I don't think people who buy less expensive cars should receive lesser service or
less politeness from GM's employees.

----------

AND im worried about a grudge theyll have against me so the next time i go there they wont treat my car as well as they should....
If you are too afraid to speak up for yourself, you get what you get.

·
Registered
NONE
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While we do pay a premium price for a premium car and should expect commensurate service, I don't think people who buy less expensive cars should receive lesser service or less politeness from GM's employees.

I have received similar feedback on a different site I posted this on. I know my statement sounds callous, and it is, but that is the point of luxury cars. I agree that Chevy buyers should receive excellent and polite service. For example, if I had brought my wife's Acadia in, I would expect it to leave clean (both inside and out) but the expectations are double for a luxury car. Especially because Cadillac's competitors are already offering a much higher level of service and purchasing experience.

At the end of the day, just because a luxury car should come with a better experience doesn't mean an economy car should come with a bad experience. An economy car should be a "good" experience but a luxury car should be a better experience.

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
Agree, everyone should get great service, I just expect mine to be of a more one on one nature at a Cadillac dealer.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T Luxury
40 Posts
Interesting thread. I choose Cadillac over BMW because of service. Believe it.
I came from BMW to Cadillac because the level of service in Cadillac dealership was much, much better than in BMW. Especially when I was returning customer I got very disappointing service.
Shame on you BMW.

There was issues with Caddy but after one phone call problem solved.

We see in future what happen next. If it goes down or up...

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,715 Posts
It's not a corporate thing. Dealership employees are not technically "GM's employees."

We have a Chevrolet store. Two of them, in fact.

EVERY customer's car gets washed, vaccumed, and fresh paper mats installed. Oil change? Sure. Free wash? Sure.

Loaners are given to customers whose cars are there for longer than 6 hours. If not, you will get a courtesy shuttle that will take you anywhere in the county. No exceptions.

And no, our salespeople aren't just smoking cigarettes and wearing baggy pants.

Sounds like your particular dealership is lacking. Not the brand itself.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
While the dealerships need to make themselves as fancy or fancier then the European and Japanese dealerships the actual service of the Cadillacs over my 11 years of ownership experience has been outstanding.

I think Cadillac should open a flagship
Company owned store that is " off the charts" nice and serves as a model for all other dealerships.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Work arounds:

GM has much lower standards for their dealers than many other brands. Of course GM doesn't want or require dealers to give poor service so there are great ones out there. I mean I don't think all Acura, BMW, etc dealers go around mad that Acura and BMW make them give better service than they want to. So while things are like they are, it pays to shop the dealers as well as the car. If the dealers you have to chose from for service aren't good enough where you live, do not buy that brand of car. The difference with BMW and Cadillac is you are much less likely to get a bad dealer if you don't check before buying.

And if you find the dealer where you bought your car has bad service, check the other dealers within driving range. You don't need to get service where you bought the car. Service is always a separate department and could care less where you bought the car. In a rare case where some call is made at a higher level than sales or service it might make a difference but that is a tiny minority of your visits if ever.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
They may not show it but most service departments want you to bring your Cadillac to them regardless where you purchased it. I was going between 2 service departments because one was closer than where I purchased. My regular SA who I was introduced to when I purchased the car knew I was doing this and actually said " I know the other dealer is closer but we want your business, we need you more than you need us". And that dealership was not hurting for business...

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,433 Posts
As I read through this thread I see a couple of things.

#1 The customer FAILS to SET the level of expectation he/she wants from the dealership via the SA. This is the first thing I did when I took my car in for the first time. I washed and detailed the car. I made sure that the SA knew that and told them that is exactly the way I expected it when I returned to pick it up. I also told them that i will be checking their work BEFORE I leave the dealership. Example - I told them I had anodized lugs nuts and not to used an impact wrench as they would buy new ones if damaged. They about crapped their draws when I whipped out my torque wrench, checked each wheel for proper torque and pulled one lug nut from each wheel for inspection.

#2 The dealership itself. To me when I went looking for a car the facilities and sales staff was the first thing I looked at. I left a few because the sales staff were old school and were just after a sales at any cost. I usually asked for the sales manager before I left and told him what I thought. I was not rude but I didn't waste any words either.

#3 You have something they want - MONEY So, don't be afraid to walk. If you get bad service talk to the service manager BEFORE you write a bad review.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,715 Posts
As I read through this thread I see a couple of things.

#1 The customer FAILS to SET the level of expectation he/she wants from the dealership via the SA. This is the first thing I did when I took my car in for the first time. I washed and detailed the car. I made sure that the SA knew that and told them that is exactly the way I expected it when I returned to pick it up. I also told them that i will be checking their work BEFORE I leave the dealership. Example - I told them I had anodized lugs nuts and not to used an impact wrench as they would buy new ones if damaged. They about crapped their draws when I whipped out my torque wrench, checked each wheel for proper torque and pulled one lug nut from each wheel for inspection.

#2 The dealership itself. To me when I went looking for a car the facilities and sales staff was the first thing I looked at. I left a few because the sales staff were old school and were just after a sales at any cost. I usually asked for the sales manager before I left and told him what I thought. I was not rude but I didn't waste any words either.

#3 You have something they want - MONEY So, don't be afraid to walk. If you get bad service talk to the service manager BEFORE you write a bad review.
Exactly. All of this.

·
Registered
'15 ATS Coupe Lux
93 Posts
Interesting thread. I choose Cadillac over BMW because of service. Believe it.
I came from BMW to Cadillac because the level of service in Cadillac dealership was much, much better than in BMW. Especially when I was returning customer I got very disappointing service.
me too. main reason I wanted to get away from the BMW brand was because I hated going to their service dept. I haven't had my ATS in for service yet, but now , after reading this thread, I'm terrified. I'm tired of crappy service. Probably should have gone with Lexus as my wife owns one and I was very impressed with her whole service experience. They get it.....keep the customer happy after the sale which keeps them coming back.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I've heard good things about Lexus service/dealers, but no personal experience.

·
Registered
14 ATS 2.0/11 Camaro SS
200 Posts
I have never heard anything good about Lexus because I have yet to run into a Lexus owner that knows a damn thing about cars, so I have to take everything I hear with a grain of salt. I find the average Lexus owner is someone who gets their blinker fluid replaced.

C

·
0 Posts
I am 16 months in with a ES300H company car and it is a night and day difference between what I experience with the Lexus dealer compared to any of the Cadillac dealers I have been to.
To bad I am not a fan of their cars though, They just remind me of a nice point A to B car and a reason why I prefer to drive my ATS most of the time unless I have to go somewhere that damage could happen to my ATS.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts