Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
It is rather odd if I say.

I was doing great but last night where I parked, not even a slope, the E-Brake stuck. I don't get it haha. Maybe the pumping is just feeding my paranoia but this thing is almost hit or miss.

According to my manual the E-Brake should release when the car is put in either REVERSE or PARK. With Reverse coming before PARK it would release if I put it down on Neutral, thats if it wasn't sticking.

Weird...maybe I need to grease the joint of the pedal?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,184 Posts
railven said:
According to my manual the E-Brake should release when the car is put in either REVERSE or PARK.
No, it releases when put in any gear. It should hold in park or neutral.

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
Try spraying the mechanism under the dash with WD40 or some sort of oil. They rust up and get sluggish. Mine was problematical until I hit it with WD40 then later Breakfree CLP. That was the cure.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
Hey thanks!

Not sure what Breakfree CLP is but I got some WD40 somewhere here.

I'll give that a shot. My latest record dropped, 11/15. Haha it is sad that I'm keeping track of this!

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
There is more than one spring on Seville and Eldorado with rear disc brakes.

There is an independent spring on each rear caliper to return the piston to rest once the cable is retracted.

WD-40 is not a good solution to use on the E-Brake system. The key ingredient in WD-40 is Stoddard solvent which deteriorates the cable housings and will create havoc with any plastic parts.

Any good dry lubricant spray is best suited for E-Brake systems.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
Any lubricant you would recommend?

E-Brake released fine yesterday so I'm seriously baffled to its chance of hit or miss.

·
Registered
'99 STS
17 Posts
I have a '99 STS and my E brake will not release untill I have shifted out of park, and then press on the E brake again. So, shift out of park, press on the E brake and it releases smooth as butter.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
boricuacaddy said:
I have the same problem with my car. When I put on the e-brake and put it in gear it will go up but not enough to disengage the brake light on the dash. I then have to use my foot to make the brake light in the dash go away..............David
Had that problem in my 93.
The actuall brake would release, but there was slop in the pedel that kept the dash light on.

Put it up on the hoist and lubed then adjusted the rear cable. Was corroded and seized really bad.
Seemed to be ok for a couple of days then came back again.

Turned out that the rear drivers side brake caliper was sticking slightly as well.

Finding that explained a few other odd sensations as well.

·
Super Moderator
87,184 Posts
whack_lac said:
I have a '99 STS and my E brake will not release untill I have shifted out of park, and then press on the E brake again. So, shift out of park, press on the E brake and it releases smooth as butter.
It should release as soon as it is put in gear. My daughters '99 SLS does the same thing. I messed with it last weekend and it is intermittent. I could see the solenoid actuate every time I put it in gear, even when the pedal itself hung up. Going into park again and then back into gear, released it every time.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
I can go in and out of Park and Gear all night night and it won't release. I found myself stuck on the road the first day I got my car reading the manual looking for that manual release switch.

·
Registered
HAD a miserable Catera and even worse 2003 STS
603 Posts
I had same problem in my 2003 Seville STS. Fixed under warranty a few months ago. They replaced the entire thing. It was the spring.
Did that fix the problem permanently? Now that I was able to release my 'stuck' pedal, it seems to me that it could be the spring as well, since it hasn't been used in ages, and if the pedal is engaged and I shift from Park to N or D or vice versa, I hear a clicking coming from the pedal area that sounds like it's trying to disengage. Since my car is not in warranty I will not bother to fix it, I'm just happy that it's no longer engaged.

·
Registered
1996 Deville
5 Posts
I have a 96 deville d'elegance. I have a similar issue. But it's is my ac vents. When I accelerate, usually only in third and up, my ac vents close and goes to defrost. I know it's a vacuum issue but cannot find it. My ac vents are on an independent vacuum line coming from the intake. Some vacuum hoses near the firewall were deteriorated so replaced them. In not sure what it's called, and can't find any reference to it on the internet, but I found an electronic vacuum block with five colored vacuum hoses coming out going to different ac components and the emergency brake. If anyone can help, please? I'm about to get nose bleeds from trying to figure this out, lol.

·
Super Moderator
87,184 Posts
I have a 96 deville d'elegance. I have a similar issue. But it's is my ac vents. When I accelerate, usually only in third and up, my ac vents close and goes to defrost. I know it's a vacuum issue but cannot find it. My ac vents are on an independent vacuum line coming from the intake. Some vacuum hoses near the firewall were deteriorated so replaced them. In not sure what it's called, and can't find any reference to it on the internet, but I found an electronic vacuum block with five colored vacuum hoses coming out going to different ac components and the emergency brake. If anyone can help, please? I'm about to get nose bleeds from trying to figure this out, lol.
There's your problem. Defrost is the default mode. The vacuum line should be connected to the vacuum reservoir so when you go heavy on the throttle and vacuum drops, you have a reserve of vacuum to operate the HVAC. Yours has been bypassed and running off straight manifold vacuum with varies with throttle position.

·
Registered
1996 Deville
5 Posts
I have replace reservoir and line to reservoir. Hose from manifold to new vacuum control valve, to y connector that splits and goes through the firewall and to the reservoir.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 93 Seville and just today the parking brake light came on and when I got home there was a burning smell the brake lever is released but the brake it's self is still engaged anyone have a clue

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,835 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

Maybe something is seized in the rear wheel/hub/brake mechanisms. Cables seized ? Not uncommon.

·
Super Moderator
87,184 Posts
I have a 93 Seville and just today the parking brake light came on and when I got home there was a burning smell the brake lever is released but the brake it's self is still engaged anyone have a clue
Try reaching under the car at the drivers door. Grab the parking brake cable and yank it like you want to tear it off. If the cable is hung up (rusted) inside the sheathing, that should release it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts