Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
'96 STS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the parking brake is pushed down it does not retract when the car is put into gear. I assume that there is a spring that is not working... is it near the pedal or in the parking brake assembly in the rear disk? When the car is in gear I can pull it back to the right position but it takes a good amount of effort to do so.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Michigan STS said:
When the parking brake is pushed down it does not retract when the car is put into gear. I assume that there is a spring that is not working... is it near the pedal or in the parking brake assembly in the rear disk? When the car is in gear I can pull it back to the right position but it takes a good amount of effort to do so.
My Eldo has the same problem. When I first got it, it would not release the parking brake when it was put into gear. SO, i would use my foot to raise it up. After some time had passed, I forgot about it, stopped using it, and just don't worry about it any longer. :) I'm sure it's a spring, but its just not worth fixing in my book. my 2 cents

·
Registered
'96 STS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine gets so stuck that I can't pull it up with my foot. I have to use my hand and some effort to get it turn off the parking brake light. I could ignore it but I can't.... these things bug me. This car has a lot of things that need to be done to it so since I am fixing some things I want to fix them all.

·
Registered
'78 Superior Cadillac Amublance, '69 Miller Meteor Ambulance
245 Posts
The parking brake release is vacuum operated. This is controlled through the ports on the ignition switch. If the parking brake control is getting the vacuum, then it should release without effort. I have never seen the spring on this mechanism break. There is also a manual release lever on the parking brake control, but you will need to get on your hands and knees to locate where it is on the control, or if you have the original owners manual, it will have the information in there.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I had same problem in my 2003 Seville STS. Fixed under warranty a few months ago. They replaced the entire thing. It was the spring.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,184 Posts
your parking brake release is indeed vacuum controled. It is on the HVAC vacuum circuit. There is a vacuum diaphram on the parking brake mechanism. Make sure the vacuum hose is still connected and that there is vacuum supplied when in gear. If all is well, check to see that the diaphram will hold vacuum.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC & 1994 Pontiac Firehawk
1,158 Posts
Its SIMPLE to release, there is a manual release lever behind it ;)....Happened to me once

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
This is one of those pesky reoccuring problems in my car. I thought I had solved it but alas I hadn't. Now that I know it is more mechnical maybe I'll start looking at it again.

It works for me if I pump the brake one or two times then hold it all the way down. Doing so will cause the E-Brake to come up as it should when I shift out of park. It has worked as so all the time with the exception of parking on a steep hill with the car pointing upwards.

Another thing I've tried was easy torque off the transmission by, letting the car roll on the hill before braking, putting car on Park, then E-Braking.

So far it works on hills if the car is facing downhill, but uphill I still have to hunch over and hit that manual release.

Any idea how to check that vacuum?

·
Super Moderator
87,184 Posts
Railven,
I not sure about the '98. It may be electronically controlled as opposed to vacuum. Not exactly sure when it changed.

Pumping the brake should have no effect, nor should the direction it faces on a hill. Not sure what to tell you there.

"Another thing I've tried was easy torque off the transmission by, letting the car roll on the hill before braking, putting car on Park, then E-Braking. "

You are doing this backwards. You should always set the parking brake before releasing the brake on a hill. Never let the car rest against the trans. You can torque lock it and will have a problem getting it out of gear.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
What you said Ranger is what I do. I apologize for my poor explanation of it. My uncle, a mechanic, always told me to hold the brake firmly before setting the E-Brake. What I meant by the "roll" is that I'd give the car a bit of gas, in whatever gear, and then hit the brake holding it firmly as I step on the E-Brake. [Edit: of course after putting the car on Park with the brake still held down.]

Whatever it is that they use in the 98 in the last week alone 7/8 times pumping the brake released the E-Brake when shifting out of Park. Maybe it is just dumb luck.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
A parking brake not adjusted will cause slack in the cables not allowing full release. The method mentioned above about placing one's foot under the pedal to fully release smacks of misadjusted park brake cables. The issue where trying to lift up with the foot and it not releasing usually relates to a vacuum issue, either the vac. diaphram is leaking or the supply hose is kinked, off or cut. Remember, early cars were set by simply depressing the foot pedal, later cars required a series of pumps to "ratchet" the pedal to set. The ratcheting type usually did not have vacuum issues, but adjustment issues. The setting by depressing the pedal systems were prone to diaphram failures most likely. These types of problems reinforce the importance of having the FACTORY service manual. I've seen in rare cases, crud build up around the mechanism under the dash and a solvent, WD40 etc. was necc. to free it up. I live in California so I've never seen rusted park brake cable housings, but in some areas that could be the culprit. Also during a chassis lube the area where the cable rubs on the underfloor needs grease brushed on it. nobody ever does it! Inspecting the park brake mechanism under the dash will help identify the black release lever usually to the right pointing down. I agree, the parking brake is set, THEN the car is taken from drive to park.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
Maybe it is something else in my car.

"I agree, the parking brake is set, THEN the car is taken from drive to park."

I can't do that in my 98 Seville. If the car isn't in PARK the E-Brake won't stick. It will just go down but then rise up again. I have to put the car in PARK before the E-Brake would stick.

On my Accord I'd pull the hand E-Brake then put the car in PARK which is what I tried to do, but it won't hold.

Think I got a broken E-Brake mechanism?

·
Super Moderator
87,184 Posts
railven said:
I can't do that in my 98 Seville. If the car isn't in PARK the E-Brake won't stick. It will just go down but then rise up again. I have to put the car in PARK before the E-Brake would stick.
Right, when in gear the brake is disengaged, so the pedal will not stay down. That is the way it is supposed to work.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
Well so far so good. The E-Brake tends to stick more for me when I park on a hill.

I pumped the brake last night, rather steep hill, and the E-Brake came off fine. I then started thinking maybe I don't have to pump it just hold it firmly and give it a second or two for the brake to ease pressure of the E-Brake. I'll try that later.

As for the cabling, I know when my girlfriend's father did my rear brakes he said the E-Brake cable looked good. Just thought I'd mention that.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
In the SLS, if I psh the e-brake down all the way, it won't release when I shift out of park. If I push it down even up to 95%, it will always come back up automatically. When it gets doesn't come up when I shift, I have to press the e-brake just a little, and then it comes up.

When I use my e-brake though, I come to stop, foot on the main brake (of course), go into park, engage e-brake, then release the main brake pedal.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
I have the same problem with my car. When I put on the e-brake and put it in gear it will go up but not enough to disengage the brake light on the dash. I then have to use my foot to make the brake light in the dash go away. I barely use the e-brake. Maybe one day I will have it checked to see what is wrong. Seems to be a common occurance on these cars.

David

·
Registered
97 STS (retired), 05 STS4 (retired), 2013 CTS V coupe
218 Posts
When I first got my car, the e-brake would never come up all the way. I've used it constantly since then, and now if I press it down all the way, it pops back up just fine when the car is put in gear. If I only push it anything less then all the way to the floor, it'll pop up with less force and sometimes leave the light on and I'll have to bring it up with my foot.

As for using my e-brake, which I do all the time, no matter where I'm parked, I'll first come to a stop holding my foot on the main brake, shift the car into neutral, push the e-brake to the floor, let go of the main brake, then shift the car to park. Doing it this way will rest the weight of the car completely on the e-brake all the time, and never on the tranny.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Odin8 said:
As for using my e-brake, which I do all the time, no matter where I'm parked, I'll first come to a stop holding my foot on the main brake, shift the car into neutral, push the e-brake to the floor, let go of the main brake, then shift the car to park. Doing it this way will rest the weight of the car completely on the e-brake all the time, and never on the tranny.
this is exactly how I do it in my chrysler, but on my seville i can only apply the E brake if the car is in park, so I hold the brake down, shift to park, then apply the E brake. No roll! :)

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
787 Posts
I know the 97 and 98 are different body designs but did they change the E-Brake mechanism? Even on neutral my E-Brake won't stick, only on PARK. I've yet to experience some roll with my method and the new pumping has alleviated my stuck E-Brake 9/10 now [had to move the car to let a family member out twice!]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts