Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I tried repairing the fiber optics which I learned were located behind the headlights, I located two of them. My first problem was figuring out how to disassemble the fiber optics as the Haynes manual shows a picture of the headlights to be removed by first removing two plastic thumbscrews(Wrong for 1990 Cadillac Deville - Chapter 12-13)The only way to reach the optics on my car was by removing part of the plastic air scoop behind the light. After trying repeatedly to clean cut and adjust at both ends, also removed the fender indicator the lights were no better than when I started I than reassembled them and will just do without them. I than tried figuring out how to make the foot brake pedal release like its supposed to when the car is put in drive or reverse. I found the manual release but could not get the pedal to release when put in gear. Anyone know how this works or how I can repair it ? Again the Haynes manual doesn't really get into how to make a repair of this. :banghead:

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
The Park Brake Is Released With A Vacuum Diaphram Just Above The Manual Release Lever. There Should Be A 1/8 Inch Hose Connected To The Diaphram. When Put In Gear, Vacuum Is Supplied To The Diaphram Pulling The Link Into The Diaphram, Releasing The Pedal. Usually The Diaphram Leaks. Wont Allow Release. This Is Hard To Ck Unless You Use A Hand Held Vacuum Pump Like A Mighty Vac Tool. In Gear The Link Should Be Retracted Into The Diaphram. With An Assistant Holding The Car In Grearwith The Brakes, You Can Pull The Supply Hose Off And Verify Vacuum. Also You Should See The Link Drop Down Out Of The Diaphram. If No Vacuum, Trace It Back To The Steering Column And Ck The Supply Switch At The Column Base. That Switch Is Adjustable If Necc. Hope This Helps, Bill.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Also, With The Vacuum Hose Off The Diaphram, Put Your Finger Over The Vacuum Nipple After Retracting The Link Manually. If The Diaphram Is Good, The Link Should Stay Retracted. If You Remove Your Finger, The Link Should Drop. If It Drops While You Are Plugging The Nipple , The Unit Is Leaking And Needs Replaced. Somewhat Of A Bastard To Replace, The Screws Holding It On Are Hard To Get To.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
carnut said:
Also, With The Vacuum Hose Off The Diaphram, Put Your Finger Over The Vacuum Nipple After Retracting The Link Manually. If The Diaphram Is Good, The Link Should Stay Retracted. If You Remove Your Finger, The Link Should Drop. If It Drops While You Are Plugging The Nipple , The Unit Is Leaking And Needs Replaced. Somewhat Of A Bastard To Replace, The Screws Holding It On Are Hard To Get To.
To Carnut: Thanks again for the information ,I will get under there to check the diaphragm and line going to it to determine what may be the problem and if I can repair it. At least with the info you have provided I have a clear idea of what I am doing. Thanks to people like yourself who make this site a success.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
CARNUT your the man thanks i just read this now and mine broke last night. I'll try it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
carnut said:
The Park Brake Is Released With A Vacuum Diaphram Just Above The Manual Release Lever. There Should Be A 1/8 Inch Hose Connected To The Diaphram. When Put In Gear, Vacuum Is Supplied To The Diaphram Pulling The Link Into The Diaphram, Releasing The Pedal. Usually The Diaphram Leaks. Wont Allow Release. This Is Hard To Ck Unless You Use A Hand Held Vacuum Pump Like A Mighty Vac Tool. In Gear The Link Should Be Retracted Into The Diaphram. With An Assistant Holding The Car In Grearwith The Brakes, You Can Pull The Supply Hose Off And Verify Vacuum. Also You Should See The Link Drop Down Out Of The Diaphram. If No Vacuum, Trace It Back To The Steering Column And Ck The Supply Switch At The Column Base. That Switch Is Adjustable If Necc. Hope This Helps, Bill.
To Carnut: Checked the diaphram unit which I believe is ok, I do not seem to be getting any vacuum from the line connected to the diaphram.I traced this back to the steering column as you said and there the hose is connected to the steering column via a clear plastic connector which is double ended containing another vacuum line which appears to go out thru the firewall. This line HAS vacuum. Could you please explain how this is adjustable and how I can get the vacuum to the line going to the diaphram if this is possible. Thank You Tompro

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I'm Testing My Memory Here! The Switch At The Column Base Is Bolted Down To The Column. Loosen The Bolts And Slide The Switch One Way And Another To Center It. The Switch Is Opened To Vacuum When The Shifter Is Moved Away From Park. Good Luck, Bill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
carnut said:
I'm Testing My Memory Here! The Switch At The Column Base Is Bolted Down To The Column. Loosen The Bolts And Slide The Switch One Way And Another To Center It. The Switch Is Opened To Vacuum When The Shifter Is Moved Away From Park. Good Luck, Bill.
To Carnut: OK I will check out this procedure and see if I get vacuum to the line going to the vacuum unit. I will let you know how I make out,but probably won't get to it till the weekend. Thanks Again (Tompro)

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
There's a lot of good information here. Maybe someone could move this topic into the general forum where more people have a chance of seeing it. Doesn't look to be electrical anyway :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
brougham