Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not stoked about this....My parking brake cable snapped while picking up my son from school. I think it disengaged just enough to not keep the car from rolling, but my car was beeping like hell at me the whole way home:bonkers:. I ordered a new cable for $20, but until it gets here I've got to figure out how to get the parking brake all the way disengaged. I am going to take the under panel and knee bolster off tonight to see what i'm dealing with.

Anyone dealt with this before and know how to release the brake without the handle? I assume there is a spring that the cable is attached to that I can pull on with some pliers. I'm thinking about doing a write up for this with some pics. I can't find anyone else that's posted a solution yet.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently no one has snapped a parking brake. I figured this out. At the very back of the parking brake housing there is a metal plate on a semi pivot. This gets pulled toward the release pin by the parking brake cable. If you reach behin this plate you should be able to push it forward with a ball point pen to manually disengage the brake pedal. I'll take some pics later.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it disengaged. I removed the insulator panel and knee bolster to get a better picture of what I was dealing with. It is too strange of an angle for pliers. You can either push the release pin with a gloved hand (it's sharp) or use something long and narrow like a pen to push the plate forward from behind. This is not as bad as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
any pics of the release pin? i just did this as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts