Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a diagnosis of a bad park/neutral switch. The car does not start without playing with the shifter or trying the key 5 to 10 times. If placed in neutral and I play with the shifter, I can always get it to start. The Chevy dealer wants $120 for the switch and 5 hours labor for the fix. I have the DVD manual and can not find how to replace this part listed anywhere on the DVD. Does anyone know how it is replaced, and how difficult it would be? I will have the dealer replace the pnp switch if it would be too much for me to do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, i´m no technician, but i think it´s better take one than do it yourself.
I think it´s the Shift shaft position switch and is located on the tranny.

Search shift shaft on your DVD manual, i´ve done so. Good luck.

The attached .pdf is a howto.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 CTS-V Sedan, 07 Corvette Convertible
237 Posts
This is not a "do it yourself job", but no way this takes 5 hours, this should be no more than a 3 hours. Find a local shop or transmission place to do this. Dealerships charge you the "estimated" hours (based on worst case inflated times) or the actual hours, which ever is MORE. This is why none of my vehicles go to stealership anymore for repairs unless it's for warranty work. Many years ago (and not my SRX) I had a heater core that went bad on every 6 months or so due to a leak in the coolant system that was never fixed after 3 different repairs and almost $1,500. (The air in the system caused cavatation in the heater core and ate holes in it.) The dash had to come out to replace the heater core and the stealership charge 3 hours of labor to do it the first time it failed. I did it myself after that and I could do it in about an hour.

I did check this out in my SRX shop manual, and the transmission shifter position sensor is called the "Manual Shift Shaft Position Switch". I have no idea where they come up with these names. Whay can't a tomato be called a tomato?

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes. Hey thanks guys for the information. I was able to look it up on my DVD using "manual shift shaft position switch". I would never had thought to look it up under that name. Pretty involved process. It looks like the tranny pan has to be dropped in the process, as well as the exhaust system being removed, and the drive shaft de-coupled. Man, could that switch be any more difficult to replace.

I will ask the Chevy dealer if the tranny fluid and filter replacement can be part of the deal. Hard for me to find a known, reputable transmission place, because I have not had any dealings with any transmission shop. I have never had to do any transmission service on one of my cars.

·
Registered
SRX
104 Posts
If it were me, I would take it on and learn something new. Probably a few new words by the looks of that procedure. That's a pretty heinous replacement procedure for a neutral safety switch. I'd be tempted to just override that sucker.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am pretty adventurous when it comes to this type of repair. I have many times started a repair, and half way through said "what the hell was I thinking". I have always been able to complete the project. This one looks pretty involved, although I still have thoughts of doing it myself. Taking the exhaust out isn't a problem, and I am sure, although it looks like a pain in the A, moving the drive shaft shouldn't be too hard. It's the combination of all the parts that make me second guess doing it.

The real question is, is it worth the $500 savings?

·
Registered
2008 SRX 3.6
86 Posts
st_pinetree -- "I'd be tempted to just override that sucker."

Good luck with that! Too many times I have tried to overide some (and, yes, some were) rinkydink "safety" switch just to find out that 'it can't be done'.

A lot of work - a great learning experience!? Hope I don't have to make that decision.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
override, hm, i don´t think this will work. The switch communicate only at one lead with the ECU, for P/N control, starting enadle/ disable.
BUT 4 leads goes to the TCM Modul, to check where the shift lever is in position, R D and so on.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, I think overriding it would cause more problems than I have now. I am procrastinating on this since I don't use the SRX that much, and, I can start it with a little work. My wife wants it fixed, because she won't drive it as is. She is afraid it won't start at all one of these days. I don't blame her.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have decided to have the Chevy dealership replace the switch. I have an appointment for next Thursday.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An update, $870 later, the car is fixed. It seems that someone had welded the exhaust pipes on. They had to be cut off, removed, and then re-welded to replace the switch. Exhaust removed, drive shaft disconnected, tranny fluid drained, and filter replaced. The up side of this is that #1, the car starts as it should, #2 the transmission now shifts perfectly. Before, it was hard shifting and had a violent downshift from 2-1. I guess it really needed new transmission fluid.

I'll take this week to see if everything else works as it should.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts