Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Black Raven CTS-V
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 09 V about 5 days ago and have noticed a few things that bother me.

I am probably being paranoid tin thinking something is wrong with my car , but wanted to post here and maybe get some peace of mind that these things are normal.

My car has 12,000 miles and is completely stock.
Yesterday , I drove around for about 30 minutes , never getting on the gas hard and more or less lugged it around town the entire time.
It was approx. 68 degrees outside while driving.
When I got home I put the car in the garage. About 30 minutes after I got home , i went back out to the garage to look at my car :)
Once I stepped back out into the garage , I could smell a 'burning' smell ( slight not over-whelming). It smelled like burnt rubber almost. To me it smelled similar to what it would smell like if you were to drive with a parking brake on ( it wasnt lol ) or if a belt was rubbing and burning or rubbing on something?

I checked as best as I could and could not see any belt wear. There is no oil or fluid leaks anywhere. I cannot hear any belt squeek or any unusual belt noise when at idle or driving.

Also , when I popped my hood , the engine cover and engine bay was hot as hell. This was after only 30 minutes of driving and the car was sitting for 30 minutes too. The plastic engine cover was almost too hot to keep my hand on.

I am hoping this is normal. I was lugging it around town and was in stop and go traffic so maybe it would be that hot with no air flow to cool it down , lugging it around like I did?

Just seems odd that it would be that hot after a short time and sitting for awhile.

G

·
The best practice is to remove those plastic shroud pieces... I had mine off the first day I had the car. That one cover held in so much heat!!

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, White, Auto, all options (Traded for a Tahoe)
419 Posts
The smell of burnt plastic/rubber is what I'd be concerned with most. That should not be there.

I would look under the car to see if perhaps a plastic bag may have ended up melting to the exhaust somewhere, or if there is an oil leak dripping onto the exhaust...

Just some thoughts FWIW

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
539 Posts
Normal, mine smelled same way for a long time. If it is extreme, perhaps check for the aforementioned plastic bag on muffler...

·
Registered
09 CTS-V matte black
35 Posts
Same here got my 09 a month ago, had the exact same issue same smell, buring rubber. Seems to have faded since.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Heat gun........ they're even handy for cooking food.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
for about an hour after you park your car after running it for a while the engine will actually heat up because the cooling system is no longer working to keep down the temps

removing those covers might help but if I was you I would really want to get this:

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
Didn't someone a while ago find a package of uninstalled door latch striker covers taped below the engine cover, which were melting on the exhaust manifold? Take off the cover and look around, that smell is not normal.

Jud

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V manual
448 Posts
i had this smell on my 135i...dealership lifted it up and something was stuck to my exhaust pipe causing the melting/burning smell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts