Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
deville concour
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, i had a problem with my concours 1996 i had jumpstart it , and now i have replaced alternator the battery and it still discharging can you help me?
papaearle:hmm:

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
You have a parasitic load. to find it, first you will either need an amp meter hookup on your battery or a test light ( or rig up a 12 volt bulb). disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and put the test device in series (one end on the cable, the other end on the bat terminal) The light bulb will quite likely light up without starting the car. If it does, start pulling our fuses one by one until the light goes out. That will be the bad circuit. Now you just have to figure out what is in that circuit drawing the power. Likely candidates are something in the lighting system or the load leveling circuit.

·
Registered
deville concour
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks amencaddy sorry for getting back to you so late.i'm still working on it, i took it to a elec shop they coudn't help me tthey had it half a day they didn't charge me ,i'll let you know what i find if i do
papaearle:crying2:

·
Registered
759 Posts
That shop representing to do electrical repairs couldn't help you is pathetic, but at least they didn't charge you.
question: How quickly does your battery drain? That can help to diagnose where to look for the cause. Also, if you check your OBD for codes there could be a clue there.
Check all your lighting for proper operation, including the interior lighting. It could be a shorted bulb.

·
Registered
deville concour
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI, Amencaddy finaly getting back to you,my problem is repaired. I went back to that shop and add the alternator check ,we put it on the tester and it showed good.I finally talked him in to giving me another one to try, SO i hooked up the new alternator and it charged good,so he took mine and sent it to another shop they sent it back with a new regulator install. he was very good
with me he let me keep the new alternator, it was new from dealer not rebuilt for my troubles. I don`t really blame him after seeing the tester showing good, so thats where we are at now hes sending his tester in to be checked, so i`ll follow up with the answer on that thanks amencaddy papaearle

·
Registered
759 Posts
unbeeweevable! Makes you wonder how many other customers suffered from faulty test results and what if you hadn't gone back and haggled him? Geez. At least you got a new alternator out of it.:cool2:

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
I went through 3 remanufactured alt's I had purched from Napa, each one lasting about a month before they gave me a new one for my 90 Seville. That one also is making a high squeel. Im so glad it was easy to R&R.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts