Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2006 STS V8, 1999 Seville STS
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few examples of people painting the factory grill the body color. What about painting it chrome? Look horrible? I want to paint mine tomorrow, until I get the 2008+ front bumper and E&G grille.

·
Registered
2005 STS
284 Posts
Paint it the body colour, I too have a red STS and was wondering what it would look like. I also wonder what Diamond White would look like. I'm going to play around with photoshop, if I can remember how to do it. I don't think you could paint it "chrome" and have it look good, although I think real chrome would look good. I just did the window pillars on mine and I like it.

Doug

·
The Last Good Gremlin
06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)
2,654 Posts
Good luck finding chrome paint, I caught hell trying to do it and ended up sending my grille surround to a pro that plates plastic. See my posts on my V-grille. Or read the thread on chroming plastic.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you very much for the info. I guess chrome paint is out of the question. What type of prep for the body color paint on the grill?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS 4.6L V8
18 Posts
i painted mine with a simple spray paint and it looks great. white diamond. the hardest part was taking off the grill, but after that, just taped everything off and gave it about 3 coats of paint. looks beautiful

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any step by steps for removing and replacing the factory grill? how about the emblem?

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
13 Posts
There's a recent thread on this that sounds like it would help. It's not a detailed procedure. That would make a nice contribution.

·
Registered
STS
54 Posts
K STS, try these posts pg's 2 or 3 should tell you what you want to know.

How the H311??!
and
Painted grille

I have used the "Chrome" paint and it comes out looking like a bright silver not Chrome.

Cheers!

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
grill painted!

now for the chrome grill tips kit, and it will be done... for now!

·
Registered
Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS
536 Posts
That looks really good, K! I love that color, too. Now I see where you're going with the grill tip kit.

·
The Last Good Gremlin
06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)
2,654 Posts
looking goooood!

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF V8 - pearl white with tan interior
101 Posts
Should paint the front license plate holder as well - first things I did when I purchased my STS. Personally I think it looks much nicer than the mesh grilles, but to each their own.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts