Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'85 Eldorado,black.I'd like to paint the trunk lid top portion only.The body shops want around $450.00 to do this which is way too much since i will try to sell her when the lid is painted.NOT the underside just the top part where there is some rust on it.
I don't have the cash to have a shop do it and now being out of work i'll do it myself.What is a good method for one doing it at home in a garage?
I figure i can get some black paint from the local shops and get a decent gun to spray it with.I know all about sanding etc.Have any of you done a small paint job at home to offer advice.
I'd like to keep the car since she's been problem free for it's age but she will have to go. :disappoin

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You could always take it to the local High School body shop. You pay for the supplies only and the kids can learn. When I was in school we were never release the product until it was done right.

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
I know many people that have painted cars and sections of cars in their garage with great success, but I would have to say to get the paint, sandpaper, buffer, glazes and compounds, strippers, paint gun and your time, you are probably better off to pay the $450.00 and get the work done, because if you have never done this before the mess and overspray can lead to even more work. JMO :)

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
You can do this wthout too many tools but the labor of doing it by hand is really high.
Do you have an air compressor?
How much are you willing to invest in tools?
Where do you live? Temperature is what I want to know.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I looked and saw you're in Illinois. North or South?

If your north do you have a heated garage? South might be warm enough outside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
this response is probably a little too late but ....
I dont know if that price is high or not but it SEEMS high. I am getting my trunk lid painted and was quoted at apprx. $150. I do know the guy a little but if they are charging you $450 then the shop is probably making a lot of profit. I would shop around more..maybe stop at some shops and tell them youll pay them $250. Barter a little bit maybe and you might get away paying less. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
question4u