Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I absolutely hate the finish on the interior trim pieces. The radio bezel, door handle area, shifter plate. It's this rubber type finish that is sticky and is prone to scratches. Anyway, I was interested in getting paint matched to the current color. I was wondering if anyone knew anyway to strip the "rubber" coating off the pieces. Any advice will help. Thanks

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
Mine just chips right off, especially on the volume knob of my stereo. lol. the plastic underneath looks pretty cool though, its like a black lacquer.

·
Registered
2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green
698 Posts
Yeah, I have scratched the volume knob completely off because it looks better

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I could take a low grit sandpaper to it to get the "rubber" off.

Anybody ever painted plastic panels before? I'm assuming I need some type of adhesion promoter.

·
Registered
2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green
698 Posts
Or just use your fingernail. I have seen interior paint in auto stores. Read the back of the can and see what it says

·
Registered
Catera
19 Posts
*Sweet, a thread I can actually drop some info in. (I'm a novice in the car game,) but I HAVE actually bought interior paint and experimented in my last vehicle. Here's the lowdown:

- Bought white plastic paint to get the areas you labeled in my Hyundai Sonata... (I know, it's a Hyundai,) but the plastic was almost exactly the same. Not only did I remove the plate around my shifter, but I also removed the plate around my speed gauges - the plates around the door handles, etc...

- On top of that, I also bought a spray clear coat to go over the white plastic paint. This is all leading up to what I think you really want to know:

+ It came out cool, but by no means was it ANYWHERE near the original black gloss finish that my car had stock. It's a shame... I thought for sure that the white plastic paint combined with a nice clear coat would be dead on - but nope, not at all. "Did you do it correctly?" I believe so - I mean I put about 4 coats of the white plastic paint on to make sure that no black would bleed through... looked decent. Than I put on about 2-3 coats of the clear coat - but no matter what I did, (before the clear coat AND after,) the texture was just off... It was sort of grainy, and it honestly came out worse than regular spray paint might of. It just felt like regular paint no matter what I did, so it was almost like the clear coat did squat. Hope this helps in some way shape or form, even if it just stops you from trying. All in all, the pieces I painted were white, and it looked sweet from outside the car... Upon getting in though, (eventhough there was no streaks,) you could tell it wasn't original.

·
Registered
Opel Omega
1,419 Posts
if the plastic has texture you will need to sand ti down a bit, then use primer, then sand it again until its perfectly smooth then use white... 1-2 coats and then Clear 3-4 coats that way you get a nice depth into the paint... and it looks like its wet...

Good Luck...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts