Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres pic of it, i just finished it and added that volant sticker, i love it! someone else has a desgin like this i think, i kinda copied em :bouncy:

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
Nice job tell me how you did this. i just painted mine this weekend and it came out like shit. i used Dupli-Color paint and it looks like shit. i have to now order a new cover. im so pissed. i used what the guy at auto Zone told me to use.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
Nice job tell me how you did this. i just painted mine this weekend and it came out like shit. i used Dupli-Color paint and it looks like shit. i have to now order a new cover. im so pissed. i used what the guy at auto Zone told me to use.

Kinda looks like clouds in a sky.. my suggestion would be to add more coats. Hell, buy some 98 cent stuff from walmart... it will work better than that autozone stuff and you are looking for another cover anyways. you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Kevin:
I'm not one to critisize the efforts of others; however you and I have spoken before and you yourself state that the engine intake cover using the Dupli-color product came out like sh#t.......forgive me in advance if I agree with you, but perhaps I can save you some time, effort and the expense of purchasing another engine intake cover.

Like anything....whatever went onto the engine intake cover, will come off. So yes, you can strip the Dupli-color paint and start over with a fresh canvas.

Most problems associated with paint work on plastics is the failure to properly prepare the piece before painting.

Painting of course involves prepping the substrate by thoroughly cleaning and degreasing it as there are inherent petroluem based oils in a variety of plastic components including the intake cover that must be removed before moving onto any primer, base coat and clear coat applications.

Applying the base primer, base coat and final clear coat are fairly straight-forward. Just be sure to remember to lay down thin even overlapping coats and gradually build the finish.

For a professional finish, there is also typically a sanding procedure after laying down the primer followed by color wet sanding of the base coat and a final wet sanding of the clear coat followed by a decent application of 3M final cut polish with an orbital polisher.

Strip the existing paint that you applied and follow the above simple directions and simply take your time and you will be surpised at the result.

If I can be of any help or if you would like some product recommendations, feel free to PM me.

Good luck - Pete

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin:
I'm not one to critisize the efforts of others; however you and I have spoken before and you yourself state that the engine intake cover using the Dupli-color product came out like sh#t.......forgive me in advance if I agree with you, but perhaps I can save you some time, effort and the expense of purchasing another engine intake cover.

Like anything....whatever went onto the engine intake cover, will come off. So yes, you can strip the Dupli-color paint and start over with a fresh canvas.

Most problems associated with paint work on plastics is the failure to properly prepare the piece before painting.

Painting of course involves prepping the substrate by thoroughly cleaning and degreasing it as there are inherent petroluem based oils in a variety of plastic components including the intake cover that must be removed before moving onto any primer, base coat and clear coat applications.

Applying the base primer, base coat and final clear coat are fairly straight-forward. Just be sure to remember to lay down thin even overlapping coats and gradually build the finish.

For a professional finish, there is also typically a sanding procedure after laying down the primer followed by color wet sanding of the base coat and a final wet sanding of the clear coat followed by a decent application of 3M final cut polish with an orbital polisher.

Strip the existing paint that you applied and follow the above simple directions and simply take your time and you will be surpised at the result.

If I can be of any help or if you would like some product recommendations, feel free to PM me.

Good luck - Pete

thats pretty much what i did and i used brake caliper paint from O'rielly since it can handle up to 500 degrees.

X

·
0 Posts

what was the idea behind this?
Were you going for a blended/faded look, or is that the negative outcome that you came across?

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
Lets see the look I was going for was for it to look good lol but no it ended up looking like that. I cleaned it real good. then I did 3 coats of base primer, the I did 3 coats of high heat engine paint then 2 coats of clear. It just never took as well. I should of did the brake caliper paint rather then all that other shit. Probably would of worked. Im going to try to clean it up. if not ill get a new cover and get it done this time.

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
ok as you can see i tride to cover up the blue with black and it didnt work any better.:thepan: ill have to strip it clean and try it all over again.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
what you guys did wrong was a lack of patience.

even those covers are not that bad. what you need is to spray then use a fine grit and sand down any bumps you get then spray lightly again.

even strokes, don't over do it. Imagine you are trying to throw sand around and get it an even depth. multiple passes allowing enough time for the paint to dry wihtout "piling up"
after you get the paint the way you like it, get a can of clear coat to make it shinny.

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
what you guys did wrong was a lack of patience.

even those covers are not that bad. what you need is to spray then use a fine grit and sand down any bumps you get then spray lightly again.

even strokes, don't over do it. Imagine you are trying to throw sand around and get it an even depth. multiple passes allowing enough time for the paint to dry wihtout "piling up"
after you get the paint the way you like it, get a can of clear coat to make it shinny.
Well i hope when i clean it up and retry it this weekend i can get it to work like that. i still think the guy at Auto Zone gave me the wrong stuff:rant2:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Well i hope when i clean it up and retry it this weekend i can get it to work like that. i still think the guy at Auto Zone gave me the wrong stuff:rant2:
It appears you have a film on the cover and the paint is not taking. A strong detergent like Dawn would have helped. I suggest using a primer that takes to virtually everything like "Kilz". It's available in a rattle can at Lowes and other stores.

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
Thanks ill pick some up. I did wash it with car soap before I did it. I think maybe I didn't rinse it good enough before I added the base clear coat. but ill try it all over again.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Kevin:
You had sent me a PM asking what products to use to properly clean, prime, paint and clear coat the engine cover.

Bob actually gave you a very inexpensive way to properly clean and degrease the intake cover before applying the primer coat.

Dawn dish detergent is an excellent product that you can grab at the grocery store for less than 2 bucks. It is absolutey guaranteed to strip any of the topical grease, oil, wax or silicones on just about anything.

The majority of automotive car washes, even the cheap ones; contain carnuba wax which is ultimately going to set up your primer and paint application for a disasterous finish.

In fact; if you ever want to ruin the countless hours and weekends that you spent applying multiple coats of Zaino polish to your ride; a quick car wash wish Dawn dishwash detergent will do the trick and completely strip the finish and all of your hard work.

As a side point, I would recommend that whenever you take your CTS in for service, tell the Service Advisor to NOT WASH the car. You have no idea what kinds of products they are using and there have been horror stories on the Forum of members that have invested countless hours of sweat in applying more than a dozen coats of Zaino and waiting for each coat to cure to produce a mirror like finish. One "free car wash" from the dealer results in a disaster!

The automotive primer that you need for plastic as well as the clear lacquer should be available from any reputable auto supplier in aerosol spray cans.

If your looking for a base coat that matches your vehicles BLUE CHIP finish, you can obtain that as well with a little work. Go to you local body shop and ask who there local paint supplier is. You may also be able to find it in the yellow pages.

The point is that the paint supply shop can mix the GM "Blue Chip" enamel and in some cases they have the ability to fill it in an aerosol spray can for an additional charge.

The point is you can spray the intake cover in the same identical BLUE CHIP enamel that is applied to the exterior of the vehicle.

If they cannot put in in an aerosol can for you; you can purchase a pint of it for about $40 bucks and if you have access to an HVLP sprayer.....you can go to town and will have lots left over for touch up.

Kevin, another great source for the actual GM Cadillac Blue Chip OEM paint in ready to use aerosol cans is available from: www.towerpaint.com

For an even wider selection of automotive paints for cleaning and prep work for interior, exterior and high temperture use applications can be found at: www.eastwoodco.com and www.caswellplating.com

Call there tech lines.....you'll find that there service representatives are extremely knowledgeable about there product lines and you will get far better competent advice then what is available to you at Pep Boys, et al.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L VVT
32 Posts
I used the duplicolor on mine... once again prep prep prep is the key... Get some good plastic cleaner and make sure it is dry dry dry....

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
390 Posts
Nice that look hot. how did you cover up the lettering like that to paint around it? Also exactly what Dupli paint did u use?

X

·
0 Posts
That is freakin' tight. I'm going to use a version of that on mine...:thumbsup:
I used the duplicolor on mine... once again prep prep prep is the key... Get some good plastic cleaner and make sure it is dry dry dry....

·
Registered
2004 Black Raven 3.6L Sport/Luxury
834 Posts
After sitting on my workbench 1/2 done for the last 6 months, I finally finished mine. Some screw-ups but good from far....

engine cover cls.jpg engine cover ls med.jpg

So now I need to find my next project to start and finish next year.

fn sox are killin me. :banghead:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
After sitting on my workbench 1/2 done for the last 6 months, I finally finished mine. Some screw-ups but good from far....

View attachment 36641 View attachment 36640

So now I need to find my next project to start and finish next year.
fn sox are killin me. :banghead:
Looks nice! I see you added the newer radiator seal as well.:thumbsup:

Now about the Soxs & the Indians....:D

·
Registered
2004 Black Raven 3.6L Sport/Luxury
834 Posts
Looks nice! I see you added the newer radiator seal as well.:thumbsup:

Now about the Soxs & the Indians....:D
Why to you think I finished it.... I am so depressed.

The Rad cover was one of the first inspriational directives I took from one of your posts when I first joined!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts