Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've caught some paint slightly peeling off on the passenger side wheel well. I've heard that something like this left untended can lead to rusting and other problems. What can and should I do at this point?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,030 Posts
That rocker, and the bottom 4" of the fender, are rusted internally. See those bumps and bulges under the paint, as well as the rust-colored spots ? The car is due for a fair amount of body shop work.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,630 Posts
I've heard that something like this left untended can lead to rusting
As Sub said, it's too late, but it will get worse if left unattended.

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, not what I wanted to hear. There isn't a speck of rust on the exterior that I've ever seen. I always hose it down, especially during the winter to get salt off, and in the wheelwell's too. So those bumps that formed caused the paint to heave up and peel I take it. Is there anything I can do at this point?

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Is it even possible to avoid rust completely in areas like that? Especially if you live in the snow states? I just don't think it is.

I have rust between the weather strip and the metal on the rear doors at the bottom. Never thought to check that all the time, but I will for the next car. But again if the car is 10+ years its to be expected in the state where winter sometimes never ends...

·
Super Moderator
86,630 Posts
If you live in the rust belt and drive in the winter on salted roads, soon or later rust is gonna appear. It's as inevitable as the sunrise.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like that piece that's rusting inside with the paint peeling (long metal strip underneath the doors) is held in with some bolts. Is it also welded on, or is there a possibilty I can remove it myself and get rid of at least some of the rust, and perhaps buy some matching paint and fix up that peeling?

·
Super Moderator
86,630 Posts
That's the rocker panel and I do not believe it is bolted on. Remember, unless you get every minute bit of rust off, it will come back. When you sand it down and think you are done, there will be what looks like a black "stain". That is rust. The panel must be sanded shiny before you prime and pain.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes ranger, they did also say it was the rocker panel. One of the mechanics at the shop I visit came out and took a look and said that isn't rust under there due to it being galvanized steal. So peeling off that flaking paint, cleaning up in that area and reapplying paint should do.

Now, where can I find matching paint for my 1993 Seville? I realize I'll probably need to blend it but all the way down in that area...I don't mind very much if it isn't a perfect match. I also recall using some type of General Motors search engine that tells you the rarity of options installed in your Cadillac (perhaps someone knows what I'm referring to, I've forgotten the link) and apparently my silver color was quite rare, something like only 400~ produced in this color, which explains why I don't recall ever seeing another 92-97 Seville in my color.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Ranger. Unfortunately for me I don't have the Cadillac this week and I didn't take a look at the doortag which supposedly lists the paint code. I'm looking at the original door sticker for my Cadillac and it lists the exterior color as "Platinum". Using the GM Vin decoder --- http://www.compnine.com/vid.php --- the exterior color is SEBRING SILVER MET (13U).

Using that site you provided I don't think I'd feel comfortable ordering paint based solely off the picture they provide for each color. I'm also guessing that perhaps they aren't using the same name for each color. They do however list a silver color that coincides with the number 13 that the vin decoder brought up for my color. Any other method I can use to verify the paint color/code using the VIN number?

·
Super Moderator
86,630 Posts
I thought that paintscratch.com does use the VIN number to match the paint color. I ordered some paint from them to do a repair on my now son-in-laws car a year or so ago and it was a perfect match. You could always stop by a dealer or body shop.

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
Is it even possible to avoid rust completely in areas like that? Especially if you live in the snow states? I just don't think it is.
That's what I liked about my STS--no place for rust on the body, bottom half. The material isn't metal. Just the underside of the car can rust, unless you let the hood and such turn to crap (they're metal).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts