Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2007 Escalade
2007 Escalade AWD
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have quite a few chips and few rust spots on my truck.
I touched up a few spots but was thinking of just having the whole thing repainted.
Until, that is, I was quoted like $5k by Maaco. I'll repaint the whole thing with a Sharpie before I spend that kind of money.

Anyone have any experience having your truck repainted? How much did you spend?
Did you opt to just do a bunch of touching up?
How did it turn out?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
Paint work time/cost depends on the paint system used - the base coat / clear coat 3-part systems are hellishly expensive to work on. $5K for an Escalade BC/CC job is dirt cheap (even at a MAACO).

If you have a death wish you might try some DIY with matching paint kits from www.paintscratch.com.

The RPO sticker gives the codes for every option in that vehicle plus the paint system and color code. Or, you can get a build sheet for that car and any other 4 with a $5 subscription to www.compnine.com.

·
2007 Escalade
2007 Escalade AWD
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paint work time/cost depends on the paint system used - the base coat / clear coat 3-part systems are hellishly expensive to work on. $5K for an Escalade BC/CC job is dirt cheap (even at a MAACO).

If you have a death wish you might try some DIY with matching paint kits from www.paintscratch.com.

The RPO sticker gives the codes for every option in that vehicle plus the paint system and color code. Or, you can get a build sheet for that car and any other 4 with a $5 subscription to www.compnine.com.
Uggh.
I guess I'll just keep touching up spots then.
I also thought about a vinyl wrap.....just over the lower half, where most of the chips and rust is.

·
Registered
07 Escalade ESV and 13 EXT
4 Posts
I touched up a few spots but was thinking of just having the whole thing repainted.
Until, that is, I was quoted like $5k by Maaco. I'll repaint the whole thing with a Sharpie before I spend that kind of money.

How did it turn out?
I have been slowly buying painted parts. First the front bumper, a little over $300. Installed myself. Then the hood, just under $700. It was so well wrapped when it came it could have been dragged by the delivery truck and no damage. Low-priced Painted Auto Body Parts.

·
2007 Escalade
2007 Escalade AWD
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been slowly buying painted parts. First the front bumper, a little over $300. Installed myself. Then the hood, just under $700. It was so well wrapped when it came it could have been dragged by the delivery truck and no damage. Low-priced Painted Auto Body Parts.
probably would be cheaper to replace the whole exterior than have it professionally painted smh

·
Registered
Cadillac
581 Posts
I'd like a carbon fiber or black hood for my diamond white Escalade. If anyone wants to swap, I'll meet you half way ;)

·
Registered
Escalade Hybrid 2009
115 Posts
I'm getting new black paint for my Escalade, will be around 3000 euros (so ~USD3300). Some rust spots but work is cheaper here :)

·
2007 Escalade
2007 Escalade AWD
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting new black paint for my Escalade, will be around 3000 euros (so ~USD3300). Some rust spots but work is cheaper here :)
I'll likely just get myself a nice sander and go at myself. Since I'm just dealing with a few inches here and there, hopefully it wont look too bad.
Cant look much worse than the rust spots lol.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,420 Posts

How did it turn out?
This is why I go over 2000 miles to my brother's in Cali to buy rust free trucks. Costs about 8/900 in plane fare, gas and hotels driving home. And everyone here drools when they see them. Plus, so much easier to work on than anything that lived in the rust belt. Replaced my rear shocks last week as the air bladders were ruptured. Easy peasy bolts came out, bolts went in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wholly guacamole that's cool. That company will deliver to our door for $664.80 for a new, painted, Platinum bumper cover in white diamond premium paint our '09.

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
$5k would be about right for a vehicle that size. The paint is about as much as the labor nowadays.

·
Registered
1969 Deville convertible
104 Posts

How did it turn out?

·
Registered
1969 Deville convertible
104 Posts
I have had many cars painted at MAACO. 5K is a fair price for painting a full size truck with a two stage paint. You can save a lot if you want a one stage paint. IN Alabama I got my Deville painted for 3500. But they did not disassemble anything. If you have Maaco paint it be sure that they agree to tape off fender wells and inside the motor bay. I have had overspray in both areas since they don't tape off those areas very well. another thing is to read the reviews for each outlet. some outlets are far better than others. A proper paint job where they dis assemble the car to do it right, will cost you upwards of 10K.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This supports having a part painted and shipped to the house for install. The rear bumper cover on our Denali was $2.3k when someone backed into the corner of it. That’s 100% CA Insur mark up for repair / replace of only the bumper cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts

How did it turn out?
I had a car painted by Maaco thirty some years ago and after having their orange peel paint job I'd never take another vehicle back to them again no matter how cheap they are. I just had my 2002 Suburban painted and that was after I had all new metal put in around the rear end and sides. The paint job alone cost me a little over $6000 and they did a great job. The problem is paint today is not made to last long but at least it stops rust. If my Suburban didn't run as good as it has with nearly 200,000 miles on it I would have just let it rust to the ground but this vehicle is ten times better than a brand new Cadillac since they don't put quality into them any more. Now for my second truck I have a 2007 Cadillac EXT that just blew a motor. That's thanks to the poor wiring harness and oil pump in these engines. It has cost me over $8,000 so far to have a new engine, cats and exhaust put on along with a new GM wire harness. Someone was in that motor some time ago before I bought it, the evidence is inside the heads. Since there was so much metal shavings in the engine I decided to put in a rebuilt engine who's manufacturer puts in a higher output and better quality oil pump. I had valve push rods bent in both heads. The engine in this Cadillac is of poor design like most auto manufacturers use today. One thing is for sure, if a person pays more than $6000 for a used 2007 Escalade they are being taken for a ride. If this new engine goes then I'm putting in a 5.3L from an earlier vehicle and new ECM programmed for it.

·
2007 Escalade
2007 Escalade AWD
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a car painted by Maaco thirty some years ago and after having their orange peel paint job I'd never take another vehicle back to them again no matter how cheap they are. I just had my 2002 Suburban painted and that was after I had all new metal put in around the rear end and sides. The paint job alone cost me a little over $6000 and they did a great job. The problem is paint today is not made to last long but at least it stops rust. If my Suburban didn't run as good as it has with nearly 200,000 miles on it I would have just let it rust to the ground but this vehicle is ten times better than a brand new Cadillac since they don't put quality into them any more. Now for my second truck I have a 2007 Cadillac EXT that just blew a motor. That's thanks to the poor wiring harness and oil pump in these engines. It has cost me over $8,000 so far to have a new engine, cats and exhaust put on along with a new GM wire harness. Someone was in that motor some time ago before I bought it, the evidence is inside the heads. Since there was so much metal shavings in the engine I decided to put in a rebuilt engine who's manufacturer puts in a higher output and better quality oil pump. I had valve push rods bent in both heads. The engine in this Cadillac is of poor design like most auto manufacturers use today. One thing is for sure, if a person pays more than $6000 for a used 2007 Escalade they are being taken for a ride. If this new engine goes then I'm putting in a 5.3L from an earlier vehicle and new ECM programmed for it.
I paid $11k for mine but didn't know what was in store for me. I've spent nearly $5k in repairs in the (nearly) 2 years I've had it. I've tried to trade it in a couple of times and got offered no more than $5k each time. So I refuse to pay for a paint job thats worth more than the truck lol.
Maybe if I get it running perfectly and ends up being a vehicle I can rely on for years to come.
But for now, I'm biding my time to pay off this loan and get in something newer and foreign.

·
Registered
38 Posts
But for now, I'm biding my time ...(to) get in something newer and foreign.
Was not expecting an Escalade owner to say this. I love German over US cars but my girl is 6’3 so our kids are giraffes. It was just being stupid lucky to get into a 08 NNBS Denali after leaving our 06 NBS Denali after a decade.

Trade in is always going hit you @ 50% value. That’s how the dealers pay for the utilities and commission. Rates are crazy low this moment. Find a local credit union, ours is at 1% for used car loans. Find out how much u want to spend & roll into a better loan. Once the CU gives u a pre auth,do a private party trade up or FSBO.

No need to continue paying for fixes on the Esky when you’d rather be throwing the money down on what u really want.

·
2007 Escalade
2007 Escalade AWD
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was not expecting an Escalade owner to say this. I love German over US cars but my girl is 6’3 so our kids are giraffes. It was just being stupid lucky to get into a 08 NNBS Denali after leaving our 06 NBS Denali after a decade.

Trade in is always going hit you @ 50% value. That’s how the dealers pay for the utilities and commission. Rates are crazy low this moment. Find a local credit union, ours is at 1% for used car loans. Find out how much u want to spend & roll into a better loan. Once the CU gives u a pre auth,do a private party trade up or FSBO.

No need to continue paying for fixes on the Esky when you’d rather be throwing the money down on what u really want.

The frustrating thing is my other car is an 08 5 series, and its so much better engineered to me.
Its just small.The Escalade was my dream truck, I'm just disappointed in how many things require repair/replacement compared to the Beamer.
Chances are, as long as it runs, I'll keep the truck and trade in the BMW for a Genesis.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Leaving an E60 for a Genesis might leave you feeling a little ill dressed after a few model years of face lifts and their history of abandoning the brand. Picture what VW did to the Phaeton as one possibility, but that’s just speculation.

I lept from my 08 Denali AWD to our 09 ESV Plat due to its serviceable predictability that’s almost boring, parts availability and most importantly, a crack Indy mechanic that’s blocks away. 09 is the first year for Flex fuel but last year for the dormant AFM usually susceptible to missed oil changes. I do wish GM got AFM right like the Asian and Euro cars. They even brand it “TFSI” if it’s got a turbo.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,420 Posts

If the OP's state has a stay at home or shelter in place or equivalent order right now, then car sales are shut down. Repairs only. That's how it is here and in the neighboring state.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts