Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '06 CTS about a month ago. I've noticed after washing it a couple of times that there are small, orangish-colored specs (almost like a rust color) in different areas of the car. Its not rust because its on the plastic parts too. Anybody else have this issue? Know what it is/causes it? My CTS is white if that helps...

·
Registered
04 cts
73 Posts
yea i have them on my car too...mine is blue chip and im pretty sure they are just things from trees, atleast im hoping. i know u can scrape em off with ur fingernail but im far to lazy to do that. im geting it detailed this week and im hoping they come off

·
Registered
2006 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried that, but not all of them will come off by scraping. I have some on the inside of the door too. Something from a tree was what I thought too but I'm not sure how they would get inside on the door frame. Hmmm...

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
I had them all over my white cts too, they came off with a little rubbing compound.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Sounds like rail dust...It doesnt matter what material the panel is...rail dust can be on any surface of the car. A clay bar won't remove this completely...clay bars shear the contaminants, as opposed to pulling them out of the surface. IF it is rail dust, theres a good chance the orange bits will appear again in the future. Its called rust bloom. You may need a paint decontamination kit.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
What is paint decontamination???
It was on plastic parts as well, and I haven't had any re-appear its been over a year.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I googled 'rail dust'...this could very well be what it is. When cars are shipped via rail car, the metal from the rail on the track sparks thus providing 'rail dust' and can cover any portion of a car. There are a couple of solutions online so I'll try a couple & see what happens. Thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts