Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic has probably been hashed to death, but as a new member, I've got questions.

I've had 2 White Denali's since 2001, and a Red Suburban prior. White seemed to be clean looking at all times, except when muddied.

My new '07 is Black, and I'm getting frustrated trying to keep it clean.

I live in Lake Tahoe, CA, with 400-600 inches of snow a year, and the roads are always dusted with sand. Fortunately, salt is NOT used because of environmental concerns.

I would like to know which wax, or sealant, or what-ever best repels dust, and lasts a relatively long time. Because of the slush and snow pelting the sides, it has to have some longevity. I may have to go weeks between rinsing off the truck.

Whay say ye?

Dave :crying2:

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2,090 Posts
i had a balck cts and let me tell you that although black is one of the best looking colors you will never keep it clean.. i live in jersey and even on the nicest day in the summer as soon as my car wash was complete i would go inside and come out and the car would alreaddy have a dusty look on it.. there is no keeping black clean.. the only time it is clean is after a wash at night... i use to use all of the Wizard line of cleaning products and it still got that dirty look after a wash.. black is just one of those cars that needs to be washed or wiped down every other day..

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
You will want to use a synthetic wax, they last 5 times longer than carnauba wax. You will want to use a cotton wash mitt for washing your truck, no sponge for the paint. 100% cotton towels or cotton microfiber towels to drying or wax removal, the softer the towel the less chance of causing swirls. I owned 36 detail shops in the 80's and 90's, black cars and trucks require a lot more effort to keep them looking good, but the do look good when they are clean.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the risk of recieving some "promotional" recommendations, what brand's and products fall into this category. My locality limits me to a Pep-Boy's, Kragens and Wall-Mart for auto-supplies.

If an on-line item, could you specify a web-address.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 Escalade, 2004 Cts-V, 2006 Hummer H3
635 Posts
i like meguiars products the best... i would try zaino but it just seems like sooo much work...

i recently tried the new meguiars clay bar, to smooth out the paint and it worked excellent...

and yes black is a bitch to keep clean...

but it looks damn good when its clean

·
Registered
319 Posts
You know what they say, black is a detailers final exam. Keeping a black car clean and marr/swirl/scratch free is extremely difficult because black just magnifies any type of imperfection on your car. It has to do with the light's reflection off of your paint. Unless you garage your car, Tahoe is a terrible environment to be fanatical about your car's finish. Just think about all the snow and what it potential does to your car. If you want it looking good, it's all in the prep work ie claybar/compounding/polishing/glaze. The wax just brings out the prep work and compliments what you did to get the car glossy. Like hcvone said, if you want durability then a synthetic wax is the way to go.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.

BTW, you mentioned a Truckin magazine issue with a McGaughy's drop article, but I can't find it. Which month?

Dave

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Falkolade said:
i like meguiars products the best... i would try zaino but it just seems like sooo much work...

i recently tried the new meguiars clay bar, to smooth out the paint and it worked excellent...

and yes black is a bitch to keep clean...

but it looks damn good when its clean
Our shops used Meguiar's products for over 15 years, in fact we used more of their product than any end user for over 10 years, they are about middle of the road, and Zaino is no more work than any wax product, although is lasts much longer. :)

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
AWF_AXIS said:
At the risk of recieving some "promotional" recommendations, what brand's and products fall into this category. My locality limits me to a Pep-Boy's, Kragens and Wall-Mart for auto-supplies.

Thanks!
The longest lasting over the counter product would probably be Liquid Glass, if I would use an over the counter product I would use Mothers Reflection Wax. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
AWF_AXIS said:
Thanks for the info.

BTW, you mentioned a Truckin magazine issue with a McGaughy's drop article, but I can't find it. Which month?

Dave
Current month. I think it's selling til 5/4/06.

·
Registered
372 Posts
hvcone,

You mentioned cotton for washing and drying...what about "the Absorber"? I use in on my 04 Dark Gray Avalanche now...would it be harmful to a black paint job? (i have an 07 Black EXT on order...it is being built now).

Should i only dry with towels? I like the absorber because it doesnt leave lint behind. Also, what is your take on the "California Duster"?

I live in East TN, snow is not a problem and my truck will be garage kept...i should be able to keep it looking clean for extended periods of time.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've used the California Duster for years. I've kept one under the seats in the Denalis for years. With the new GM sealed up seat design, I don't really have a stowage place, but I intended to keep one on board anyway.... somewhere...

Please don't tell me its not healthy for my paint between washes...

Dave

·
Registered
372 Posts
haha, i am in the same boat Dave.

I keep one in that back, lockable cooler storage thing in my Avalanche...the same place i plan on keeping one in my new EXT. It is amazing how much of a difference that duster can make when my truck is clean and just needs to be "touched up".

I would hate to hear that it will be bad for the black paint.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
2007EXT4ME said:
hvcone,

You mentioned cotton for washing and drying...what about "the Absorber"? I use in on my 04 Dark Gray Avalanche now...would it be harmful to a black paint job? (i have an 07 Black EXT on order...it is being built now).

Should i only dry with towels? I like the absorber because it doesnt leave lint behind. Also, what is your take on the "California Duster"?

I live in East TN, snow is not a problem and my truck will be garage kept...i should be able to keep it looking clean for extended periods of time.

Thanks,
Chris

The only problem with the Absorber, and I used them many times, is that they are the same as a chamois, and there is no nap, so if you get a piece of dirt or a tree leaf under the Absorber is no where for it to go except against your cars finish, making it easier to scratch the surface. Dusters are great when used for what they were made for, and that is removing dust, not road debris after you have driven your car/truck, not for wiping brake dust off, you do this if you use your duster after you have driven the car/truck, even if you only drive around the block. We could always tell the customers at our detail shops that used a duster in this way, it will show scratches over a period of time, they will show up faster on dark color cars. I use and have used an electic leaf blower (Toro) for about 10 years now to remove water after I wash my cars, it removes most of the water requiring a towel or two to remove the rest, this causes less rubbing of towels against your finish, and gets all the water out of the mirrors. :)

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac AWD
322 Posts
hcvone said:
I use and have used an electic leaf blower (Toro) for about 10 years now to remove water after I wash my cars, it removes most of the water requiring a towel or two to remove the rest, this causes less rubbing of towels against your finish, and gets all the water out of the mirrors. :)
Why can't I think of cool ideas like this? Smart people like you really frustrate me!

:worship:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like that leaf blower thing. A long time ago, when I had an air compressor/tank in my garage, I would blast some of the water out after a wash, but haven't thought about an alternative since.

Only problem is, all I have now is a snow-blower, having left LA 12 years ago.

Dave

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have used and had very good luck with wizardproducts.com mist and shine with there micro fiber towel it works very well. 3m has very good stuff as well.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
AWF_AXIS said:

Thanks!

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

·
Registered
2000 Escalade
242 Posts
AWF_AXIS said:
I like that leaf blower thing. A long time ago, when I had an air compressor/tank in my garage, I would blast some of the water out after a wash, but haven't thought about an alternative since.

Only problem is, all I have now is a snow-blower, having left LA 12 years ago.

Dave
Using that snow blower must be tough :eek: How do you get it up on the roof? Sorry, couldn't resist. BTW, nice tip about the leaf blower...I'll try it Sunday, especially on the roof!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
oh wow... A LEAF BLOWER, why didnt i think of that????

That is an awesome idea. I am so particular about my vehicle. I will open and close the doors like 20 times to get all of the water out. I am sooo gonna have to buy a leaf blower.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts