Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two small paint bubbles forming on the edge of the black paint near the chrome piece on the hood of my CTS. I have an 06 CTS that is still under factory bumper to bumper warranty. Should something like this be covered under the factory warranty?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
I have the same problem on my 05 CTS... which is out of waranty =[.
But it may not be out of the rust warranty. Remember there are more than one warranty on every car. Like for example, 100,000 mile or 10 year warranty on all emission parts.

KOT

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L
59 Posts
I checked the warranties on 05-06.

Basic: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Drivetrain: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Roadside: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Rust: 6 yr. / 100,000 mi.

Unfortunately.. mine has over 100,000 =[

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
I checked the warranties on 05-06.

Basic: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Drivetrain: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Roadside: 4 yr. / 50,000 mi.
Rust: 6 yr. / 100,000 mi.

Unfortunately.. mine has over 100,000 =[
Be an a hole and buy a gauge cluster from some where that has 80,000 or so miles on in. Install and take it down to the dealer. LOL

·
Registered
'04 CTS 3.2 5-spd Manual
165 Posts
There is a TSB on this exact issue:

06/01/2006 PREMATURE ALUMINUM PANEL HOOD CORROSION/BLISTERING - REVISED

Bulleting #01-08-51-004D

With the TSB in hand, you have a strong argument that this is a known issue and must be covered under warranty.

If you're out of warranty, you can make the same argument that it could be covered since the TSB is out there as a "courtesy" (sometimes works, depends on the dealer). But with GM in bankruptcy, I wouldn't hold my breath...

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
There is a TSB on this exact issue:

06/01/2006 PREMATURE ALUMINUM PANEL HOOD CORROSION/BLISTERING - REVISED

Bulleting #01-08-51-004D

With the TSB in hand, you have a strong argument that this is a known issue and must be covered under warranty.

If you're out of warranty, you can make the same argument that it could be covered since the TSB is out there as a "courtesy" (sometimes works, depends on the dealer). But with GM in bankruptcy, I wouldn't hold my breath...
Talk with body shop mgr. Offer to split the cost. Be very professional. The minute you get aggressive, he will reciprocate with similar wording and behavior. Throw in a large pizza or two, and this might restore his faith in good customers. Seriously.

You will then have a friend for life.

(Even if you are a SOB to everyone else.) LOL

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
BTW, read the rust warranty fine print from any manufact. It covers "rusting through the metal," from one side to the other, not surface rust.

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
I had the same problem and thought it would be under warrenty. I brought it in and they examined three of the bubbles and told me that this was caused by rocks hitting the car while driving and water had seeped in... not covered under warrenty. I sure couldn't tell it was from rocks, there didn't appear to be any missing paint, just bubbles. They said in order to fix it, it would require a complete repainting of the hood... $500. I said forget it. 4 months later I was at the car wash and all the bubbles stripped off.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
I tried to have mine covered for the same thing...no luck.
Mine only has 2 or 3 bubbles I think. Its not as bad as some I've seen.
Also I've heard the hood is aluminum and won't rust...any truth to this??

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,096 Posts
Be an a hole and buy a gauge cluster from some where that has 80,000 or so miles on in. Install and take it down to the dealer. LOL
Here we are with somebody else suborning a Federal Felony.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
I had the same problem on my 04 with less than 50,000 miles, took it to the dealer over a year ago and they basically told me unless it rusts through, meaning a hole, that there was nothing they could do. They told me call Cadillac corporate that maybe they might do something, called corporate and they basically told me to pound sand. Ended up taking it to a body shop and paid $480.00 to have the hood repainted. The body shop said the corrosion somehow got in the paint not on the hood, they said the hood was aluminum and would not rust. Not sure, but regardless this is something you would think should not be happening with that many miles, and if they concerned with customer satifaction you would think that they would take of it. Unfortunately the tsb's mean they know of the problem, not that they care.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just had the hood done about a month ago under warranty for my 06 CTS.The body shop manager said it is a common problem on the CTS. I was surprised when he told me the hood is aluminum.

Nebojsa

1 - 18 of 18 Posts