Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with my '99 Concours. It is one swank vehicle of which I am quite proud. Problem is the trunk SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAKS every time it is opened. It is somewhat embarrassing when I walk up all proud and the the trunk sounds like an '87 Toyota. I have looked-admittedly not in-depth-but where would find the hinges to oil them? They seem pretty well hidden from view. And once located-what would I use? WD-40?

Right now I just hit the realease on the keyfob and rush to raise it as fast as I can-squeak is minimized that way and I can maintain some sense of dignity. (By the way-never a squeak when closing it).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Id just get some WD40 and go to town...... Actually, if permitting, Id get in the trunk and move it around and listen to the sounds......... I did that with mine, and I eliminated most of the squeaks....... I used seafoam deep creep, and it worked great!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elwesso said:
I used seafoam deep creep, and it worked great!!
Thanks! Never heard of DEEP CREEP-but never had to look. Anywhere or just automotive stores?

And then my next question...can I really oil the 'hinges' with abandon? If I do so will the trunk lid just fly up and cause damage to the hinges? I ask because there almost seems to be a deliberate 'tension' built in to 'gently' raise the lid. I guess the thing is so massive that pneumatic struts would have been impossible.

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
You ask a VERY common question. Unfortunately Wes is pretty close to the solution. In the past, I've dumped literally half a can of a spray lube in the trunk while trying to get that damn noise. Persistence pays off though. I usually use a penetrating fluid like WD-40 to locate the source of the squeek and then once located, I soak it with something like Super Lube which won't dry up and evaporate like the WD-40 type stuff.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
No harm will be done to it, I believe there are rubber stops......

I dont know where to get this deep creep stuff I referred to....... I found it up at our shop, and pilfered a can......

Every car thats not new (greater than 3 years most the time) Ive seen has a really squeaky trunk....... I need to "re-creep" my trunk soon!!!

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Of course there are always exceptions like my 78 which doesn't squeak at all. But my chair was squeaking yesterday, and some WD40 helped.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I like squeaky chairs...... It keeps me entertained on those cold snowy afternoons in indiana........

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
elwesso said:
I like squeaky chairs...... It keeps me entertained on those cold snowy afternoons in indiana........

I don't even wanna know :canttalk:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts