Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the pads and rotors on a 2001 DHS.

I've been searching on here and found that the back calipers will require the
little screw in tool to compress them, front are standard fair using the c clamp.

Other than that I looked on Autozone's website, and going with all
Duralast stuff it would be about $200.

I also checked out the Brembo blanks(they only make them for the front have,
to use the Duralast rotors on the rear which is no big deal)
and Akebono ceramic pads front and rear, total is about $300, still reasonable.

What would you guys consider for the rotors and pads?
This is my mom's car so they need to be quiet and dust as little as possible,
all out performance is not the goal.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
The brand of brakes isn't as important as what material that pads are made of. As long as you stick with ceramic pads you will get very little dust and barely any noise. Whatever you do don't put in metallic pads, they are noisey and produce massive amounts of dust. I usually get raybestos brake pads, little pricey but last for a long time.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
35 Posts
I would check the Duralast Gold, most of the gold pads are ceramic. Semi-metallic can make more noise, and produce a good deal of dust. I would also stay far away from straight metallic pads, unless you have rotors designed for them.

I'd honestly reccomend the Duralast line...I work at Autozone, and I just put them on my car, they seem to be just peachy for me.

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
I thought there was a special set of front pads that were "counter-balanced" to address the high speed vibration issues that the 2000+ models seem to be famous for. Anyone ever use these? Do they solve the vibration issue?

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
The Autozone Duralast stuff is fine. I recently put their ceramic pads and rotors on my car. Before that I had expen$ive Brembo cross-drilled rotors from Tire Rack along with their Akebono ceramic pads. After 6 months the vibration was back; after 25k miles the rotors and pads were shot. The pads I can see being worn out after 25k miles, but not the rotors (I would expect to just have to cut them, but they were toast).

Autozone has a 2-year warranty on the Duralast rotors, including warping.

Jim

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
I thought there was a special set of front pads that were "counter-balanced" to address the high speed vibration issues that the 2000+ models seem to be famous for. Anyone ever use these? Do they solve the vibration issue?
This is the first time I have heard of this. Do you have anymore info?

Don

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I went for the GM rotors on the rear because no one makes good aftermarket rear rotors. I went with EBC UltraMax Black Dash slotted rotors on the front.

Along with EBC Green Stuff pads all the way around.

I don't know much about EBC but they came recommended and from reading the literature it sounds like they use only the best quality material available and they're serious about their product.

Oh yeah, and this should be in the Brake forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts