Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

New Owner here with a saaweeet!! 14 CTS Vsport Premium. Looked for a thread with my question and sort of found one with similar question but I did not see the answer. So here is the question: When in auto-mode then using the paddle shifter to downshift, if I do nothing and the rpms get to around 2,500 or maybe 3,000 it will switch to "D" mode. So is using the paddle shift while in D mode just a temporary thing and when you depress the M does the shift wait all the way until redline? I know my charger would hold the gear until redline while in paddle shift.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Since I don't own a V-Sport, perhaps I'm not the one to answer, but what you've described is the typical behavior of every paddle-shift automatic I've ever driven, including my wife's Volvo XC60 R Design. Depressing the paddle shifters when the transmission was/is otherwise in D (fully automatic) enables a "temporary" override of the automatic. Only when you enable "manual" mode in the car (and that's different from manufacturer and model-model) will it go fully manual and hold gears/revs. I presume in the CTS V-Sport that's when you depress the "M" button on top of the gear shift. On my wife's Volvo (and I believe BMW's), it's when you flick the gear shift to the left (no button).

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
Audi A4 is correct. Hey when are you getting your Vsport?

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
If you shift manually and then are on the throttle, it will hold the gear.

If you go easy, it will revert back to automatic mode.

You can also hold the gear by using the "M" button or engaging Track Mode

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport sedan
64 Posts
AudiA4 is correct in that paddle shifting while in auto mode (the "D" you describe) will TEMPORARILY put it in manual mode (and show the current gear). However, as stated on page 9-26 of our manual (and regardless of throttle) if there is no activity on the paddles for approximately 10 seconds, it will go back to auto mode.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I actually started reading the manual last night. First car I ever felt I needed to read the manual. This thing is loaded with technology. I doubt I will ever figure out all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you want for a '16, looks like you'll get the new slick A8 from the Corvette.
No, I'm looking at a used '14 Premium. Honestly, I'm waiting on them to drop to about $40K for a relatively low-mileage car (currently I can find them for about $45K). Price isn't normally a huge issue for me, but since I don't have a trade-in this time (my current car is going to my imminent 16 year-old) it pinches a bit.

·
Registered
none
1 Posts
I have heard that the VSport will keep the Aisin 8-speed. Hope that is not the case. I am interested in a 2016 and I have read some negative reviews of the current automatic. Are there any current owners out there who find the tranny to be a problem?

----------

I have heard that the 2016 VSport will keep the Aisin 8-speed. Hope that is not the case. I am interested in a 2016 and I have read some negative reviews of the current automatic. Are there any current owners out there who find the tranny to be a problem?

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport, 2016 Chevy SS M6
493 Posts
I have heard that the VSport will keep the Aisin 8-speed. Hope that is not the case. I am interested in a 2016 and I have read some negative reviews of the current automatic. Are there any current owners out there who find the tranny to be a problem?

I don't have an issue with it, but I'm sure you'll get mixed reviews since that is the nature of cars and the internet. I think its a proven reliable unit that provides good shift quality. The issue people likely have with it is the programming, so who's to say GM won't instill similar logic on the 8L45. By the way the CT6 is getting the new transmission, so seems likely it will trickle down to spread out development costs.

·
Registered
CTS Vsport
61 Posts
The other day I accidentally shifted into 1st gear at around 20mph. The car seemed to do it just fine. Any of you know if this is detrimental to the tranny?

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport sedan
64 Posts

----------
Frankly, I love this transmission. Each gear seems to have an excellent tach range (as low or high as you reasonably want to go), and quick, smooth shifting (in manual or auto)...IMHO.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
R
I don't have an issue with it, but I'm sure you'll get mixed reviews since that is the nature of cars and the internet. I think its a proven reliable unit that provides good shift quality. The issue people likely have with it is the programming, so who's to say GM won't instill similar logic on the 8L45.
X2 - my only issue is with a delay in downshifting when you nail the gas, which is a programming issue - it always shifts fast and smooth once it decides to (say, by hitting the paddles)

·
Registered
2015 VSport
8 Posts
Looks like you got the answer: if you want it to stay in manual paddle mode then hit the "M" button on the center stack shifter.

I was in paddle mode this morning, in Sport mode, on the freeway and some back roads.....for the first time since passing the break-period (close to 2k miles).....and holy shit I had a blast! I mean I was actually laughing a bit out loud with a shit eating grin to boot! It's so mich fun holding onto the early gears sometimes to redline. Really makes you appreciate the performance of the VSport.....which otherwise 75% of the time you might not appreciate as much since in auto it'll quickly climb those gears with all that torque keeping you under 3k rpms.

As for the tranny I think it has been super smooth. No complaints from me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts