Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Black Raven CTS-V
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it may not be much of a discussion, but i figured, what the hell. im gonna be buying headers in the very near future and i just wanted to hear some of your guys' opinions on these two different setups. i want the best of both worlds, as in sound and performance. but most of all, the price as to be in my neighborhood. i have heard bad things about pacesetter(being ceramic), but havent heard too many bad things about kooks or any ss headers, such as OBX. what do you guys think about these too different types of headers. and other brands i could look into? and if you know, whats the costs involved of what i can expect to have them installed, tuned, and whatever else needed to do the job. im only starting this thread cause i want to make an educated purchase and you guys on here would know best. thanx for any and all comments.

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
728 Posts
Just FWIW, I can't imagine there is any relevant sound or performance difference for the different brands of longtubes, assuming the same primary diameters. I also doubt that the Pacesetters are ceramic, more likely they are mild steel and thus need to be ceramic coated to prevent rusting.

There are threads from people who have installed them, and it hasn't sounded like there was any trade-off or difficulty associated with installing the cheaper brands of headers. The main differences (besides price) seemed to be header material and country of origin.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
You'll get lots of opinions by using the search function and typing in "headers". Lots of recent stuff on the OBX's, and lots of people who have other brands chime in with their opinions on those threads. There are 2 particular OBX threads that are pretty recent that'll be very helpful.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
62 Posts
does anyone know of a obx retailer? they dont list cts-v on their website, and ive seen them on ebay, but i was wondering if they offered 1.75 primaries

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
They only offer a 1.75 primary

·
Registered
2004 Maggied CTS-V
140 Posts
Pacesetter is 1 3/4, obx is 1 7/8 along with kooks

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
68 Posts
I had pacesetter long tubes on my Camaro a few years back and they fit and looked great with no problems. I have Kooks on my V and love them as well, but they were installed before I purchased it.

·
Registered
07 CTS-V Maggied
1,069 Posts
Stay away from OBX. I thought they were exact replicas and they were gonna be non problematic. I was wrong. the flanges that connect the collector to the head were warped so they had to be sent to the mill shop. They also rubbed on my steering shaft so bad it actually started bending my steering shaft. I paid for more than a full setup of what kooks is priced for in the end of all the fab work and install/re-install's.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
You obviously get what you pay for...I say there are a few companies you should trust

Kooks
American Racing
Stainless
and a couple more

Pacesetters are ok, but the quality is very poor. But the price is CHEAP, OBX are like chinese knock-offs. They dont really care about the finished product as much as the price...

·
Registered
2006 Raven CTS-V
1,245 Posts
I have Pacesetters on mine and have no issues so far (had them on for 3 months now).

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
24 Posts
I have had OBX on my car since March of this year with zero issues. The only frustrating part was wrapping them. They were not fun to wrap but I would absolutely do it all over again. Even with them wrapped they started melting one of my spark plug wires within the first day. I went and got some heat wrap for the wires and have had zero problems after ~15,000 miles. With my experience I couldn't justify the extra cost of the kooks when OBX was pretty much a direct copy. I ruled out the Pacesetters when they weren't available in 1 7/8". I would definitely consider wcryan's post though. It is certainly possible I just got lucky. If extra piece of mind is worth a few hundred dollars to you Kooks might be the way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts