Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
2001 STS
76 Posts
Theres a capacitor wired across the brake switch contacts, maybe that has open circuited. There should be an orange and white wire attached to the switch that is the power and feed to the EBTCM, the brake light, and cruise control circuits there should also be a black wire on each side of the switch, those are the wires to the capacitor.
On my 2001 STS I replaced both brake light bulbs with 3157 LED bulbs for
lower wattage, aka lower heat. All the brake lights are now working, however I still have code C1295, brake light switch open. However with current draw almost 80% less than incandescent 1157 bulbs, the circuit may think it is open when it is merely much less than expected. I did not find a capacitor on the brake switch leads.
At this time cruise control is not working and the traction control light is on, both issues seem related to the C1295 code.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,241 Posts
Old thread, but ...........

I can tell you that my 2002 STS does NOT like LED 3057 or 3157 substitute brake light bulbs. Same Cruise and Stability/Traction Control codes. Back to #3157 Sylvanias - all's well. 2018 experiment during complete rear bulb changes.

Complete rear bulb change? Here's the original set after 7 years. Did it again a year ago - some of the bubs were again blackened.

Click to enlarge, click the square grid at the lower right to hide the picture size details and expose the picture note (if any).

2000+ Seville rear lighting.jpg Taillight bulbs 2.JPG

·
2001 STS
76 Posts
Old thread, but ...........

I can tell you that my 2002 STS does NOT like LED 3057 or 3157 substitute brake light bulbs. Same Cruise and Stability/Traction Control codes. Back to #3157 Sylvanias - all's well. 2018 experiment during complete rear bulb changes.

Complete rear bulb change? Here's the original set after 7 years. Did it again a year ago - some of the bubs were again blackened.

Click to enlarge, click the square grid at the lower right to hide the picture size details and expose the picture note (if any).

View attachment 572627 View attachment 572628
SUB, Thanks that confirms my suspicions that the LED bulbs are too efficient to be detected. Which is a shame since LEDs won't have the problems of overheating and failure like the incandescent bulbs. I'll replace the LED bulbs with OEM 3157s which it sounds like will cure the problem. Sounds like I outsmarted myself with the LED bulbs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now if we can get REALLY smart, perhaps we could run the LED bulbs, but add in an appropriate resistance value that ups the supply current to ‘normal’ but takes the heat and keeps it at where we put the resistor.

To engineer this, we’d have to know all the currents, and then work back to find the needed values. And use a resistor that is high wattage for heat dissipation.

Not exactly practical, but if you have too much time on your hands.......

Bjc789

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
8 Participants
bjc789