Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 09 V had no code issues with just a Hennesey intake, Corsa exhaust and W4ME tune. Recently had American Racing headers/x-pipe/high flow cats installed. Couple days later I noticed the CEL was on. So i scanned the car and cleared a P1133 code. Scanned it tonight and it had the same codes stored 4 times with one pending. It appears to be a 02 sensor issue so im wondering if the shop didnt plug one back in correctly or if the extra flow is an issue. The car only has 7K miles on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
Did you get an updated tune from W4M for your headers?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not updated the tune. I called W4ME before having the headers installed and was told the existing tune would work fine with no adjustments.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
wow. I wonder if AR STILL didnt fix the bung 02 placement. I asked Jesse what headers to go with and he told me the Kooks because they actually put the 02 bungs where they are supposed to go and the AR's are missplaced and always throw codes. 2k on my kooks headers and not a single cel.

·
Registered
2010 Escalade, 2010 CTS-V Sedan
431 Posts
sometimes with highflow cats, the readings between the front O2 and back O2's arent enough difference and thus throws a code. with the high flow cats on my vette, we just turned off the rear O2's to avoid that issue.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
^^^
P1133 is an insufficient switching code--likely due to bung placement or sensor depth. I think what you're describing is called "low variance," which would throw a different code (like P1131 and 3 others).

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
sounds like AR still hasn't fixed the issue than. Cbloveday had the same issue with his AR headers untill Jesse/W4me redrilled new bungs

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Funny- I was just talking to a friend this morning about a P1133 and P1153 on his Vette with headers. Consensus on the Corvette forums for many years has been improper bung placement in the headers (too far back).

·
Registered
2009 CTS/V
347 Posts
there is easy fix... buy efilive tuning software then go to engine diagnostics then go to 1133 and chose not report 1133... the car will not report it to you again.

·
Registered
2010 Escalade, 2010 CTS-V Sedan
431 Posts
they can throw a code for improper placement, improper depth to get them warm enough, an exhaust leak close by them, the sensor getting clogged from using leaded gas, and not enough difference between the front and rear. I forget what the threshold is, been several years since I tuned anything.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
there is easy fix... buy efilive tuning software then go to engine diagnostics then go to 1133 and chose not report 1133... the car will not report it to you again.
Yea but than if its a REAL issue that involves that code you wont have any feedback/cel

·
Registered
2009 CTS/V
347 Posts
Yea but than if its a REAL issue that involves that code you wont have any feedback/cel
yes ur rite to fix the problem is much better than just turning it of especially 1133 its a front sensor so if you fix it car will make more hoursepower

·
Banned
09' CTS-V
1,023 Posts
^^^
P1133 is an insufficient switching code--likely due to bung placement or sensor depth. I think what you're describing is called "low variance," which would throw a different code (like P1131 and 3 others).
Funny you mention O2 depth, I have allways felt my Kooks bungs are way to tall but have never addressed it. I have gotten the P1133 to calm but they have always been slow to sweep at idle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Insane,

Welcome to my world.

My AR headers have been nothing but problems and their advice was to turn off the o2 sensors, which is not an acceptable fix.

What is happening is that they o2 bungs are not deep enough in the exhaust stream to get enough flow to cause them to switch.

You need to have the bungs moved and have them ground down to put the o2's deeper into the exhaust stream.

Jesse has it figured out and explained it to my dyno/engine guy, but I have been too busy to get in to get it fixed, so the V is sitting in the garage for now.

Get it fixed quick or you will end up having to buy a new set of o2 sensors.

Good luck getting any help from this from AR.

For how much these headers cost, you think they would either fix them or quit selling them.

Mike C

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Funny you mention O2 depth, I have allways felt my Kooks bungs are way to tall but have never addressed it. I have gotten the P1133 to calm but they have always been slow to sweep at idle.
I wonder if placement is also important. The stock location would experience pulses from all 4 cylinders on that bank. I've seen some designs where it'd see only 2, still others downstream of the collectors instead of right in them...

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will definately be calling ARH to ask about the problem. I drove 8 hours to buy them in person and meet the owner. Grinding the bungs down wouldnt be that much of an issue but cutting up the headers to relocate them makes me angry after spending almost $2K. I will have to get in touch with Jesse to determine the end result. The power is way down from the day the headers were installed so getting this fixed correctly is a priority for me...

·
Banned
09' CTS-V
1,023 Posts
I wonder if placement is also important. The stock location would experience pulses from all 4 cylinders on that bank. I've seen some designs where it'd see only 2, still others downstream of the collectors instead of right in them...
I am thinking about buying someones stock manifolds and just say F the headers. I saw no real gain from them to justify the poor idle quality. Also there are pretty loud now with lots of miles on them.

·
Registered
2011 GTR
1,026 Posts
Insane,

Welcome to my world.

My AR headers have been nothing but problems and their advice was to turn off the o2 sensors, which is not an acceptable fix.

What is happening is that they o2 bungs are not deep enough in the exhaust stream to get enough flow to cause them to switch.

Mike C
Not an acceptable fix??? That has been the fix for years on all cars with high flow cats or cars with no cats. It's the rear sensors which do nothing for the cars performance or drivability. Before the o2 simulators were removed from the market, that was the fix. Every corvette tuner I know of turns off the rear sensors just in case you remove the cats or install long tubes.
So to me, it is the best and easiest answer.

Mark

1 - 20 of 33 Posts