Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1994 sedan deville 4.9
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Recently I've been comming up with a current p091 code on my 94 deville with the 4.9. I know there are many post about thus but my situation doesn't really match up to what others have experienced. I don't normally get the code until I'm idling in drive with my foot on the brake and will normally go from "current to "history" when I began driving again...car starts normally runs fine. What do I have to do to fix it or adjust the cable. Thanks for the help.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,278 Posts
Hello all. Recently I've been comming up with a current p091 code on my 94 deville with the 4.9. I know there are many post about thus but my situation doesn't really match up to what others have experienced. I don't normally get the code until I'm idling in drive with my foot on the brake and will normally go from "current to "history" when I began driving again...car starts normally runs fine. What do I have to do to fix it or adjust the cable. Thanks for the help.
====================
always include the DEFINITIONS along with the code numbers -
especially the old OBD1 codes -

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood 75
345 Posts
Transmission range switch problem check the shifter switch and make sure that it is all lined up correct Park has the lever in park N has the lever in neutral may need to be adjusted or replace the range switch due to corroded or broken contacts.

·
Registered
1994 sedan deville 4.9
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I forgot the definition its the prndl range switch...and how do I adjust it I'm not to familiar with the process

·
Registered
1994 sedan deville 4.9
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Transmission range switch problem check the shifter switch and make sure that it is all lined up correct Park has the lever in park N has the lever in neutral may need to be adjusted or replace the range switch due to corroded or broken contacts.
How do I adjust the cable?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,788 Posts
I seem to recall from my '92 that there is a small alignment hole in the switch. If I remember correctly, you loosen the mount and swing the switch until you can drop a certain size drill bit in the hole.

Not sure if there is any adjustment in the cable.

·
Registered
1994 sedan deville 4.9
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But the code only sets when I'm at idle with my foot on the brakes..speaking of brakes I noticed some funky wire splice with some of the grounds on my passenger tail light. When the brake is applied the top part of the light glows and the mid section goes out. Could this be related?

·
Super Moderator
86,788 Posts
That should not affect the transmission range switch.

·
Registered
1994 sedan deville 4.9
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That should not affect the transmission range switch.
So today i did some inspection on my passenger side tail light and noticed the rear side bumper light was hard wired into the very top brake light bulb causing it not to work. I understand that this is a huge strech for this to be related to this code but its very odd that this code only sets when im on the brakes at idle

·
Super Moderator
86,788 Posts
:noidea: Unless the hard wiring and the code started happening at the same time, it would be hard to relate the two.

·
Registered
1994 sedan deville 4.9
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:noidea: Unless the hard wiring and the code started happening at the same time, it would be hard to relate the two.
Well since the new harness went in for the tail light and all the wiring has been corrected I haven't seen the code come up yet. I'll keep you posted as the days go on, but that is a really bizarre thing if the two are related and something we should be aware of in case someone else gets the bright idea of faulty wiring scheme's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts