Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few hours of posts here regarding P0741 Cadillac - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off.
I have this code with a noise that is most likely transmission related. Noise in P and N goes away stopped in any gear, starts back intermittently while driving. It is located just under throttle body right there at transmission. Rotation type slightly grinding. No other problems smooth did i say smooth shifting, no quick or slow acceleration problems. No other symptoms at all. From what I've read the code itself is not a big problem but with the noise I am unsure. I should add if I drive in 3 it takes few hundred miles to throw code. In OD it's very quick, same day.
My question is what action should be taken? is there plenty of time? ALSO Can I safely take a road trip, say over 400 miles? Finally what do I need to replace to fix this problem? Will replacing the TCC do it? I'm sure just changing the tcc solenoid will not.?? Please someone HELP!!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,278 Posts
I have read a few hours of posts here regarding P0741 Cadillac - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off.
I have this code with a noise that is most likely transmission related. Noise in P and N goes away stopped in any gear, starts back intermittently while driving. It is located just under throttle body right there at transmission. Rotation type slightly grinding. No other problems smooth did i say smooth shifting, no quick or slow acceleration problems. No other symptoms at all. From what I've read the code itself is not a big problem but with the noise I am unsure. I should add if I drive in 3 it takes few hundred miles to throw code. In OD it's very quick, same day.
My question is what action should be taken? is there plenty of time? ALSO Can I safely take a road trip, say over 400 miles? Finally what do I need to replace to fix this problem? Will replacing the TCC do it? I'm sure just changing the tcc solenoid will not.?? Please someone HELP!!
======================
From what I've read the code itself is not a big problem

the P0741 code is caused by failed/worn seals deep in the trans -
preventing the torque converter from going into "lock-up" -
the ONLY solution is to replace the seals and torque converter -
around $2500 to $3500 to fix - THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE REBUILD -

as far as it "not a big problem" depends -

not going into "lock-up" costs 2 to 3 MPG at highway speeds -
AND it WILL illuminate the SES light -
which will cause an immediate FAIL for any emissions/inspection test -

if you don't mind the reduced gas mileage -
and you don't have emissions testing in your area -
you COULD ignore/live with it - FOREVER -

HOWEVER -

with the noise I am unsure.
the noise is NOT directly related to the P0741 problem -
and IS cause for alarm -

I recommend having the trans checked by a pro -

DO NOT GO TO AAMCO - OR ANY OF THE CHAIN STORES -

find a local - independently-owned trans shop
that has been in business for a while -

full trans rebuild will run around $3000 to $3500 plus any "hard parts" that are broken -
and not part of a typical rebuild -
YES - this would include fixing the P0741 problem -

---------------------

many people ask about installing a GOOD-USED unit -

it's always a crap-shoot because it can't be tested until it's installed -

sure - it may come with a "warranty" -
that means if THIS one doesn't work properly -
bring it back - and we'll exchange it for another GOOD USED one -

problem is - the labor to drop and reinstall it is NOT INCLUDED -

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Your noise is totally unrelated to that code.

That code indicates a leaking seal in the torque converter and/or transmission. The ONLY symptom is the inability for the converter clutch to lock up and eliminate the last ~300 RPM of converter "slip". So the engine will turn ~300 RPM faster at steady cruising speeds above 43 MPH.

You can drive the car indefinitely with this issue, nothing will fail because of it. However, if you have to pass inspection, the only fix is converter replacement and essentially a transmission tear down/rebuild.

----------

Oops, basscatt beat me.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,788 Posts
I agree. The two are not related. I have the P0741 code, but no such noises.

·
Registered
2000 deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys, just the folks I hoped to hear from too. I meant to mention I thought noises could likely be unrelated. I guess one question is, the noise does come from almost exactly the location of the tcc solenoid, does this give any insight to what exactly needs to be done in there. Also can the trany drop in the driveway? Any quick links. to explanation or video of this job. I just did the front motor mount and rear coil pack. This is bigger but I can do it here, if it's possible. I bought the car Jan. It runs so. smooth right now, I hate to think where this noise could lead. Any guesses as to how long b4 it's worse and more costly. I know its not possible to know
Again thanks for helping me out.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,788 Posts
You pretty much have to drop the drivetrain. It CAN be done in the driveway with the proper equipment, but it's quite a job.

·
Registered
2003 DeVille Talisman DTS
7 Posts
My Bride got a "Service Engine Soon" light earlier today. I pulled the current codes. Here is my complication.
, PCM P0741, and RIM C0660. The ABS codes have been there since we bought the car 6 months ago. We have had no problems with winter driving, at all, and this was a brutal winter.

We bought a 2002 DeVille DTS in the fall of 2014. It is my Bride's car. From the time we bought it, it showed the ABS and Traction System lights on the dashboard. We had this checked at a dealer shortly after buying it. The sensors are the culprits. The dealer gave us a price of a few thousand dollars to replace, recalibrate. We decided against it, and our mechanic is looking for the best price on the units involved.

Today (6 April 2015), my Bride got a "Service Engine Soon" warning. I pulled the DTC codes and in addition to the ABS codes (1214, 1248), I also got PCM code P0741 and RIM code C0660.

After pulling the codes, I cleared the codes. I am now awaiting my wife;s return from a 10 mile predominantly highway drive to see if the alert returns. I fully expect that they will.

I checked the definitions of these codes on a link I got from the discussion thread spanning eight years on this forum. I know the systems involved.

Thus I ask, what is the quickest solve to the problem? Would fixing the ABS and Traction sensors quiet the Torque Converter code? Would fixing the Air Suspension system do it? Would fixing the Torque Converter eliminate the Air Suspension system code? And why does it seem like the moon follows me!?! OK! So the last one is off topic. However, I will greatly appreciate answers on the others.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
In the future, please start your own thread.

I'll keep this short until your post is moved to its own thread. Your ABS/TCS, suspension, and torque converter codes are all separate problems.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,278 Posts
My Bride got a "Service Engine Soon" light earlier today. I pulled the current codes. Here is my complication.
, PCM P0741, and RIM C0660. The ABS codes have been there since we bought the car 6 months ago. We have had no problems with winter driving, at all, and this was a brutal winter.

We bought a 2002 DeVille DTS in the fall of 2014. It is my Bride's car. From the time we bought it, it showed the ABS and Traction System lights on the dashboard. We had this checked at a dealer shortly after buying it. The sensors are the culprits. The dealer gave us a price of a few thousand dollars to replace, recalibrate. We decided against it, and our mechanic is looking for the best price on the units involved.

Today (6 April 2015), my Bride got a "Service Engine Soon" warning. I pulled the DTC codes and in addition to the ABS codes (1214, 1248), I also got PCMcode P0741 and RIM code C0660.

After pulling the codes, I cleared the codes. I am now awaiting my wife;s return from a 10 mile predominantly highway drive to see if the alert returns. I fully expect that they will.

I checked the definitions of these codes on a link I got from the discussion thread spanning eight years on this forum. I know the systems involved.

Thus I ask, what is the quickest solve to the problem? Would fixing the ABS and Traction sensors quiet the Torque Converter code? Would fixing the Air Suspension system do it? Would fixing the Torque Converter eliminate the Air Suspension system code? And why does it seem like the moon follows me!?! OK! So the last one is off topic. However, I will greatly appreciate answers on the others.
========================
you should always include the code definitions -
no one has them all memorized -

·
Registered
2003 DeVille Talisman DTS
7 Posts
I have done as instructed, and reposted this to a new thread. I will also make the adjustment of including the definitions in the repost.

Sorry for disturbing you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts