Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine light on my 1997 SLS has been coming on and off intermently and so I went and had a diagnostic done on it at the local Auto Zone.
The code that came up was a PO741 , TCC System Stuck Off. I know that it relates to the torque converter, but that's all I know. I have had no obvious problems with it running other than the engine light. Does anyone know how serious this can be and a recommendation on how to proceed? Any guidance is surely appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same code - P0741.
The only problem it gave me is I was unable to pass NJ Vehicle Inspection.
I just cleared all the codes, - search for it in the forum.
After clearing I was able to pass the inspection, but the code reappears every 1,000 miles or so.
Could you do any damage driving like that?
According to the experts. it is not an easy task to troubleshoot such a thing.
At least it is not cheap and, having almost 10 year old car, might make sense to drive it like this and clear the codes once in a while.
I have 2000 STS with the same problem and do not plan to do anything about it.
If it is the only problem u have with this car, you are quite lucky, considering stories how some Sevilles just shut down in the middle of the highway, shake after 50mph.
Just enjoy the car like I do - that is a hell of a vehicle and I am enjoing every minute of it.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
I had the same code about two weeks ago. I cleared it, and it hasn't reappeared. To the best of my knowledge, this is a solenoid, that creates lock-up in the torque convertor. With the TCC operating correctly, the torque convertor will be fully locked, in OD, resulting in better fuel economy. Without it operational, it kind of works like many "regular" automatic transmissions that have been made for who knows how many years. It shouldn't be a problem running the car this way. As posted above, it will interfere with state inspections though.

Don

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Dadillac is correct. Worst case is that there will be some minor slippage so you will turn 100-200 higher RPM at any given speed, thus your milage may drop by a MPG or less I would guess. Do a search, it has been discussed many times and should be a lot of info on it.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Your fuel mileage will drop off and the heat level will rise inside the transmission. With an inoperative TCC you lose a lot of efficiency on the highway. The cause could be a number of things. Most shops have a set of items they service when they see this code. We have a pre-completed estimate sheet that we use, all we have to do is check for updated part numbers and give you the latest pricing.
It usually involves replacing a handful of seals and the torque converter just to be sure it's not an internal leak in the converter itself.

It is an emissions related code since it has to do with fuel efficiency and how much junk is coming out the tailpipe. If your state has emissions testing it will be hard to pass.

Wait if you have to but I strongly recommend you get it repaired at your earliest convenience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts