Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, for the 2nd time on the exact same 2.5 hour drive, my 09 ESV tripped the P0700 and P0742 codes. Both times the CEL went back off on its own. Since I knew the codes were tranny related (thanks to onstar) and I was out of warranty, I took it to a local tranny shop to see what they would recommend because they offer free diagnostics and I figure they specialize in this stuff. This is my 1st time at one of these shops. Well they came back saying it could be anywhere between 2k and 3k to fix, but they would need to take the entire thing apart and the final cost would be determined then. The truck is running fine, best gas mileage we have ever had, the shop test drove it and said it seemed to run fine. My question for the board is, should I take it to the dealership (my buddy is a service writer there) and expect the same quote/explanation or would they maybe say something different? Also, if you guys are in my shoes, would you continue to drive until something happens that makes me have to get fixed, or would you just take care of it now. I don't want to do unknown damage. Other than this CEL, we love the truck and it works as expected. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Are you sure your transmission isn't slipping? Driving the truck when the transmission is cold is the best way to find out. My '07 Escalade and '07 Denali had minor slippage, but it never triggered any codes.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
Maybe do a transmission fluid flush? Might help and keep the codes from coming back. If it's failing, then it's failing. If it's drives fine, then I wouldn't open it up.

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,243 Posts
I heard there was some kind of update for the software, I would take it to the dealer and have them tell you. Find out about the software updates

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mind waiting until it may fail, but the guy at the tranny shop was scaring me. He was saying that it would basically destroy my truck if it went out. That has me worried.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
I don't mind waiting until it may fail, but the guy at the tranny shop was scaring me. He was saying that it would basically destroy my truck if it went out. That has me worried.
Had the tranny fail twice on our old 07 Yukon Denali XL ( high mileage and driven hard). It does not destroy the truck, had it fixed and moved on to Escalades after the second tranny.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts