Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I checked battery after car sat all night. It was 12.1 volts .
Hooked up scanner and started car, went up to 13.4 volts, when I went to pcm it was saying it was getting 13.6, after idling for a few minutes the car died and spit out code p0601.
When I checked battery again it said 11.9 volts . I cleared code and restarted it , car ran for 2 minutes and died again, same code. Cleared it restarted again and this time I revved and held rpm at around 3000, car kept running, once I released pedal a couple of seconds later it stalled again.
My question is , can the low voltage in battery cause this issue?
Also when I used volt meter after all this , my connectors on battery were quite hot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also before the p0601 code it spit out a p0700, and a u0100, I cleared them and then it was only p0601 after that

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,304 Posts
Low voltage can create this code. It sounds as maybe your battery is losing a cell; first, best guess, bad battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today I checked battery after car sat all night. It was 12.1 volts .
Hooked up scanner and started car, went up to 13.4 volts, when I went to pcm it was saying it was getting 13.6, after idling for a few minutes the car died and spit out code p0601.
When I checked battery again it said 11.9 volts . I cleared code and restarted it , car ran for 2 minutes and died again, same code. Cleared it restarted again and this time I revved and held rpm at around 3000, car kept running, once I released pedal a couple of seconds later it stalled again.
My question is , can the low voltage in battery cause this issue?
Also when I used volt meter after all this , my connectors on battery were quite hot.
My 07 sts did the same thing and a new battery solved the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you have it happen intermittently?
I got code about a month ago, and then today
The old battery would hold a charge overnight for two days then just overnight. If I started it everyday it seemed to be okay but I don’t always drive it so yes it was intermittently

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The old battery would hold a charge overnight for two days then just overnight. If I started it everyday it seemed to be okay but I don’t always drive it so yes it was intermittently
Ya I havent been driving much lately , only seems to happen when car isnt driven much and idling in driveway,
Wonder if the battery is causing the issues with my air ride compressor, just had it replaced,
Comes on at start up but doesnt when I load up back seat and trunk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ya I havent been driving much lately , only seems to happen when car isnt driven much and idling in driveway,
Wonder if the battery is causing the issues with my air ride compressor, just had it replaced,
Comes on at start up but doesnt when I load up back seat and trunk
No I haven’t had that problem but when I replaced the battery I haven’t had a starting problem even if it sits for a few dsys

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found this online....

A failing battery can also cause ECM failure. While most of your car's systems can run on far less than 12 volts, dead battery cells can impact your ECM before they affect your starter or headlights. In this situation, replacing your battery will usually solve the problem

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L LY7
95 Posts
Unless you are using power while you're checking it running (fans, headlights) 13.4 seems low. 11.9 seems a little low for the standing battery also.

Mine runs at 14.7 & stands at 12.6. I'd clean up connections & check it again. I would agree the battery is not good but while charging at only 13.4 I'd be suspicious of the alternator also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replaced battery today, when car is running it's now 14.5 and when I turn off car, battery 12.71

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,295 Posts
In reply to your "use battery power when engine is running........." - No, the car uses no battery "power" when the engine is running and the alternator/voltage regulator is supplying system voltage/amperage. Batteries are used only for starting - any time the engine is running they "float" on the system, acting as a buffer spring. The alternator does all the work which is why it runs at well over 150 degrees.

A fully charged battery in good condition shows 12.6 volts disconnected from anything for a half hour. Normal running system voltage is (depending on make/model/yea-r) 13.8 to 14.8 volts. Voltage is held slightly high to maintain full battery charge (good battery) while amperage is varied to carry the vehicle loads.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Found this on a battery website
"Once the car gets running, the alternator is now being spun by the engine and recharging the battery. The engine and other electrical systems are still running off current from the battery, but the battery is being fed by the alternator. The alternator will provide sufficient current to recharge the battery and top it off during normal operation. It also, under normal use, is designed to provide sufficient power to the vehicle's built in electrical accessories such as headlights and taillights, the car radio, fans, any onboard computers, etc."

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,295 Posts
Both 17 and 18 are very incorrect.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts