Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Cadillac STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forums and need opinions as I'm not too knowledgeable on cars.

I have a 95 Cadillac STS with 90,000 miles on it. I've had it for 7 years. I only put roughly 3,000 miles a year on it.

I took it in for service 6 months ago and they said it had a power steering leak, but it was a small leak. I held off on fixing it, and never had to add power steering fluid in 6 months (husband checked it). But, they sent me a letter reminding me about it.

I went ahead and had it fixed last week, because they said it could go out just driving down the road and/or it could leak onto other components that you don't want to get wet. It was the high pressure power steering hose (R&R power steering line according to my bill), not the other one that returns the fluid. It was $514 to fix. Ouch.

A few days later, in a parking lot after just starting the car, I see the Service Engine Soon Light on, so I call the dealership. They say to bring it in and they pull the codes. The light was off by then.

The only code they pull is the P056 code, and it's not current, but in history. They told me it's a sensor inside the transmission that is $30, but $1200 in labor. Of course, they tell me that my transmission will suffer if I ignore it eventually causing the transmission to blow. I don't have $1,200 right now, and I'm not even sure what's going on. I wanted to research it first.

Is it a coincidence that I've had no shifting problems and no codes in 7 years, and they I take it in for that power steering repair, and now I have all these problems?

Since taking it in, the light comes and goes. I can't figure out a pattern to it just yet, but I'm trying to log it. It drives great, and seems to shift fine.

Anything I can check or do before replacing that sensor? Is it worth changing? Opinions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
P056 (E056) ........................................ Transmission Input Speed Sensor
Yup, $30 part, $1200 deep in the trans. Unrelated to the P/S line.

You can pull the codes your self by simultaneously pressing and holding the OFF & PASSENGER WARMER buttons. Answer yes to the prompts with the HIGH FAN button and no with the LOW FAN button. Clear the code and see if it returns.

·
Registered
873 Posts
P056 (E056) ........................................ Transmission Input Speed Sensor
Yup, $30 part, $1200 deep in the trans. Unrelated to the P/S line.

You can pull the codes your self by simultaneously pressing and holding the OFF & PASSENGER WARMER buttons. Answer yes to the prompts with the HIGH FAN button and no with the LOW FAN button. Clear the code and see if it returns.
Ack that sucks that ours are on the inside. The one I've changed on a previous vehicle is located on the exterior of the tranny.

·
Registered
95 Cadillac STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. I will report back after I clear the code.

I've been reading a lot about the speed sensor code. Is there any truth to the theory about the spark plugs resting too close to the engine producing a false P056? Is this worth checking, and is it hard to check?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
Ack that sucks that ours are on the inside. The one I've changed on a previous vehicle is located on the exterior of the tranny.
That's the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). Mounted on the right output shaft housing.

Sorry to be dumb, but what is the passenger warmer button? I don't have seat warmers.
You have dual zone heating. There should be a rocker switch to adjust the passenger side temp I believe. Press it up for warmer.

Is there any truth to the theory about the spark plugs resting too close to the engine producing a false P056?
Haven't heard that before FWIW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts