Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 94 deville this week and have a problem. It hesitates and bucks and then the service engine soon light came on. It said p041 which is the cam position sensor. I bought the sensor and cannot find it on the car anywhere. I was told it was in the distributor. I took the cap and rotor off and didn't see it.

ANy help Please!!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,084 Posts
Being a CAM position sensor it has to be near the cam.

·
Registered
1994 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the distributor out and it is not there where the one post said. I cannot find it anywhere on the heads near the cam!

·
Super Moderator
87,084 Posts
The cam runs down the center of the valley. Without a FSM I'm not sure where it is, but I'd look on the front of the engine near the timing cover.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
I took the distributor out and it is not there where the one post said. I cannot find it anywhere on the heads near the cam!
The 4.9L doesn't have an over head cam. Like Ranger said, the cam runs through the center of the valley. I'd take a look at my FSM but I don't know where it is ............

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
CAM Sensor, otherwise known as the Hall Effect Switch is in the distributor, opposite side of the center from the HEI module, lined up against the flat side of the pole piece. If you couldn't find it, I'm wondering what is it that you got sold? Got any pictures?

You have to remove the distributor and disassemble it to replace this.

·
Super Moderator
87,084 Posts
Well hell, if it said Hall Effect switch I'd have said look in the distributor in the first place. Why don't they just call a spade a spade.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Well hell, if it said Hall Effect switch I'd have said look in the distributor in the first place. Why don't they just call a spade a spade.
I must confess I had trouble not laughing hysterically at your post kind sir. Rody too! :histeric:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Now that I have dried my tears of laughter and caught my breath, here is a diagram of the thing and also, a link from January that claims it can be replaced without removing the distributor.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/160295-94-deville-4-9-cam-sensor.html

rchachi, does the part you bought look anything like this thumbnail? hopefully it does.

I must also confess, it took me hours of looking at the schematics to realize that due to the FSM constant reference to CAM SENSOR that it is the same thing as the HALL EFFECT. Why the GM geniuses did that I'm not sure. A rose is a rose, is a rose tho', eh Ranger?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts