Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my transmission rebuilt on my 95 SLS costing me 3300.00. Not all the time but on several occasions my service light comes on and the code is P039 other codes are history but that is the current one. The car when taking off will jerk, like a hard shift. I am going to take it back to the mechanic shop that fixed the transmission, ( I do have a 3 yr warranty) next week but could anyone tell me what it is, usually the service light will come on when I have opened her up on the expressway and when I turn the car off the light may not come on untill much later. But the jerk usually only occurs when the service light is on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
resa156888 said:
I just had my transmission rebuilt on my 95 SLS costing me 3300.00. Not all the time but on several occasions my service light comes on and the code is P039 other codes are history but that is the current one. The car when taking off will jerk, like a hard shift. I am going to take it back to the mechanic shop that fixed the transmission, ( I do have a 3 yr warranty) next week but could anyone tell me what it is, usually the service light will come on when I have opened her up on the expressway and when I turn the car off the light may not come on untill much later. But the jerk usually only occurs when the service light is on.
I do not have good news for you, but here it is anyway;

Krashed is right. The code is for the electronic torque converter. Best case scenario is that the sensor or wire harness is bad. Worse case scenario is that the transmission will need to come out again, and even worse, the electronic converter is NOT normally covered under the rebuild warranty.

Please don't shoot the messenger!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well what can this do to the transmission or the engine if not replaced, and how long can I still drive the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
well not all the time...my car required a prom upgrade from the dealer to the tune of around 50 bucks, this is covered somewhere on caddyinfo.com i believe under FAQ. I know my 94 sls needed it so maybe the 95 may need it also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
91TexasSeville said:
I do not have good news for you, but here it is anyway;

Krashed is right. The code is for the electronic torque converter. Best case scenario is that the sensor or wire harness is bad. Worse case scenario is that the transmission will need to come out again, and even worse, the electronic converter is NOT normally covered under the rebuild warranty.

Please don't shoot the messenger!
That's not absolutely correct. Sometimes this code will show up after replacing the shift solenoids. It's usually due to the computer gettting used to softer more spaced shifts with the old trans, then when you have a new trans, the computer is still thinking about shifting when the old one used to. This problem can work its own way out after time, but like 94greencaddysls said, it can be fixed with an easy PROM upgrade. Do a search for p039 either here or on caddyinfo.com and you will be able to read all about it.

PS. This isn't the absolute answer, just another possibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,887 Posts
I have flow charts for that code on my comp, but they are too big to post on the forum. E-mail me and I'll e-mail them to you in the reply.

Krashed989 at gmail.com

Remove the spaces and change the at to @
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Mosty likely all you need is a prom upgrade. Like you my transmission was previously replaced with a remanufactured gm unit. After the replacement the owner told me that he was getting the po39 error. The dealer told him to bring it in later than week to fix the problem as it wasnt a big deal. He never brought the car in and traded the car in 3 weeks later. When i got the car i did some searching on here and caddyinfo.com and realized a prom upgrade was just what i need. Someone else has stated this before but the transmission seemed to operate much nicer after the upgrade also. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the car back to the transmission shop and they put some kind of oil in the transmission and said that it may take a couple of weeks for the car to start acting right, but later on that day the car stopped switching gears and when we restarted the car to drive it again it was fine. I called the shop and they told me to bring it back but it is running ok now, so I will take it back in a week when they told me to since they put in the oil. Don't know what kind of oil it is though.
The service light has come on a couple of times but not quite as often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I am having the same problem with a 89 rebuilt trans. .. I replace the ECM, but used my prom.. could changing the prom correct the problem for these years?
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
rockytfox said:
That's not absolutely correct. Sometimes this code will show up after replacing the shift solenoids. It's usually due to the computer gettting used to softer more spaced shifts with the old trans, then when you have a new trans, the computer is still thinking about shifting when the old one used to. This problem can work its own way out after time, but like 94greencaddysls said, it can be fixed with an easy PROM upgrade. Do a search for p039 either here or on caddyinfo.com and you will be able to read all about it.

PS. This isn't the absolute answer, just another possibility.
I am alert to programmable read only memory, I would have suggested that initially if I believed that to be the problem as described by the symptoms. Yes, a PROM update may help in the case of ALL NEW PARTS, but the poster was not certain all new parts were installed.

Thanks for your reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,887 Posts
I'll say this again:

I have the diagnostics flow charts for that code, but they are too big to post on the forums.
Please e-mail me and I will put the charts in the reply.
My e-mail is:

Krashed989 @ gmail.com


Just take out the spaces.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
deskjockey
Top