1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
My 2013 ESV is/was throwing the P0306.

Before the code:
Check engine light flashing on and off while on the highway along with the stabilla track light. CE light went to full on and I could then hear not banging but a clicking kinda noise like a lifter when I got off the freeway and down to normal speed. It then all of a sudden becomes Sluggish on acceleration with a noise that is clanking(this sound only happens while you have a load)(It revs fine in park). Actually it sounds like its dieseling. Kinda reminds me of the sound you get when you accidentally stick your wrench or any other item in to your old steel clutch fan. (Of course when the car is running.) Lol.I needed to drive it so I did and it mysteriously went back to normal condition. Because I erased the code? Answer is(NO). A few days later, after pulling out of my driveway, the same thing happened on a side street whilel accessing a main road. Same lights but now it threw the death wobble at me. I swapped out the coil and plug / wire for #6. All was good.

Next step:
Is to read here as of course the P0306 code is connected to way to many variables. I'm starting to pull to the speed sensor. It all makes sense with the intermittent loss of pickup acceleration. It's gotta be a kind of safeguard sensor...Your problem is now my problem. Thanks for sharing. Lol.... I truly appreciate your help and advice.

PS. Park idle now feels as if there is a missing cylinder.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
You said you swapped the coil/plug on the #6 cylinder and everything was good. I'm assuming that's no longer the case and you're having the same symptoms?

If so, you might have a faulty VLOM. The VLOM is a plate that sits on top of the engine block under the intake plenum with solenoids controlling the oil pressure to the AFM lifters. Perhaps a solenoid is malfunctioning causing the oil pressure to build up in a lifter at times when it shouldn't.

Does the issue happen at all when the engine is cold/fresh start, or is it only after it warms up (which is when AFM activates)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies.

p00ster, the number 6 cylinder was running fine before and after I swapped out the coil and plug. I changed them due to the po306 code just to see where I could start. I ventured out to harbor freight this morning as I Iust moved from California to Texas I left all of my tools there. Yes what an idiot. That's the second time I left over $7,000 worth of tools with an X.(oh well time to rebuild.... Again)

Anyway something I should also throw out there is that I have what does sound like a lifter ticking. As I mentioned earlier this symptom would come and go and clear itself up and then come again and then cleared itself up well now it is there and not going away. Anyway once the check engine light comes on and the stability light comes on my lifter starts to tick. When it clears up the lifter stops. Amazing right? Because my vechile thinks today is Monday or something it figured it would throw a P219B code at me. That's our loveable (PCM) air to fuel ratio imbalance for the bank side opposite of the number one cylinder. And since the number 6 cylinder is not on the number one side/bank, it's another code pushing at that number 6 cylinder issueThis is starting to come together like a puzzle. Talk about variables

If the VOLM is involved, that makes a bit of sense as well. If the VOLM solenoid is sticking it would make sense why my lifter (sounds like only one) around the number 6 cylinder is ticking. Hope I didn't wear out the cam. I haven't driven it much but with my luck we're going diving.

Now the p219b code makes sense as well. So whatever the culprit is, once it is found and fixed, the rest of these variables should go away.

And last, from the time I turn the vehicle on the lifter ticks and I am stuck in the p306 code with all of the fun items happening from my initial question. "Point being with the loss of acceleration and the weird sound when in the middle of accelerating". Also, when it was coming and going early in the game, it only started back up when I was driving so I would say it "initiates"only when the engine is warm.

Yes females do talk a lot but in this case you can't have TMI. Lol

Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I suggest pulling the valve covers as a next step. If you do have a stuck lifter, it will be obvious - at least one of your valve rockers will be completely loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for that answer P00TSTER.

I have a question though it does not kind of make sense. Why would my car rev perfectly in park, Have no misfire shimmy, Maintain a perfect RPM, cause the stability track light to appear giving me a death wobble?
Why would my acceleration hesitate/be limited during initial thrust.

Athough it would explain the dieseling. (Hot Cylinder firing off). But why would I not get the dieseling sound in park. (No Load)?

I'm going to first check the speed sensors to make sure they aren't the easy issue. I'll then take off the valve cover to explore the top end. (VERY GOOD IDEA THOUGH)

Again sorry to ramble on. I may be missing something so simple it made me jump over the sequence of troubleshooting to go by a code.

If it is a stuck/failed lifter, it sure the heck is causing a crazy amount of issues and different codes. Hey remember when a missfire was a missfire? You only got a clicking sound and missing sputter and feeling.

One last simple question. What would be ticking otherwise when a P0306 code appears? There's nothing I could think of mechanical or electrical that would cause a ticking.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts