Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Deville
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
I drive a 99 deville and when i start my car sometimes at a cold engine temp it will choke a bit and during the winter it would rev a bit around 1025 rpm. I took it to a dealership to have it looked at for other things and they said it threw these codes. I had the spark plugs and wires fixed recently but the coils look a bit rusty around the bolt holes and old but the connectors to the plugs look clean. I took the coils off hopefully looking to find corrosion or an easy culprit but they all look about the same. I read in another thread about ways to check them involving an arc and unplugging the boots or whatever...that all seems like a different language to me/ I don't feel like electrocuting myself. Im trying to fix this one myself as the dealership quoted me at something absurd. Anyone that can help me find what's wrong here? :hmm: I would greatly appreciate it!!

·
Registered
99 Deville
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have no idea..just found a thread on it though so I will do that tomorrow and will post my findings. Could that throw the misfire code though? I already have the air box off seeing as my AFE air filter looks like it's charred (only had it on for about 15,000 miles)..which brings up a random question..is an oiled filter even worth it? or does a fram paper one do just fine

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,148 Posts
A paper Fram filter is just what the doctor (GM) ordered. It will flow all the air that the engine can ingest at 6000 RPM at WOT. An oiled filter has the tendency to get oil on the MAF sensor and cause problems.

Is that a picture of the TB with the throttle plate open or a shot of the inside of the manifold? If it's the TB bore, that is nasty and WAY overdue for a good cleaning.

·
Registered
99 Deville
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've looked at that thread and lots of other DIY ones on TB cleaning but no one gets deep down in there...how do i go about doing that?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,148 Posts
You don't need to get too deep. You just need to clean the TB bore and throttle plate. Don't forget the throttle plate perimeter where it mates to the TB bore. The inside of the manifold beyond the TB itself is irrelevant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts