Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving my 93 Northstar Eldo into work this AM, and had the SES light come on. Assumed it was the re-occuring P039 code I get all the time (Torque converter clutch engagement prob.) But when I checked the code it had an active P022. Does anyone know what this is?

Also in the history was P039, P056, P070, & P071. My wife had complained that the vehicle wasn't running right yesterday. Higher idle at stop signs, feeling like it wanted to take off when you let your foot off the brake... Kind of felt that way this AM also. Also has a noticeable surging at slower speeds, with RPM varying slightly.

I see that P056 has something to do with trans input speed sensor, could this be the problem with the surging? What are the other three codes pointing to? :helpless:

On a related trans. note, I bought this car a couple weeks ago and found the trans. fluid to be overfilled by at least 3 pints! I suctioned it down to the correct level at the proper operating temp. Hope this hadn't destroyed something in the trans!

Any help here greatly appreciated... :worship:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
sprucegoose said:
Was driving my 93 Northstar Eldo into work this AM, and had the SES light come on. Assumed it was the re-occuring P039 code I get all the time (Torque converter clutch engagement prob.) But when I checked the code it had an active P022. Does anyone know what this is?

Also in the history was P039, P056, P070, & P071. My wife had complained that the vehicle wasn't running right yesterday. Higher idle at stop signs, feeling like it wanted to take off when you let your foot off the brake... Kind of felt that way this AM also. Also has a noticeable surging at slower speeds, with RPM varying slightly.

I see that P056 has something to do with trans input speed sensor, could this be the problem with the surging? What are the other three codes pointing to? :helpless:

On a related trans. note, I bought this car a couple weeks ago and found the trans. fluid to be overfilled by at least 3 pints! I suctioned it down to the correct level at the proper operating temp. Hope this hadn't destroyed something in the trans!

Any help here greatly appreciated... :worship:
Most likely a combination of the TPS issue (the P070 code) and a ISC adjustment.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Katshot said:
Most likely a combination of the TPS issue (the P070 code) and a ISC adjustment.

Not sure what you mean by an ISC adjustment. Can you clarify that please?

I did see your reply to the other post regarding the chugging. I agree, I have to start looking back to basic mechanical things that can be wrong too. Not just electrical/computer related. Use that KISS system (keep it stupid simple) first! So far all the stuff I had go wrong with this car are all electrical. I think it has just reached that point with age and heat that things are starting to deteriorate.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Good possibility.
The ISC (Idle Speed Control) is one of those things that many people mess up while trying to correct an idle problem. Most people incorrectly figure that if the idle is low, just screw out the tip a little to adjust the idle up. WRONG.
Many people also unplug them, or just leave them to malfunction. Either way, they have a great deal to do with the idle speed and quality. They do NOT work alone though. They are controlled by the ECM, and influenced by inputs from several important sensors, including the TPS, MAP, MAT, just to name a few. Any of these inputs to the ECM can have a direct effect on what the ECM commands the ISC to do. And THAT's if it's working RIGHT. If you don't know much (or anything) about these parts or the system in general, I would STRONGLY suggest that you either trust the repair to a mechanic, or at least have one help you with it. The potential for damage to the car is high on this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts