1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac DHS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
a plenum is like an intake manifold on an older engine except with fuel injection it only distributes air to cylinders. The history post speaks to a potential crack or warp allowing too much air in, leaning out cylinders. Have your local Cad parts counter man show you the picture of the part and the seals required to replace it.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Actually for some reason on the newer N* the "plenum" is a rubber piece between the intake and the throttle body.
It has a tendency to crack at the bottom and cause a vacuum leak and lean exhaust codes.
Usually when this happens you'll get codes for both banks not just one, but the only way to really tell is by testing or looking at the fuel trim data.
The plenum failure is common on these as they get more miles on them.
I have some pictures of the parts at work.
Do you have some brake cleaner or choke spray?
I can tell you an easy way to check.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
Well I'll be dipped. I always thought that the plenum was the manifold and the rubber piece was a coupler.

·
Registered
Cadillac DHS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually for some reason on the newer N* the "plenum" is a rubber piece between the intake and the throttle body.
It has a tendency to crack at the bottom and cause a vacuum leak and lean exhaust codes.
Usually when this happens you'll get codes for both banks not just one, but the only way to really tell is by testing or looking at the fuel trim data.
The plenum failure is common on these as they get more miles on them.
I have some pictures of the parts at work.
Do you have some brake cleaner or choke spray?
I can tell you an easy way to check.
I have roughly 115K on the car now. If you could post up a picture that would be great. :worship:And yes I do have brake cleaner. At one time I was getting 2 of my banks running lean (I believe I was gettting a P0171 and a P0174 code) and after I replaced the spark plugs I've only been getting that one bank.

-Joe

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Ranger, you'd think that... on any other car if you look up a "plenum" you get the composite intake piece, but on the N* the catalog shows the plenum is just this piece and they just call the composite piece the intake.

Joe,
Get your brake clean, remove the beauty cover, start the car and spray at the base of the plenum in short bursts. The plenum is the rubber coupler with the big hose clamp right between the intake and the throttle body.
It usually develops a slit at the bottom that allows for air ingestion.
You should be able to immediately tell a difference in the idle speed and you might even hear the suction noise when the liquid gets drawn into the hole in the plenum.

I'll find a picture of one I recently did for another forum member and post it.

Here we go.
One is a close up of the slit in the boot, the other is a picture of pretty much everything you need to do the job.
You need to replace the 8 blue intake seals and the plenum.
The rest is just taking stuff apart and putting it back together.
The car will be very happy if you fix this.

I think they changed to this setup for 2000 up until the new DTS version.

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac DHS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I used the brake cleaner like you said and the idle got irregular like you said. Now the only thing I need to know is what is the easiest way to replace this part. I got a few pics as well. I think I'm looking at the right thing.

-Joe Smooth

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
Cadillac DHS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I got everything off and replaced all the parts and she's purring again. No more codes and idle is back to normal. :bouncy: Thanks for all the help. :)

-JoeSmooth:2thumbs:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Wow, sorry I missed your post earlier.
Glad you got it fixed.
Did you take any pictures of the procedure?

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Do either of you have a part number for the plenum and intake gaskets? And about how much did it cost you? Can any flamable spray be used to check for the vacuum leak or is just brake cleaner/choke spray recommended?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
Brake and choke cleaner ARE flammable. Guess that answers that question.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville
91 Posts
I have the same problem. If you have pictures could you post them. If you don't have any pictures could you post a step by step on what you did. I hope that you are a shade tree mechanic!!!

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I wouldn't use "anything flammable", I usually use brake clean or choke spray because they are on hand.
As far as part numbers go, I am not sure they are universal. I always recommend using the last 8 of the VIN and calling a GM parts department for pricing. They will give you part numbers and prices on the phone, then you can "shop around" for the best prices on those part numbers.
They might be the same, but not necessarily from year to year.
I have to get some of these for my Mom's Aurora, I can post the part numbers later but I don't know if they will be the same for your N*.

·
Registered
05 DTS 145k, 00 Deville 201k, 97 Deville 175k, 95 Vette 115k
29 Posts
Ok I got everything off and replaced all the parts and she's purring again. No more codes and idle is back to normal. :bouncy: Thanks for all the help. :)

-JoeSmooth:2thumbs:
I have the same problem too. (search forum for p1071) My parts should arrive today from Luke and I'll be putting them in soon. Looks pretty straight forward but nothing better than talking to someone who just did it. Any tips or gotcha's or order dependent steps to watch out for? I just replaced the injectors in my vette so I know what to look out for there.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It is really not too hard, it just takes a while.
You just need to follow steps to remove the fuel rail, then undo the 3 bolts that hold the plenum to the throttle body... sometimes that requires removing the throttle body first.
After that you just remove the bolts that hold the intake to the engine and work it out of there.
Replace all 8 seals and the plenum and put it all back together.
Torquing the bolts is good. ;)

You will probably notice an idle improvement right away.
Clear the codes and drive happy.
:D

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Do the blue seals come in a pack of 5? I told the dealership I needed 8 and they sadi they were 5 in a pack? They wanted $9 so I hope thats for 5 and not 1

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Yes they come in packs of 5.
It is the whole hot dogs/buns thing all over again.

You have to have 8, why they come in 5 packs I will never know.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
Do the blue seals come in a pack of 5? I told the dealership I needed 8 and they sadi they were 5 in a pack? They wanted $9 so I hope thats for 5 and not 1
Yes they come in packs of 5.
It is the whole hot dogs/buns thing all over again.

You have to have 8, why they come in 5 packs I will never know.

part number?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
PM member "Lindsay Cadillac Parts" with the last 8 digits of your VIN.
Luke will give you pricing and part numbers at your request.
I don't know them off hand.
We can certainly sell you 8 even though they come in 5 packs.
(at least I think they can, they sell them to our customers that way)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts