Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting a P0113 code occasionally (IAT Sensor) and I finally figured out what it is. I only get the code when it is raining or has just rained.

I opened the hood this morning (it was raining last night), the water ran off the hood into the lower windsheid drain area below the windshield wipers, then drained not to the sides of the car where it is supposed to go, but through the crack where the two pieces of rubber come together, and straight down onto my IAT sensor! :banghead:

This was probably how I got water in my knock sensor well while the maggie was off at Magnuson getting fixed. My car was parked in my driveway under some trees for the week, and the day that my maggie showed back up we had a damn near hurricane of a rain storm. I imagine there was a ton of water draining down through this crack at that point.

So now the question is how do I prevent it and seal this crack up? I imagine a ton of silicone in there may do the trick, but I still wonder what I did wrong when I put these pices back together after having them off for the wiper arm mod. Looking at where the two halfs meet, it doesn't look like the joint would have ever been very good at preventing water from leaking through.

Hopefully there is no long term damage done to the IAT sensor.

Anyone else noticed this issue on their car? Mainly those who have had these pieces off when installing a maggie?

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a pic of the spot I'm taking about:

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V (Blk, 6spd, Recaros), 2007 Cadillac CTS-V (sold)
717 Posts
i know what you're talking about... i took just the passenger side off the other week to install a new cabin air filter and when i put it back on i thought to myself "how the heck does this actually prevent water from getting in behind it" cause it doesn't seem to fit very snug to the windshield or where the two pieces meet.... suggestion would be to take both of em off, put a bead of silicone sealant up where the plastic meets the windshield and let it dry completely before putting back on... then affix the two halves together in a temporary fashion in case you ever need to take em off again.. possibly black duct tape?

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Dude, TG sooo jinxed you. You think this might be why you couldn't beat that civic? I'd go over there and pop him one :want:

Just messin with you. No violence :thehand:

I get a small drip. It might not even be from the rain, but from hosing the car down. Mine lands right on top of the Maggie.
Does yours drip onto the sensor? If so, might be time for some FR/IAT sensor covers.
I'd use a little silicone at a time. Just run a hose on the windshield, and put some more till she's dry.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
+1 for the clear silicon bead. I was gonna say "cuz silicon parts are made for toys" and real men would use a can of great stuff ROFL!

seriously though... I'd try the silicon.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude, TG sooo jinxed you. You think this might be why you couldn't beat that civic? I'd go over there and pop him one :want:

Just messin with you. No violence :thehand:

I get a small drip. It might not even be from the rain, but from hosing the car down. Mine lands right on top of the Maggie.
Does yours drip onto the sensor? If so, might be time for some FR/IAT sensor covers.
I'd use a little silicone at a time. Just run a hose on the windshield, and put some more till she's dry.
T.G. better duck and hide. :bouncer:

The water travels along the underside of where the weather stripping is until it is right above the IAT sensor, then drips straight down. :nono:

I am going to silicone the area up this weekend - we're supposed to have some beautiful weather. I might also try to make some sort of cover for the sensor as well to keep it dry.

I just sold my FRCs to Mystical.

·
Registered
05 Cadillac CTS-V
346 Posts
I've been having the same ****in issue. It had never leaked before prior to removal but as soon as I had put it back together I noticed drips onto the intake manifold. So far no sensor issues but that doesn't mean that damage isn't being done.

I had used masking tape as a temporary solution and it worked. I currently tried using 3m strip caulk but it ended up cracking up due to the heat. Now I've got some decent weather coming up myself so I'm going to try and find a solution for this bullshit engineering oversight.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I spent some time with some black silicone to seal the top of the sensor connector and also the joint of the windshield drain trays. After a couple rounds of filling cracks and letting everything dry, I poured a pitcher of water down the middle of the windshield quickly enough to let it pool right at the joint of the trays, and everything drained off to the sides of the car where it is supposed to.

Unfortunately, I think this fix came too late. The P0113 code came back, then went off, then came back again. I think the water over the last 6 months has caused a lot of damage to the IAT sensor.

The sensor itself is in a rubber plug that sits in the manifold and is secure by a small bracket. I am assuming with enough force this will just pull out and can easily be replaced. I will be contacting Magnuson on Monday to discuss it before I start yanking, plus there's no use in completely removing it until I have a replacement in hand.

I know there is a fat chance, but has anyone out there removed a maggie IAT sensor and disassembled/repaired/rebuilt it?

If I were to open it up and dry it out, clean it up etc maybe I can get around having to replace it. I have done that before with a VSS and it was fixed, but that more of a mechanical sensor. We'll see.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The IAT sensor used on the maggies is GM Part #12160244. Thank you Magnuson for making this simple!

Lingenfelter just happens to be dumping a bunch of them on ebay right for ~$20 shipped.

The wire harness that plugs into it is GM Part #12102620 or ACDelco #PT307. I'm not going to replace that yet, we'll see if just replacing the sensor solves the issue.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nice info.. I hope you can fit that in your tight :)florian:) budget!! :D

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
I just sold my FRCs to Mystical.
Sorry man :(
and they look awesome - encouraged me to detail the engine compartment last sunday. i can post pictures if that helps any :/

Or, seriously, if you want them back, i can send them back to you :(

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice info.. I hope you can fit that in your tight :)florian:) budget!! :D
:kick:

I'm having a hard time spending money on mods when I need $$$ to buy out the other half of my house. :banghead: If it wasn't for that I would have a 90mm TB & snout, 2.6 pulley and a cam put on my car ASAP.

Sorry man :(
and they look awesome - encouraged me to detail the engine compartment last sunday. i can post pictures if that helps any :/

Or, seriously, if you want them back, i can send them back to you :(
No man, it's all good! I've got plenty of other projects that I have been too lazy and busy to get around to to even think about trimming FRCs to fit around the maggie. You enjoy them! And I don't recall you posting pics yet. Lets see 'em!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
:kick:And I don't recall you posting pics yet. Lets see 'em!

Here you go :)

I spent a good 10 minutes 'detailling' the engine compartment, but i'm too scared to spray a hose in there (no way), and it's tough getting in between all the little grooves on the those wire cover things. i'm thinking of using compressed air and just blowing everything out. don't know what else to do, because i'm not going to go through it ridge at a time... that'd take hours.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good! :thumbsup: I think a small spray bottle and a toothbrush would make short work of those wire looms. I have been planning on doing that myself but haven't had the time.

P.S. get rid of those rusty exhaust manifolds and get some nice shiny headers!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
A TOOTHBRUTH! DUH! why didn't i think of that. geez, the only thing i was thinking i had at my disposal were paper towels, rags, and microfiber cloths, which are what i'd been using so far.:banghead:

As far as the headers - that happens this summer. Me and another V buddy on this forum are getting them done together, hoping the shop will give us a bit of a discount if we both do it at the same time ;) 1 7/8" kooks, coated, with electric cutouts right after the headers and before the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:

I got the new IAT sensor, installed it (very easy, unbolt retainer piece and pull out of rubber).

The P0113 code went away for today, until I left work to come home. It is back and showing as a current code. :banghead: It has been dry recently so there is no chance that it got wet in there.

Next step I guess is replacing the pigtail connector (GM Part #12102620 or ACDelco #PT307 or Standard part# S556).

Just ordered one for about $12 shipped from ballenger motorsports (www.bmotorsports.com).

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another Update:

The replacement sensor and connector were a waste of $$$.

I pulled the whole wiring harness from where the IAT wires split from the maf and pulled the wires out of the plastic wire loom.

The crimps on the MAF side came right apart as I was pulling. :bigroll:

Lesson for ya kids: forget the crimps, use SOLDER!!!!!!

I rewired the connector and soldered the wires and the code is finally gone.

That's all folks....
(still knocking on wood)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts