Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 cadillac srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok changed all timing chains and tensioners and guides its all timed right checked it 6 times just took it and had dealer do updates on ecm still have the same p0009 code why? i have checked the reluctor on the crank its fine it hasnt moved whats the deal with this car please help i need a fix so i can get tags

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
From the SM-
The engine control module (ECM) tests for a misalignment between both camshafts on one bank of the engine and the crankshaft. The misalignment would be at an idler sprocket for either bank or at the crankshaft. Once the ECM learns the position of both camshafts on one bank of the engine, the ECM compares the learned values to a reference value. The ECM will set a DTC if both learned values for one bank of the engine are exceeding a calibrated threshold in the same direction.
Re-check the driver side.

·
Registered
2007 cadillac srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have cleared the codes and even let it sit over night with the battery disconnected still comes up i have check i have checked it 6 times and its timed right im lost dont know what else to do for it it has all new coil packs and plugs still comes up

----------

do u think it might be the phaser or the solenoid?

----------

i cleared the code before i went to the dealer they told me if it comes back its the chains i told them they have already been done he didnt want to hear that cause the stealership wants 3k well screw that im not paying that when its not that hard to do i did and got it all right checked it 6 times before i put it back together its dead on time

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
The SM also says-
An incorrectly installed secondary timing chain can cause this DTC to set.
• A single failed camshaft actuator or actuator solenoid will not cause this DTC to set. This diagnostic algorithm is designed to detect an alignment condition between a primary intermediate sprocket and the secondary timing chain, or the alignment between a primary intermediate sprocket and the crankshaft. Either condition would cause the camshaft timing for both cams on one bank to be off an equal number of degrees.
There are 2 designs for '07, sure you used right one?

Protest all you want, the ECM is telling you there's a mis-alignment on the left bank. I'm guessing the sprocket. To me it looks a bitch to properly set.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Hmmm What happen to the post I put in?

Description

The engine control module (ECM) tests for a misalignment between both camshafts on one bank of the engine and the crankshaft. The misalignment would be at an idler sprocket for bank 2 or at the crankshaft. Once the ECM learns the position of both camshafts on one bank of the engine, the ECM compares the learned values to a reference value. If the ECM detects both learned values for one bank of the engine is exceeding a calibrated threshold in the same direction, this DTC sets.

DTC Descriptor

This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0009 Engine Position System Performance Bank 2

Conditions for Running the DTC

• DTCs P0010, P0011, P0013, P0014, P0020, P0021, P0023, P0024, P0341, P0342, P0343, P0346, P0347, P0348, P0366, P0367, P0368, P0391, P0392, P0393, P2088, P2089, P2090, P2091, P2092, P2093, P2094, and P2095 are not set.
• The engine is operating.
• The ECM has learned the camshaft positions.
• DTC P0009 runs continuously once the above conditions are met.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM detects that both camshafts on bank 2 of the engine are mis-aligned with the crankshaft for more than 4 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
• The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 4 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids

• Inspect the engine for any recent engine mechanical repairs. An incorrectly installed secondary timing chain can cause this DTC to set.
• A single failed camshaft actuator or actuator solenoid will not cause this DTC to set. This diagnostic algorithm is designed to detect an alignment condition between a primary intermediate sprocket and the secondary timing chain, or the alignment between a primary intermediate sprocket and the crankshaft. Either condition would cause the camshaft timing for both cams on one bank to be off an equal number of degrees.
• The presence of DTCs P0008 and P0009 along with P0016, P0017, P0018, and P0019 indicates a possible condition with the primary timing chain and the alignment between both intermediate sprockets and the crankshaft. Or, the crankshaft reluctor wheel has moved and is no longer referenced to top dead center (TDC).
• Observing the desired and actual camshaft angle parameters, with a scan tool before a DTC sets, may help to isolate whether a condition is specific to one camshaft, one bank, or caused by a condition with the primary crankshaft timing.
• For an intermittent condition, refer to Intermittent Conditions .
Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Inspect the crankshaft for a crankshaft position (CKP) reluctor wheel that has moved in its relationship to TDC on the crankshaft gear.

Step

Action

Yes

No

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?

YES-Go to Step 2

NO-Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle

Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
Start the engine.
Allow the engine to reach the normal operating temperature.
Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes or until a DTC sets.
Observe the DTC information with a scan tool.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?

YES-Go to Step 4

NO-Go to Step 3

Observe the Freeze Frame/Failure Records for this DTC.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.

YES-Go to Step 4

NO-Go to Diagnostic Aids

Inspect the timing chains and tensioners for excessive wear or misalignment. Refer to Camshaft Timing Drive Chain Alignment Diagram and Camshaft Timing Drive Components Cleaning and Inspection .

Did you find and correct the condition?

YES-Go to Step 6

NO-Go to Step 5

Inspect the crankshaft reluctor wheel for being mispositioned on the crankshaft. Refer to Crankshaft and Bearing Cleaning and Inspection .

Did you complete the repair?

YES-Go to Step 6

--

Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.

YES-Go to Step 2

NO-Go to Step 7

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?

YES-Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle

NO-System OK

·
Registered
2007 cadillac srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have read all that before but thank u for the info also its not that hard when u use a mirror to look and see if the colored link is in the eye hole window as i call it on the idler sprocket and it was lined up and yes i used the correct chains and sprockets im just wondering if its not the intake phaser on bank 2 throwing it off but i could be wrong i dont know

----------

and i have checked the reluctor wheel on the crank its perfect has not moved at all

----------

this is the kit i used made by DNJ/ TK3136

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Apparently you have done al that's suppose to be done, the only other thing is something electronic is sending the signal to your ECM and the ECM sending the signal back as a DTC, what part on the engine (from your repair area) tells the ECM you have a fault? Something electronic has to relay a message, probably no help to you but just thinking out loud.
Bad ECM?

·
Registered
2007 cadillac srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i thought the samething but when the stealership did the update wouldnt they have told me it was bad what was funny is he told me that at first it was gonna be $145 for the update and it will take an hour i was there maybe 45 mins ans he came back and said its all done i said what u mean its done he said i went and did the update i said what do i owe u total he said nothing it seemed funny me at first because before anything he went and talked to his boss in another room where i couldnt hear them and i can see them through the glass hell i own a custom shop and if i was sketchy i could do the samething but im not i could do a print out and put on there i did an update to on the paper and not do it i really believe thats what they did because he said before anything got done oh the update has already been done i said could u check for me anyways just to make sure he said wellllllll ok i guess i can have them check i call BS but what can i do because he didnt charge me so i couldnt say nothing i really dont think they did anything but wash the car and thats it i wanted to pay the $145 but he refused yeah so i couldnt take it back thats why damn stealerships i hate them i will never buy another GM product again all because this car they cant seem to get there heads out of there asses excuse me for saying that well i wish i could fix this car so i can sell it and get rid of it might have to for parts i guess not worth anything like this but a paper weight im done with GM they go for looks and not mechanical workings sorry just venting im so frustrated going back to ford atleast they got there stuff together but thought i give GM another try i was wrong so the government and china can keep GM there all junk unless they are 1972 and down that when GM was real well thank you all for all your help if you have anymore ideas please let me know thank u so much everyone

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
It takes mins to do a update on a ECM. I would not think they would charge for that? its a simple hookup (requires special OBD II connector that connects to a laptop, I am sure GM uses a special gadget to upload the ECM) to your OBD II connection and get the current info off your ECM, then via a program to download the update to the ECM.

Do not feel bad, I already spent most of my holiday money on current repairs and have opted out from using this truck for a holiday drive.
If you ever sort out the problem please post so others can learn.
Good luck

·
Registered
2007 cadillac srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i will i just have a feeling its the phaser they say it wont throw a code i call BS on that cause if the phaser is off then that means the timing will be off too cam sensor will know and will throw a code but like i said it says it wont but i call bull on that

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Lets break down the componets

Camshaft Timing Componets

(150) Crankshaft Sprocket
(152) Primary Timing Chain Tensioner
(153) Timing Chain Tensioner Bolt
(155) Primary Timing Chain
(158) Primary Timing Chain Guide
(159) Timing Chain Guide and Shoe Bolt
(160) Camshaft Intermediate Drive Shaft Sprocket
(161) Camshaft Intermediate Drive Shaft Sprocket Bolt
(162) Camshaft Intermediate Drive Shaft
(163) Camshaft Intermediate Drive Shaft Bolt
(170) Secondary Timing Chain
(170) Secondary Timing Chain
(171) Secondary Timing Chain Guide
(171) Secondary Timing Chain Guide
(173) Left Secondary Timing Chain Shoe
(175) Left Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner
(183) Right Secondary Timing Chain Shoe
(185) Right Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner
(189) Camshaft Position Actuator Oil Control Valve
(189) Camshaft Position Actuator Oil Control Valve
(190) Left Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator
(191) Left Intake Camshaft Position Actuator
(193) Right Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator
(194) Right Intake Camshaft Position Actuator

Cylinder Head Assemblies

(300) Left Cylinder Head
(301) Right Cylinder Head
(302) Left Cylinder Head Gasket
(303) Right Cylinder Head Gasket
(310) Cylinder Head Bolt - M11
(311) Cylinder Head Front Bolt - M6
(312) Cylinder Head Coolant Hole Expansion Plug
(313) Cylinder Head Coolant Hole Plug
(314) Cylinder Head Coolant Hole Plug Seal Ring
(315) Cylinder Head Oil Gallery Plug
(315) Cylinder Head Oil Gallery Plug
(316) Cylinder Head Oil Gallery Plug Ring
(316) Cylinder Head Oil Gallery Plug Ring
(317) Engine Oil Gallery Restrictor
(317) Engine Oil Gallery Restrictor
(320) Exhaust Valve
(321) Intake Valve
(322) Valve Rocker Arm Assembly
(323) Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjuster Assembly
(324) Valve Stem Oil Seal
(325) Valve Spring
(326) Valve Spring Cap
(327) Valve Stem Key
(330) Left Exhaust Camshaft
(331) Left Intake Camshaft
(332) Right Intake Camshaft
(333) Right Exhaust Camshaft
(334) Cylinder Head Front Camshaft Cap
(335) Cylinder Head Front Camshaft Cap
(336) Cylinder Head Camshaft Cap
(337) Cylinder Head Camshaft Cap Bolt
(338) Camshaft Sprocket Locating Pin
(340) Left Camshaft Position Actuator Housing
(341) Right Camshaft Position Actuator Housing
(342) Left Camshaft Position Actuator Housing Gasket
(343) Right Camshaft Position Actuator Housing Gasket
(344) Camshaft Position Actuator Housing Pin
(345) Camshaft Position Actuator Housing Stud - Short
(345) Camshaft Position Actuator Housing Stud - Short
(346) Camshaft Position Actuator Housing Stud - Long
(346) Camshaft Position Actuator Housing Stud - Long
(347) Camshaft Position Actuator Housing Bolt
(625) Cylinder Head Exhaust Manifold Stud
(711) Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
(725) Camshaft Position Sensor
(726) Camshaft Position Sensor O-Ring
(727) Camshaft Position Sensor Bolt
(735) Camshaft Position Actuator Magnet
(736) Camshaft Position Actuator Magnet Bolt
(737) Camshaft Position Actuator Magnet Plug
(738) Camshaft Position Actuator Magnet Plug O-Ring

See any position sensors that could send a signal to your ECM?

Component Assemblies

(5) Engine Long Block Assembly
(14) Oil Filter Adapter Assembly
(16) Oil Level Indicator Assembly
(405) Oil Pump Suction Pipe
(406) Oil Pump Suction Pipe Gasket
(407) Oil Pump Suction Pipe Bolt
(408) Oil Pump Suction Pipe Nut
(441) Oil Filter Adapter Gasket
(442) Oil Filter Adapter Bolt
(449) Oil Filter
(480) Oil Pump Outlet Tube
(481) Oil Pump Outlet Tube O-ring
(482) Oil Pump Outlet Tube Bolt
(600) Left Exhaust Manifold and Converter
(601) Left Exhaust Manifold Gasket
(610) Left Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield
(611) Left Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield Bolt
(620) Right Exhaust Manifold and Converter
(621) Right Exhaust Manifold Gasket
(623) Cylinder Head Exhaust Manifold Nut
(624) Cylinder Head Exhaust Manifold Bolt
(630) Right Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield
(631) Right Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield Bolt
(720) Crankshaft Position Sensor
(721) Crankshaft Position Sensor O-ring
(722) Crankshaft Position Sensor Bolt
(723) Knock Sensor
(723) Knock Sensor
(724) Knock Sensor Bolt
(724) Knock Sensor Bolt
(790) Starter Motor
(791) Starter Motor Bolt
(792) Starter Motor Solenoid Cable Nut - Larger
(793) Starter Motor Solenoid Cable Nut - Small
(794) Battery Positive and Negative Starter Cable
(795) Bracket Bolt
(796) Crankshaft Position Sensor and Knock Sensor Wiring Harness
(797) Bracket

More sensors

·
Registered
2007 cadillac srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok i know about all this but hows this suppose to help me?

----------

i know what everything is already so im not following on what u are doing here

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
There are senors throughout, do you recognize any that would sent a signal to your ECM, could be one of them are out.

I have tried to help, but since you know everything, I cannot assist you any longer.

·
Registered
2007 cadillac srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i thank u for your help i really do im just lost because if it was a sensor shouldnt it throw a code for that sensor??

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
One can only break this down is steps, if it is not the sensors and they are functioning as should and you say everything is correct in your repair, then that leaves the ECM, and if the ECM is good then its back to square 1, its at the point where you started the repairs, something there is not correct, but you said it is. I cannot come up with any more suggestions.
It would take someone like Glake93 to give better advice.

·
Registered
2007 cadillac srx
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
is Glake93 around maybe he might have something new on it thank u again for your help

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
He's still around but can only repeat he thinks the problem is in the alignment of the intermediate sprocket, either on the primary or secondary chain. I understand no one wants to believe something was missed and the damn thing has to be taken apart again but I don't know what else to tell you. If you want to replace parts to see if it will work, go ahead, it's your money. Me, I'd bite the bullet and go back and re-check my work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts